Turning off the "auto" tempo fit

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
phage
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Turning off the "auto" tempo fit

Post by phage »

Hi, all.

I'm having trouble searching the forum and internet for the answer to this question because I'm just not sure how to phrase it correctly. (So I'm sorry if this is a double-post)

When editing MIDI or WAV files, my click-and-drag is, by default, automatically moving everything into the given tempo... is there a way to shut that off so that I may freely drag sounds to where I please? (Manually making a ritardando by dragging files away from each other, for example.)

Thanks!
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Turning off the "auto" tempo fit

Post by FMiguelez »

If I understand you correctly, you could turn that off somewhere in the Preferences. I'm not infront of DP now, so I don't remember where exactly (for the audio parts).

As for MIDI, if you already have a tempo map and you're moving things around and you want the music to play at the original tempo, you must use the Shift Command (with the Preserve Original Performance option checked), or move things around with Time Format settings that are anything except measures (e.g., real time). That is if you want to preserve the original performance tempo and nuance.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman