Rebuilding waveforms in DP8.06

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
leigh
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Rebuilding waveforms in DP8.06

Post by leigh »

I can confirm that the problem is with files > 2 GB.

Deleting the analysis folder, saving as new project including audio, and converting the 2 GB files from the original WAV to AIF don't fix the problem.

What's the best way to split the > 2 GB files?

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
steveo

Post by steveo »

It may be with >2gb, but it's with far smaller files, too.
--
Steve
OSX 10.7.x, DP 9.02
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

steveo wrote:It may be with >2gb, but it's with far smaller files, too.
So you say but most of us are not experiencing this.

Most of us post our hardware and software in our signatures. Without knowing what you have, it's impossible to be any more specific.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
steveo

Post by steveo »

Just reporting a difference in symptom in an otherwise identical problem. I do know what I'm talking about. I see them on sound bites like punches, a short section of black that elicits a "what's that", "a bug that doesn't hurt anything (except my bill)". Sometimes they don't occur until the file is closed then re-opened.

This machine is something like a 2007 2x2-core, 2408mk3, pcie-whatever, MTPAV-USB, Wheel™ Mouse, ...

hth
--
Steve
OSX 10.7.x, DP 9.02
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

steveo wrote:Just reporting a difference in symptom in an otherwise identical problem. I do know what I'm talking about. I see them on sound bites like punches, a short section of black that elicits a "what's that", "a bug that doesn't hurt anything (except my bill)". Sometimes they don't occur until the file is closed then re-opened.

This machine is something like a 2007 2x2-core, 2408mk3, pcie-whatever, MTPAV-USB, Wheel™ Mouse, ...

hth
What does tech support say? They've acknowledged the problem in >2G files.

When you are the only one with a perceived bug, it probably isn't (and sometimes it is).

Earlier in the thread, I gave an example of a conflict that can cause this problem. An open GUI window for RX 2 as a plugin can cause it - that's not a DP bug, btw. RX 3 uses resources much better and doesn't cause that problem even in DP 7.24 where it runs 32bit.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

steveo wrote:8.04 and 8.05 did it too; 7.x never did. I delete the Analysis files for the track, but you also have to close the project to get DP to notice. And explaining it to the client is never fun.
Right, I was just going to say, this must be specific to DP 8. I did some test recordings in DP 7 last summer that were roughly 36 hours long, just to make sure that file size and byte duration would not be a problem, and they worked just fine.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dinobass

Post by dinobass »

I experienced this behavior on a couple of tracks that were just over a minute long; the rest of the tracks in the project were fine.

More often, when I make an edit to a waveform in the Sequence window, all waveforms become a rectangle for about a second.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

This is a kind of random thought, but could the difficulty DP8 is having redrawing waveforms (only in the Tracks Overview Window for me - and it appears that there is a threshold of signal level of the track, only below which this becomes a problem - straight line drawn instead of waveform thumbnail) - could be related to the preference for Analyze Soundbites (Now, Only when needed, For this project only, etc.)?
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
fgagne

Post by fgagne »

I'm experiencing the same issue.

I'm relieved to have found this thread but I really wish they'd patch this.

I have a 4.30 minute long song with 8 drum tracks and this is killing my inspirado.
steveo

Post by steveo »

The fastest workaround I know is to go to the File menu and choose Compact Project. There you uncheck everything except "Delete Analysis Files". It warns you that it's not undoable so click Yes.

In a few seconds, you'll have waveforms.

It's a seriously annoying bug, and it makes editing a punch impossible. For me, it shows up mostly when I re-open a project I just worked on. Perhaps background processing (particularly the analysis part) doesn't get to complete before you last closed it, or closing a project after the analysis does complete, but without saving (since that won't ask you to save it). By the latter I'm guessing it may not remember where the analysis files were, since those are now split up in folders and I've noticed extra folders when this happens.

This is in DP 8.05 for me, and has happened in all versions 8 that I've used.
--
Steve
OSX 10.7.x, DP 9.02
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

Great tip! Thanks, steveo!
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
fgagne

Post by fgagne »

Ah man.

I'm going to refrain from swearing about proprietary software being little better than its open-source counterparts but, dammit, I want to. I really do.

So here's what happens when the 'analyze waveforms' process bombs while in the middle of taking-up inordinate amounts of time.

The thing is.....

This has already happened to me once before I knew about this bug. I spent a good 2 days trying to diagnose what the deal was until I found this thread and Steveo's suggestion.

In fact, I was just going to try said suggestion right now when this happened. And as far as I can tell, there's no fixing this. So I'm stuck with only 4 of my 8 waveforms rendering now?

Unless I want to create the project again, of course. It only took me another 2 days to get to that point.

What am I paying for again? Someone remind me.
steveo

Post by steveo »

An alternate way is to quit DP, delete the contents of the Analysis folder (inside the project folder), and restart DP. If you want, you can just delete the folders with the same names as your tracks, reducing the number of waveforms to be redrawn.
--
Steve
OSX 10.7.x, DP 9.02
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

fgagne wrote:What am I paying for again? Someone remind me.
One of the things you're paying for is tech support at MOTU. It can be quite useful.

Did you check the permissions on the directory where the waveforms are written?

BTW, I've gone back to a couple of 7.24 projects with long recordings and looked at them in 8.06. No waveform draw problems.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
fgagne

Post by fgagne »

One of the things you're paying for is tech support at MOTU. It can be quite useful.
True. In fact, I just reported it there.

You're apparently one of the lucky few who doesn't have to deal with this.

I'll be the first to admit (AND WISH FOR) that this could simply a PEBKAC error but with the existance of this thread, it just doesn't seem like it.

And, yes, I have r/w permissions to this directory.

Thanks for the response.