Quick Track Changes When Editing MIDI

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Quick Track Changes When Editing MIDI

Post by bayswater »

In a project with a lot of MIDI tracks, I'm wondering how to get quick access to screens needed to make quick changes to tracks. Track selectors work for the actual MIDI editor, but changing play status, and output destinations requires switching back and forth to other editors.

For now, I've popped out a tall narrow version of the TO and put it at the right side of the screen so I can see track status at a glance and make quick changes, and still keep a large MIDI edit screen. The downside is that I can't use the TO for anything else without disturbing the setup. (My never ending feature request for the ability to open multiple instances of edit windows and mixers would solve that problem. Being able to put edit windows in the sidebar would help too).

Does anyone have good working solutions that don't involve window switching?

2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Re: Quick Track Changes When Editing MIDI

Post by stubbsonic »

This is a really great point. I think for work-flow it would be great to be able to have a track list that includes play enable buttons. And also to be able to store quick "play/mute states" for that kind of work.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

stubbsonic wrote:This is a really great point. I think for work-flow it would be great to be able to have a track list that includes play enable buttons. And also to be able to store quick "play/mute states" for that kind of work.
+1000

Saving even a few Solo states would be an elegant way to cope with some of these situations, especially when one has lots of tracks.
How many times have we carefully Soloed the tracks we want, only to accidentally mess up the setting by Option-Clicking or forgetting one is in Solo mode, etc?

Solo states which can be saved... YES!! 8)

I don't have a good suggestion, Bayswater. They all involve switching windows or spaces, like you don't want. It can be done very fast, but nothing that beats simply glancing at something :?

Maybe it's time to get a third monitor? I would if I had the space...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:Maybe it's time to get a third monitor? I would if I had the space...
That's probably the thing to do. I used to have two, and went to one 27" at 2560x1440. It's not really enough.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8