Switching from Sonar (win) to DP8 (mac)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
phage
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Switching from Sonar (win) to DP8 (mac)

Post by phage »

Hi, everybody.
I'll apologize first for the extreme noob question and in case this type of answer is already located somewhere else. (I just can't seem to find my answer anywhere...)

I've been using Cakewalk Sonar 8 for a LONG time on Windows, and I JUST recently switched to Mac and got DP 8.
In sonar, when I want to write music using my sound libraries, (i.e. EWQL), I would just click on "new synth rack" then, in the synth rack, just select which player I want to use (in this case, EWQL). Then it creates for me a new track using just those instruments.

How on earth do I do this in DP? I just want to see my EWQL instruments in the program so that I can record with them (I have a MIDI keyboard)...

Thanks in advance
Kubi

Re: Switching from Sonar (win) to DP8 (mac)

Post by Kubi »

Cmd-shift-opt-i

There's also a menu command, under create new track or something like that. It's called an instrument track.

Probably a good idea for you to check MOTU's YouTube channel and watch all vids. Great info there, and it's free.

Also consider this, if you have an extra $35:
http://www.groove3.com/str/Digital-Perf ... ained.html
Very well done and comprehensive.

Good luck! Good move, btw, DP8 is very powerful and very very stable.

:koolaid: :smash:
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
phage

Post by phage »

Thank you very much!
Exactly what I was looking for, and patiently explained.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I have to ask, why the 100% turn around? Reports are that Sonar can be buggy, but yeah, from Sonar to DP8 and from Windows to OSX. Wow? You're definitely going to have some times where you get stuck thinking about something from the Windows/Sonar Perspective that bogs you down until you get the way it works etc. :lol:

The stability of DP is a huge plus though, it hardly crashes here, only the typical plug in related crash on rare occasions.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.