DP 8.06 "Building overview" each time project opens

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
tonomud
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 8.06 "Building overview" each time project opens

Post by tonomud »

I've seen this issue discussed on the forum before...for DP 6 and 7, but my searches didn't turn up anything yet for DP 8. I've not seen this issue before now, so thought I'd post.

I've got a couple of new projects that are caught in the cycle of "Building overview" for my audio files each time the project is opened, regardless of whether or not the project was saved before being closed the previous time.

I tried doing a complete "Save a copy as..." including all audio and saving to a different folder, but the "building overview" process still happens each time. The strange thing about this is that the copied version of the project folder does NOT contain an "Analysis Files" folder and will instead update the analysis files from the original project folder each time the project opens.

Not sure if any of this is relevant, but it may be helpful to know several bits of info. about my setup and these files. There are 2 Macs involved here, both running OS 10.9.2 and DP 8.06. The project files were originally created in the field on the laptop, and were copied over to my desktop (a mini) for mixing. Both Macs are recent (within the last 3 months) converts to 10.9, and I did clean OS installs on both machines, including re-installing all programs (DP included). I don't think I've created any other new DP projects since I did the 10.9 upgrade. Not sure if that's connected in any way, but just thought I'd mention it.

Let me know if you folks have any ideas of things I should try or more information I can provide to help troubleshoot this issue. Thanks!
iMac 2017 4.2 i7, 32 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.12.6
DP 9.52
Motu 896mk3 hybrid, True Systems Precision 8, Apogee Rosetta 800
mikehalloran

Re: DP 8.06 "Building overview" each time project opens

Post by mikehalloran »

What is happening in Console?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
tonomud

Post by tonomud »

The only thing I'm seeing DP/MOTU related in console is the following:

Apr 14 10:45:53 "mycomputername" Digital Performer[47283]: Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MOTU Control Surface/CueMixMackieSurfaces.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CueMixMackieSurfaces: dlopen(/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MOTU Control Surface/CueMixMackieSurfaces.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CueMixMackieSurfaces, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MOTU Control Surface/CueMixMackieSurfaces.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CueMixMackieSurfaces: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
iMac 2017 4.2 i7, 32 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.12.6
DP 9.52
Motu 896mk3 hybrid, True Systems Precision 8, Apogee Rosetta 800
glenncg
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by glenncg »

I believe I'm using the latest versions of all pertinent software.

I began earlier tonight to try and understand why DP is giving me this nasty console information upon start up and then refusing to quit properly.

10/14/14 8:26:43.223 PM Digital Performer[15410]: Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MOTU Control Surface/CueMixMackieSurfaces.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CueMixMackieSurfaces: dlopen(/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MOTU Control Surface/CueMixMackieSurfaces.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CueMixMackieSurfaces, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MOTU Control Surface/CueMixMackieSurfaces.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CueMixMackieSurfaces: no matching architecture in universal wrapper

A little googling brought me here and I may see a pattern. None of the folks reporting this issue seem to be running a thunderbolt audio interface. I've using an mk828ii (firewire) with an almost new iMac. I see others are using an 8pre, which I believe uses USB 2, with their late model iMacs.

Is anyone that's using a newer iMac with a Thunderbolt audio interface getting this console message too?

I don't know but I'd be glad if I could get DP to just quit and not 'force quit.' Small thing thing that it is, it's a bit out of my comfort zone.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I had this exact issue when I updated to OS 10.9.1 from 10.9 and DP 8.06 from 8.05. Same Console messages, too. Something about CueMixMackieSurfaces.bundle makes it load incorrectly. The only difference is that, for me, DP would crash a couple of times before it would load and, when it did load correctly, CueMixMackieSurfaces.bundle didn't show up in Console–it was also greyed out in the plugins (that I never used but...).

Here's how I solved it: In System Preferences/Security & Privacy check the button that says Allow apps downloaded from: Anywhere

Reinstall DP 8.06 or 8.07. Repair Permissions in Disk Utility. Reboot. Repeat if necessary. I had to do it three times but I had other 10.9.1 problems to fix also–I'm not sure that I had changed security first.

DP 8 does not have an uninstaller. It will install over itself if you allow it. Anyway, that fixed me up. I had no problems with the OS 10.9.2-5 nor DP 8.07 updaters.

If you prefer one of the other Security settings, now you can go back and reset them.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
glenncg

Post by glenncg »

Thanks for trying to help, Mike. I wish it had worked. I did everything you suggested. I bought a Firewire to Thunderbolt adaptor, thinking that perhaps my brainstorm last night might be right after all.

Nothing helps. Yet.

I really suspect it's one of my plugins. If I don't use the plug-in I still get the nasty console message about CueMixMackieSurface lacking a suitable image and "matching architecture in universal wrapper" but at least DP closes normally.

If I use the plug-in I must Force DP to quit. I'm planning to contact MOTU directly about this but that will have to wait until tomorrow. Maybe it's Apple? Maybe the plug-in developer? Nobody knows....

Stay tuned.
outofhand

Post by outofhand »

I had this problem too, but updating to DP 8.07 seems to have fixed it.
fgagne

Post by fgagne »

You can do a 'merge soundbites' on the whole thing and I think that fixed it for me.

But yeah, upgrading to 8.07 also seems to have helped me.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

outofhand wrote:I had this problem too, but updating to DP 8.07 seems to have fixed it.
Correct. That is the solution. "Merge soundbites" is your friend. Otherwise, DP has to go
through the process of rebuilding your waveform views from the dozens, or possibly hundreds,
of punch-ins and overdub takes you did.

I don't record multiple takes of vocals. I have the singer cut the song and then punch-in
the phrases that need fixing, because often the first take contains a lot of "on-the-money"
sections that can't be re-captured. At the end of the session I do a merge soundbites on the
vocal track so I can get rid of all the little snippets of audio on that track. If I don't do this, sure enough the next time I open that project I'll get the "building overview" message.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I could be mistaken, but I vaguely remember Magic Dave answering this question here before. You might want to search his posts.
BTW, is there any reason you haven't gone to 8.07?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Hmm. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. Maybe I was mistaken.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.