Tough to scroll horizontally in Track vw with Magic Trackpad

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MDesigner
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Tough to scroll horizontally in Track vw with Magic Trackpad

Post by MDesigner »

Anyone else notice this? When doing 2-finger scroll horizontally in the Track window, it doesn't seem to always register. Scrolling elsewhere (vertical or horizontal) seems to be just fine.
Sam Hulick
Composer
http://samhulick.com
Social Media: [ Twitter | Facebook ]
Shooshie

Re: Tough to scroll horizontally in Track vw with Magic Trac

Post by Shooshie »

Yep.

It's a problem. I've asked MOTU to look into it, but truth be told, I've seen the same thing in many apps. Some just do it to a greater degree than others. I think it has to do with how sensitive they are to scrolling. Obviously DP is very sensitive and scrolls very smoothly and rapidly. But some apps have only coarse scrolling. Ironically, they work smoothly in OSX 10.9, because you just don't see the jerking. But it's happening in lots of apps, if not all.

I've tried everything. I got rid of JiTouch, tried a different Magic Trackpad, and studied my logs for probably 40 hours or more. I never found a cure, and I'm using JiTouch again, as I can't live without it.

There are other issues, too, mainly in Safari, but I won't go into all that.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Hey, Shooshie. I just wanted to resuscitate this thread to ask if anyone has tinkered with system prefs like mouse &/or trackpad tracking speed to see if other settings produced better results? I was also wondering if other utilities like Steermouse might be causing some fights over direction.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

We are on mountain lion on all our rigs, so take that into consideration, but we have no trouble with horizontal trackpad moves at all. In Seq Editor, MIDI editor, or TO. All seems peachy.

Is this a Mavericks thing?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
MDesigner

Post by MDesigner »

I'm on Mtn Lion and horizontal scroll in the Track Overview is sort of non-responsive. But who knows, I could be due for a good ol' Archive & Install. :)
Sam Hulick
Composer
http://samhulick.com
Social Media: [ Twitter | Facebook ]
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

For me it was entirely a Mavericks thing. Everything worked perfectly in Mountain Lion. Not a hitch, not a glitch.

Stubbsonic, I've fiddled with every control that could possibly be associated with this. Nothing has produced even the slightest change. It's been a while since I worked on it, though. There could be changes somewhere.

The Safari bug seems to be over and done with, but then I don't use the three-finger swipe anymore for page-forward, page-backward. It may still be there for the 3-finger swipe. (Safari would freeze, all commands becoming unresponsive, when you used the swipe for a while)

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It was a funny coincidence that as I was monkeying around with this yesterday my trackpad just stopped working altogether. But started working again after a restart.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

stubbsonic wrote:It was a funny coincidence that as I was monkeying around with this yesterday my trackpad just stopped working altogether. But started working again after a restart.

Were you in Safari?

Did you test it in other apps?

If you were in Safari, then that's the Safari bug I was talking about. It becomes completely unresponsive to the trackpad. Actually, if you observe closely, when doing a 3-finger swipe in Safari and it becomes unresponsive, you'll find that the HEADER of the page is actually changing page when you swipe. The rest of the page stands frozen. Only the header changes.

I stopped using 3-finger swipes for page forward/back, now using two stationary fingers and one finger L or R. (it's a JiTouch thing) That seems to have stopped the problem.

Even now, sometimes I find that I can no longer zoom a page or a photo with the pinch-expand gestures with two fingers. A restart always sets it working again. I'm incredulous that Apple has let this happen.

Also, there are problems with QuickLook in the Finder, Mail, and wherever else you find QuickLook. It will no longer do a slideshow at full screen, but only displays the pictures at their actual sizes. Actually, I found a work-around, but its not something most people would find:
1) open all selected pictures in the Finder by using the spacebar alone.
2) when the first picture opens, resize it manually, dragging a side a little bit to give it a custom-frame.
3) after resizing the first picture, click on the full-screen diagonal arrows at the top right of the picture frame. It will open to full-screen graphics.
4) Click "Play" and all the pictures will play back at full-screen.

I found that trick after a couple months of trying everything I could think of. For some reason it just came to me one day, and it worked! (because if you resize the graphic frame in QuickLook, all pictures will zoom to that frame) Still, it's a travesty that we have to resort to tricks to get normal function from such essential features.

Shooshie