Video playback causing CPU spikes

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Tripi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Video playback causing CPU spikes

Post by Tripi »

Has anyone noticed in 8.06 that some videos cause spikes in the performance, which (in my case) results in clicks and pops? I'm using Vienna Pro, and it is certainly a big template, but not something my computer can't handle. If I take the video out, the performance meter goes way down. Has anyone found the most optimized video settings for DP8? I know we've gone over this in the past, but I have been out of the loop for a bit.

thanks!
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
Tripi

Re: Video playback causing CPU spikes

Post by Tripi »

Maybe I should ask it a different way: Has anyone tried using any of MOTU's video boxes to handle video playback? I want to keep the video on my computer in my DP screenset. If I use something like the HD Express box, will it take the processing / codec decoding heavy lifting off of my computer's processor, and still display it as usual?
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

You might find some useful infio in this topic: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =video+cpu
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
frankf

Post by frankf »

Tripi, are you running the video from a unique drive? Also, I've been running QT h.264. Also, I ran video from a RAM disk and it' divert smooth. I use Make RAM disk. Leave originals somewhere safe, of course.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

Thanks for the ideas. I do run video from a dedicated video drive (over FW), and it is H264. I didn't consider the ram disk option yet. Charlie offered to let me come over and see that video slave software in action, so I can look in to that too. Just never been the same since DP8 re-wrote the video engine. Wish this wasn't such a time suck trouble shooting it.
KarlSutton

Post by KarlSutton »

You could try making them prores - bigger files but less processing needed. I'm running prores off of the internal SSD & no playback issues
MPB 17" 2.66 i7/8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, DP 7.24, 828 mkII, Ethno 1 via Ultimate Soundbank, MX4, MSI, Komplete 9, Ivory, Stylus RMX.

for a time:MacPro6,1 3Ghz 8 core 32GB RAM
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

I haven't seen that suggested before. Is prores a codec? (Pro-Res?)

thanks!
dix

Post by dix »

DP8's video engine is incompatible with older video cards. I had to upgrade my card from the stock 256mb NVIDIA to run video with DP8. Any video whatsoever was causing spikes and system wide slow-down until I got a newer card. I think your machine is newer than mine (you're able to run 10.8.x, which I can not), but it's something to look into.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com