overdubbing CC automation silences MIDI notes….?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

overdubbing CC automation silences MIDI notes….?

Post by Michael Canavan »

This is perplexing. Recorded a part on a hardware synth, which sends CC information to DP8, so selecting overdub I attempt to record automation live into the same track and it stops playing the notes? Is this normal?
The solution seems to be recording the CC automation on a separate track?
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Shooshie

Re: overdubbing CC automation silences MIDI notes….?

Post by Shooshie »

Michael Canavan wrote:This is perplexing. Recorded a part on a hardware synth, which sends CC information to DP8, so selecting overdub I attempt to record automation live into the same track and it stops playing the notes? Is this normal?
Doesn't seem right, but I do not know if it is normal or not, because...
Michael Canavan wrote: The solution seems to be recording the CC automation on a separate track?
This is what I usually do, regardless. It's just easier for me to manage more tracks for more CC's. If I want to merge them, it's easy beyond words in the Tracks Overview Window. Or, to replace only the same data-type, double click one of it's type and delete after refining the selection to the desired range; then merge. Since the advent of Track Folders, I've seen little need to merge tracks; just put them in a folder together.

Some situations and circumstances may be easier with other methods; I'm flexible.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
magnumpraw
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by magnumpraw »

This is an odd behavior and is still happening. Has anyone from MOTU ever commented on why this happens? I work also with Cubase and Pro Tools as well and neither exhibits this problem.

It's a little frustrating to have to use separate tracks. With today's modern sample libraries, there are too many controllers to be able to get it all in one pass and overdubs for CC's are kinda required.
DP 8.07
Apogee Symphony Thunderbolt
Mac Pro 2013 8 Core 64 GB RAM
frankf

Post by frankf »

Maybe DP9's new Automation Lanes will help here.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Almost a corollary to my own problems with MIDI notes this week.

I'm with Shooshie in terms of recording MIDI automation to a separate track (though I rarely use that feature).

Nevertheless, the results you got with Overwrite Mode do not jive with my understanding of what the user manual says.

I did, however, try what you did, a half a year or so ago when I was experimenting, and got the same results. I too was perplexed, but it wasn't a do-or-die feature for me so I moved on. I thought maybe it had to do with look-ahead and maybe the re's a discrepancy between how notes vs. automation-triggering CC's are handled in that regard, resulting in silence?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

As per my separate quest to solve recent problems with VI volume levels slamming to max after hitting the play button even during blank MIDI sections, see if the following may pertain to your problem with overdubbing CC automation:

I am starting to get more suspicious of the two checkboxes under "Automation Preferences" which are now selected by default. One says Overwrite Mode changes to Touch after pass, and the other says Solo & Play Phrase override mute automation.

Even after reading the user manual, I don't quite understand all of that, but I'm betting the Overwrite Mode setting may be behind your specific problem.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Automation mode, mate, automation mode...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here