Track comments not appearing in Track Inspector...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Track comments not appearing in Track Inspector...

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

In DP8.06, I just noticed that whatever comments I see in the tracks in the TO, do not appear in the comments field of the Track Inspector.

Shouldn't they be equivalent and the Track Inspector mirror whatever there is in the tracks?

Also, typing comments in the TI will not update the comments in the TO. I wonder why this is?

Thanks!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Re: Track comments not appearing in Track Inspector...

Post by FMiguelez »

Can anyone please confirm this?
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Not entirely confirmed. Works for me. But I had to reselect the track to get it to show up, and click in the comments box.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thank you.

I will do as you say tomorrow to see if it works like that.

But even then, I think this is some kind of bug, because reselecting and clicking on the comments field should not be necessary, otherwise it defeats its purpose.

Just like the Channel Strip updates on its own to reflect the currently selected track, the Track Inspector should behave the same way, correct?

Little but annoying bug.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:Just like the Channel Strip updates on its own to reflect the currently selected track, the Track Inspector should behave the same way, correct?
Correct. It is not working properly.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Yeah, that's another one that needs fixing.

Folks, it's sort of our obligation here to send these in to MOTU. I knew this was going to happen when they finally went 100% Cocoa, for that required rewriting a lot of code. Such rewrites invariably mean that little loose ends like this get missed. When anything fails to function as it used to, don't assume that MOTU made that a decision. Assume that it was a back-door patch in the old code that got missed in the new code. That's how this stuff works.

On the bright side, Cocoa environments are much easier to fix and to expand on than the old code. It tends to be more modular, and overall much more accessible. Old coders would argue with that, because they were comfortable in the old coding environments, but I think most people agree that changes in the new code are easier in the long run.

So, when you find something, post it here, get confirmation, then report to MOTU. And if everyone who reads it and confirms it on their own will also report to MOTU, we'll get more attention and possibly faster fixes.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Point well taken.

What's the best way to make MOTU aware of these things? Their regular tech support tickets?

I've been adding to a text file all the anomalies and little bugs I've discovered as I discover them.
So far they are 3 or 4 little things, but I'll be glad when they fix them. I'll post them in MOTUNation and I'll contact MOTU about them.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

FMiguelez wrote:Point well taken.

What's the best way to make MOTU aware of these things? Their regular tech support tickets?

I've been adding to a text file all the anomalies and little bugs I've discovered as I discover them.
So far they are 3 or 4 little things, but I'll be glad when they fix them. I'll post them in MOTUNation and I'll contact MOTU about them.
I used to make a list, explain each one as precisely as I could explain it so that they will be able to duplicate it without fail, then I'd send it to MOTU in a single (big) letter in the US Mail. I've made a large number of reports via the tech support tickets, and sometimes those get a response. Other times they never seem to get opened.

To be sure that I've done the best I can, I'll do the tech support ticket, then call them up. I haven't sent them a snail-mail letter in a long time, but I'm always thinking about starting that again. Might get more attention that way. I don't know.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|