'Unexpected end of file' error and weirdness in MIDI Editor

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
DaveB
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

'Unexpected end of file' error and weirdness in MIDI Editor

Post by DaveB »

Can someone tell me what these grey blocks are towards the bottom of the MIDI editor (just above the Mod wheel data) in the screenshot below:
http://imgur.com/eo2irn3

They appear randomly and if one does appear in a session, once I close the session I can't re-open it. I get the 'Unexpected end of file' error. I've also tried to load that chunk into a different session as well as importing the affected file as a MIDI file; neither of which work. If I spot them before I save and close, I can highlight and delete them just like any other CC and velocity data. Then everything will re-open as expected.
8-core MacPro 4,1, 32 gb RAM, OS X 10.9.2, MOTU 8 Pre, DP 8.06, VePro 5
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 'Unexpected end of file' error and weirdness in MIDI Edi

Post by Shooshie »

Those blocks look like MIDI Controller events, bank change events, patch change events, etc. Hard to tell exactly what they are without selecting them and reading about them. That space is reserved for MIDI Control Change events which are formatted as switches. On/Off, that is. That's the default for Controller #64 on most piano patches.

I never liked controller events there. They overlap and are hard to reach. I use DP's pref function: "Switches are Continuous Data." Then they appear in the bottom panel with the other CC data. When using "Bar Mode," switches then show as swaths of color (on) or blank (off).

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|