Dissapointed... help needed

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Woah93
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Dissapointed... help needed

Post by Woah93 »

So I purchased the MK3 ultralite and so far I can't even get my mac to recognize the damn thing. I'm running Mavericks. I did everything according to the manual and after installing the software I had it up and running and recognizing audio for about 10 minutes, though I couldn't even get sound out of it. Then all of a sudden *POOF!* the device disappeared in my computer and it doesn't recognize it anymore. I have deleted and reinstalled everything again and still nothing.

I can't access their website because apparently the URL could not be retrieved, so I'm stuck using the driver's supplied on the disc, which may be too old. So here I am... is this a driver issue or what? I was really hoping for an installation without annoying issues popping up for once but I guess that was wishful thinking :')

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to reply!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Dissapointed... help needed

Post by James Steele »

All I can think of is maybe you got a bum unit? If you can't get through on MOTU's website, try calling their tech support line the old fashioned way, using Ma Bell: 617-576-3066 I imagine a tech will be able to help you determine if yours is just bad and get you a RMA to send you a replacement.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Woah93

Post by Woah93 »

Well, i got sound through, and i did get it to recognize it by turning it on/off but 10 minutes later it just dissapeared again and sound continued playing on mac speakers. Really strange
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Almost sounds some kind of thermal sensor shutdown.
Unplug all the cables you have plugged in turn it on and let it sit there on its own and see if it shuts down.
Their site is down probably updating their SSL certs or something.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

wylie1 wrote:Almost sounds some kind of thermal sensor shutdown.
Or an inconsistent supply of power.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yep... maybe even something as simple as a bad cable between the unit and your computer?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
rogueski
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by rogueski »

I have an ultralite and had to trim a little plastic off of a FireWire cable so that it would stay all the way into the ultralite. I cut about about an eighth of an inch of the plastic away so the cord would stay in a bit more solidly. I think I read about this here a few years ago. It might have been the 24 I/o, 1224 or 2408, I have had a number of boxes over the years but I remember having to trim some plastic off a cable a while ago so that the cable went in a little farther and made better contact. Are you using the cable motu sent with the ultralite? I think the one I had to cut was an aftermarket one.
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I've never had to do that on 2408 or the 828 both are useing stock cables.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

wylie1 wrote:I've never had to do that on 2408 or the 828 both are useing stock cables.
The 2408 doesn't use a FW cable.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
doodles

Post by doodles »

James Steele wrote:All I can think of is maybe you got a bum unit? If you can't get through on MOTU's website, try calling their tech support line the old fashioned way, using Ma Bell: 617-576-3066 I imagine a tech will be able to help you determine if yours is just bad and get you a RMA to send you a replacement.
James you make me laugh! "Ma Bell".

In scotland, that means something else :-)
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:
wylie1 wrote:I've never had to do that on 2408 or the 828 both are useing stock cables.
The 2408 doesn't use a FW cable.
I think what he's describing is that you can use Firewire cables for Audiowire cables... they're the same thing... only generic FW cables did not always seat entirely into the socket in the PCIe-424 card, so you had to trim some of the plastic off the end that goes into the 424 card to expose more metal so it would seat deeper into the 424 card.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Is this unit connected via USB? Maybe you need to use a hub? Check out this topic:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=54092