The file was not saved...try save to another disc...blabla..

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The file was not saved...try save to another disc...blab

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

There's a lot I'm not understanding in this thread, like: why not save to the HD and copy to a flash drive in the Finder?

Reminds me of the guy who complained of a pain in his eye whenever he drank coffee. The solution was to remove the spoon before drinking.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:There's a lot I'm not understanding in this thread, like: why not save to the HD and copy to a flash drive in the Finder?

Reminds me of the guy who complained of a pain in his eye whenever he drank coffee. The solution was to remove the spoon before drinking.
Exactly. I don't save DP projects to a USB flash drive, even if I'm transferring them from my tower to my laptop. I always save them to a portable USB hard drive (WD 320GB) if I need to
transfer them to laptop or to a friend who lives in my area. If I need to send them to someone
outside of my area, I use Hightail (formerly YouSendIt).
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:Still not understanding why anyone would run Fat32 for DP 7.24 which is Mac only.
Right, but I think the file format for projects hasn't changed—for example, I'm pretty sure DP7 can open a project saved with DP8.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
kats_corner

Post by kats_corner »

I have seen the same sort of thing happening if the file system is not friendly to a Mac. I have a Western Digital My Cloud Drive, 3TB, to which I cannot save newly recorded audio files from within DP. I can open a project, play it back, play with the mix all I want. But when I try to save the project, it will not do it. Also anytime I try to record to this drive, I see the waveform building, but when I press STOP the waveform just disappears with no audio file to be found anywhere.

At this point, my best guess is that there is a field in the HFS file system on which DP depends, but this field does not exist in certain other file systems, including whatever is used on the WD My cloud; and apparently also on FAT32.

My current workaround is to simply put a project inside a .dmg virtual disk, and use that on the MyCloud. No help for sharing w/pc users that way though.

Just my 2 cents.... ;-)

sent via tapatalk....
Ken: Owner/Engineer, KaT's Corner Recording
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I format my USB sticks to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), with another partition in (MS DOS FAT16) when I need dual compatibility. I think Waves required the latter formatting for their authorization drive. Whether it did or didn't, I have it on the MS DOS partition, and I doubt I'd have done that without good reason. Most of my USB sticks are just formatted for Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

If you're doing DP files for dual-OS compatibility, you're going to need DP8. I'm not sure whether DP7 can read from or write to MS DOS drives without errors. I'm pretty sure DP8 can. Final word would be from MOTU or someone else here, as I don't use Windows.

But I'm very careful about my drive formatting. Someone said that a WD My Passport drive wouldn't save DP files. I use a 2TB My Passport drive for remote recording, and it's never had any kind of problem. Again, it's formatted to Mac OS Extended. In fact, I have 5 My Passport drives, all of which have performed flawlessly since I've owned them. Amazing little drives!

Shooshie

[edit] I see that it wasn't a My Passport drive, but a My Cloud drive. Still, if they're formatted for Mac OS Extended, I cannot imagine any reason why it would be a problem. [/edit]
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
kats_corner

Post by kats_corner »

I'm the one with the MyCloud. The problem is, it's not just a dumb network drive. It's a fully embedded Linux system, with one huge partition. I have logged into it with SSH, and it is not a series of separate shares, it is one large file system which is seen through different doorways "called" shares, into the same physical disk space. It then uses the authentication system driven by the under laying Linux system to allow access to that drive on both, the local lan and through the internet. Linux does not scare me, I spent a decade as a UNIX sysadmin. But I also know that Linux will get a little cranky if the file system is not what it expects. Therefore, I am unwilling to reformat it at this point in time. Hence my dmg workaround. :-)

sent via tapatalk....
Ken: Owner/Engineer, KaT's Corner Recording