The file was not saved...try save to another disc...blabla..

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Klaus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

The file was not saved...try save to another disc...blabla..

Post by Klaus »

This happens here 100% repeatable when I open a DP project from an USB 64GB stick...

Of coarse the USB stick is not mac formated...

I have no clue why this is happening... :mrgreen:

I normally work from a WD 1TB USB drive, but this 64GB is a Kingston Data Traveler 2.0 with a MBR partition map, and is very handy :P

anyone can help ?

Thanks

Klaus
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: The file was not saved...try save to another disc...blab

Post by NazRat »

If the USB thumb drive is formatted Windows NTFS, unless you have additional software installed on your Mac, it is Read Only. I've been formatting session thumb and external hard drives to ExFat with no problems. ExFat formatting is an option on both the Mac and PC if you're looking for cross platform compatibility without investing in additional software.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Try making the usb thing ignore ownership (command-i).

Also, isn't that format type like really limited in terms of allowed characters and the number of characters in the paths of files?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

I've let it untouched as factory...
Name : 64KINGSTON
Format : MS-DOS FAT32
Partition map : MBR (Master Boot Record)

There is no 'ignore ownership' in the get info window...

???

Should I erase with a Mac ?
I think formating a stick as HFS is not recommended / working... ?

Thanks

Klaus
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Klaus wrote:I've let it untouched as factory...
Name : 64KINGSTON
Format : MS-DOS FAT32
Partition map : MBR (Master Boot Record)

There is no 'ignore ownership' in the get info window...

???

Should I erase with a Mac ?
I think formating a stick as HFS is not recommended / working... ?

Thanks

Klaus
I don't think there's anything at all wrong with formatting a stick as Mac OS Extended is there? Why wouldn't you if you're working with Mac files?

Also, I don't know if this will help you but there's a driver that allows Macs to read and write to NTFS partitions. There's a page here that gives some explanation. They want $19.95 for it.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

I did, however, find what seems to be the same sort of thing by the same company for free at another link here:

http://www.seagate.com/support/download ... master-dl/

After installing you can format and write to NTFS discs. I used this in an involved procedure I found on the internet to allow me to use an older version of Bootcamp and have a Windows XP partition on my Mavericks machine. Installing should let you go ahead and start using NTFS-formatted sticks without problems, but it seems simpler just to format it has HFS (Journaled). I don't even see the non-journaled option anymore on Mavericks.

FWIW... here's a vid of me copying a file to an NTFS volume that appears on my desktop like any other. I even formatted the partition as NTFS from my Mavericks machine using the free installer at the 2nd (Seagate) link above:

JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Thank James :D

It's not NTFS but MS-DOS FAT32

I suspect DP not being able to write to MS-DOS FAT32 fast enough ( maybe Apple couldn't handle this with SL still ? ) or at all

Anyone knows for sure DP 7.24 is happy with MS-DOS FAT32 ?

Thanks

and
best regards

Klaus
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

Try reformatting to ExFAT or HFS+ to see if that clears things up. It may be a speed issue . . . or try switching USB ports if you haven't already. If you were getting -36 errors, there's a workaround for that, but in that case reformatting to HFS+ would make more sense if PCs aren't involved.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I may be missing something here. Why don't you just format it for Mac OS Extended which I'm assuming is what you mean by HFS+? Why would you storing Mac files on something that is not formatted for Mac? Confused. :shock:

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

James, I can open and 'run' the project from MS-DOS FAT32... so next logical in the history of
DP is be able to work cross platform...and write too to MS-DOS FAT32.

I'm trying to sell DP for WIN to a friend's WIN based studio and thus I'll need to be able to read / write from / to both platforms, I just want to read write onto what he gives me.
It's always a hassle ( still ... ) with Mac people ( me included ) regarding compatibility...
We are a minority and I respect that and try to find ways...
Once everything is 100% compatible, I 'may' buy a copy of DP 8 and move on...
:mrgreen:
No offence intended... just trying to solve some...

best

Klaus
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Maybe it's a language issue, you say "file not saved" when you OPEN from a USB stick. Is this error happening when you open the project, or it opens fine, but when you try to SAVE it, it doesn't work? Are you trying to save directly to the USB stick? Certainly you're not running the project directly off the stick as that's not very fast. So if you copy the project on to your hard drive and then open it, it doesn't work?

It's not very clear exactly in what part of the process the error happens. I would think you'd copy a project onto your hard drive, then work on it, and then when done copy it back to the stick. Again... confused.

NazRat

Post by NazRat »

Since you're trying to be cross platform, there is no 7.xx version available for the PC, so that could be source of some issues - i.e. last I looked at 7.xx (which was a while ago) it was still maintaining two session files - one with and one without the .dpdoc extension. IMHO, currently the best disk format to support both platforms without any additional disk driver software on either platform is exFAT and works with everything from USB drives to multi-TB hard drives. It's fully mature on both the most recent releases of both OSs and I have had no issues moving sessions back and forth between the Mac and PC (both DP and PT). If you dealing with much older versions of the respective OSs, then it may not be an option.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

James Steele wrote:Maybe it's a language issue, you say "file not saved" when you OPEN from a USB stick. Is this error happening when you open the project, or it opens fine, but when you try to SAVE it, it doesn't work? Are you trying to save directly to the USB stick? Certainly you're not running the project directly off the stick as that's not very fast. So if you copy the project on to your hard drive and then open it, it doesn't work?

It's not very clear exactly in what part of the process the error happens. I would think you'd copy a project onto your hard drive, then work on it, and then when done copy it back to the stick. Again... confused.
Opening and playing the 19 tracks from the USB stick fine
After a while, autosave pops up the error....not saved blablabla...
Also saving before autosave launches - isn't possible, error pops up too
For working really I copy the project onto my drives of coarse

I just don't get it why it plays fine but can't be saved in this case

Klaus
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

NazRat wrote:If the USB thumb drive is formatted Windows NTFS, unless you have additional software installed on your Mac, it is Read Only. I've been formatting session thumb and external hard drives to ExFat with no problems. ExFat formatting is an option on both the Mac and PC if you're looking for cross platform compatibility without investing in additional software.
Is this a recent thing? After using Windows formatted drives for various purposes over the years without problems, I've started seeing the problem Klaus reported in the year or so. As you say, something other than NTFS has to be used.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Klaus wrote:
James Steele wrote:Maybe it's a language issue, you say "file not saved" when you OPEN from a USB stick. Is this error happening when you open the project, or it opens fine, but when you try to SAVE it, it doesn't work? Are you trying to save directly to the USB stick? Certainly you're not running the project directly off the stick as that's not very fast. So if you copy the project on to your hard drive and then open it, it doesn't work?

Opening and playing the 19 tracks from the USB stick fine
After a while, autosave pops up the error....not saved blablabla...
Also saving before autosave launches - isn't possible, error pops up too
For working really I copy the project onto my drives of coarse

I just don't get it why it plays fine but can't be saved in this case

Klaus
Not sure, but I know that often write times to USB sticks are much slower than reading. Working directly from a USB stick seems intuitively like a bad idea to me. Why not just copy the project to your hard drive, work on it there, and when you're finished, copy back to the USB stick?

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Not sure, but I know that often write times to USB sticks are much slower than reading. Working directly from a USB stick seems intuitively like a bad idea to me. Why not just copy the project to your hard drive, work on it there, and when you're finished, copy back to the USB stick?
Zip the file first (right-click and Archive on a Mac). This keeps permissions and headers intact. Un-zipping on the other machine allows the system to assign privileges correctly.

Still not understanding why anyone would run Fat32 for DP 7.24 which is Mac only.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro