What would you like to see in a controller for DP?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
zaratero
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What would you like to see in a controller for DP?

Post by zaratero »

Killahurts wrote:
bayswater wrote:I'd like to see changes to DP itself in how it responds to MC/HUI emulation controllers. Currently, changing fader banks on the controller changes track selection in the DP Mixer window so only the tracks active in the controller are displayed in the window. I'd like to be able to set the Mixer window track selection, and have it stay as set.
This! ^^^^^^^

And, in the TO, selecting a track with the mouse should cause the Bank/channel on the controller to jump to that selection. Also, there should be an option for fader-touch = selection.. I do believe Logic supports this, so I know it can be done.
I don´t know if I´m understanding you correctly, but there´s a preference in the MCU itself to link the selected tracks to the mackie or not ( SELTRK or something like that, the last to the right if I recall correctly)

Still, I think that the main issue with MCU protocol lies within the fader assignment category. I´d like to see many other things, but, to me the controller is mainly faders, buttons and pots for channels, I could do without the rest, or do it via other devices. Preferences I´d like to be able to switch when using a controller:

-Show v-racks
-Link to shown tracks (onscreen)
-Reflect closed/open folders
-Link to selected channels
-Every possible way to change the reflected channels globally anybody can come up with.

Add to that a custom layer or channel locking, but channel navigation as a main focus.

Regards
http://www.cueaudio.org
Macpro 3.1 Octocore-16Gb RAM-OSX10.8 - DP 7.24
Macbook pro Core2Duo-4Gb RAM-OSX10.6 - DP 7.24
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

I'm mostly happy with my mcu +3 expanders but there are a few things that just don't work well.

1) Jog wheel - either I've never figured it out or it does mostly nothing unless just the right window is in focus. Annoying.

2) Master fader - it would be nice if the master fader was always the master fader and not just the 33rd one from the right.

3) Needs a button for the Input monitoring switch on the mixer channel.

TBH, I really hate software and would be happy if everything acted more like physical gear although a giant touch surface is kind of intriguing if it were adequately responsive.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

zaratero wrote:
Killahurts wrote:
bayswater wrote:I'd like to see changes to DP itself in how it responds to MC/HUI emulation controllers. Currently, changing fader banks on the controller changes track selection in the DP Mixer window so only the tracks active in the controller are displayed in the window. I'd like to be able to set the Mixer window track selection, and have it stay as set.
This! ^^^^^^^

And, in the TO, selecting a track with the mouse should cause the Bank/channel on the controller to jump to that selection. Also, there should be an option for fader-touch = selection.. I do believe Logic supports this, so I know it can be done.
I don´t know if I´m understanding you correctly, but there´s a preference in the MCU itself to link the selected tracks to the mackie or not ( SELTRK or something like that, the last to the right if I recall correctly)
Yes there is, good catch! I was responding more to Bays' first sentence, in general ..but I still think that selecting the track on the computer should make the controller scroll to that fader. It can sort of do that on my console with the Master Fader Focus engaged, but after a couple selections, it gets lost. That might work better on a real Mackie Control, I don't know. It could also be a limitation of the protocol or controllers themselves, and no fault of DP.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I would like to see Imogen Heap's glove controller set up for DP: interesting article and video on Create Digital Music about her Kick Starter project.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

BKK-OZ wrote:I would like to see Imogen Heap's glove controller set up for DP: interesting article and video on Create Digital Music about her Kick Starter project.
I love that, thanks for posting!

Looks intriguing.. I know it's supposed to be for more freeform composing, but I wonder what it would be like for folks who compose with notation? I mean, I can see where that world might benefit from such a technology..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku