Patch Change Inconsistencies with NI Komplete Synths?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Todzilla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Patch Change Inconsistencies with NI Komplete Synths?

Post by Todzilla »

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem or has found a reasonable workaround:

I have projects that heavily leverage NI Komplete synths as VIs. I have some Patch Changes I've embedded into the MIDI data. For some of these synths (particularly Massive), these changes don't always seem to work on playback. Some do, some don't. FWIW, they seem to be worse when I Bounce to Disk.

Is it possible that these patch changes are the lowest priority events to DP when taxed, or Massive is churning so hard it doesn't have time to make the patch change?

I have a pretty beefed up machine (see signature), but I'll look at its Performance indicators when this happens.

I'm on the verge of printing the audio from these synths and saying to hell with playing them as VIs, but I thought I'd ask.

Regards,
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Patch Change Inconsistencies with NI Komplete Synths?

Post by David Polich »

What are your patch change numbers? As far as I know, you can only specify bank and then
patch 1-127. That doesn't work if the VI has close to 2000 patches organized by category instead of banks.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Todzilla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Patch Change Inconsistencies with NI Komplete Synths?

Post by Todzilla »

David,

Thanks for responding. I'm just opening the MIDI event viewer window for the MIDI track controlling the NI instrument (in this case, Massive). I'm inserting a patch change and specifying a number (typically just between 1 and 16) corresponding to the number of a patch as it appears in the program list.

Sometimes the patch change works, sometimes not. No apparent pattern, and the problem is noticeably worse when doing Bounce to Disk. It's not like the patch change doesn't work. It's just inconsistent and doesn't seem to be following a discernible pattern.

It may be that I'm maxing out the demands of my machine, but with 16G RAM, a Quad Core i7 and a SSD, I'm not so sure, even with a project that has maybe 9 VIs, a couple instances of CPU hungry processors and a little audio.
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos