Rebuilding waveforms in DP8.06

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Rebuilding waveforms in DP8.06

Post by waterstrum »

I've recently been recording live broadcast/podcast sessions.
These are two hours long and I'm recording 8 tracks of audio.
Dp has been working like a champ and after two hours of recording, I press stop and wait a minute or so for the waveforms to appear.
I've done 12 of these sessions and Dp performed flawlessly.

The problem now, is that when I re-open the sessions, Dp needs to rebuild the waveforms.
Watching the background processing window, this takes about 5 minutes.
The bad news is that after processing, the waveforms do not appear.
Just a long rectangle for each track.
I can play back the tracks, but editing is impossible.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

This might be a fairly unconventional use of Dp, so I may be on untested ground here.

Thanks.
All is well
frankf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Rebuilding waveforms in DP8.06

Post by frankf »

I had this happen yesterday with 8.06, but with a few tracks imported from another project. Turns out I didn't need them, but I was scratching my head. Is there a way to force DP to redraw the waveforms?

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

frankf wrote: Is there a way to force DP to redraw the waveforms?
I believe if you delete the analysis files in the project folder it will redraw the waveforms. Only problem is I'm not sure what else gets reset if you delete all the folders, i.e. beats. It would be a pain to just go in and delete the waveform files for the soundbites. Much easier to just trash the whole analysis folder.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
frankf

Post by frankf »

Thanks, I'll test this.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Same thing has been happening to me. First time ever. DP 8.06. Have we stumbled on to a bug?

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Uh oh.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
michkhol

Post by michkhol »

I had the exact same problem after replacing the files (editing them in a third party app). After I removed the analysis files directory, the waveforms reappeared. Stepped down to 8.05 after that and other glitches.
MacPro, 32 GB RAM, Metric Halo ULN8
macOS 13.6.3, DP 11.3
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Hmmmm... I have had this in DP 7.24 on long tracks - say an hour 2-track stereo. On my i7, there is little lag but on an i5, I would go out for a cuppa while waiting for tracks to re-draw. This is the reason I have always recommended the i7 over the i5 when people ask what to buy.

In DP 7 and 8, I could duplicate this behavior if the GUI for Izotope RX 2 was open. RX 3 fixed that.

I just opened some of those tracks in DP 8.06. The longest, a 3 track file of 1 hour 16' took 8 seconds to redraw.

I know that I sound like a broken record by now but you do not have to wonder what is going on. Open Console and look to see what is happening. DP also has tools in the Preferences so that you can see the activity. Plus there are other preferences that affect the Analysis.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Evening Films

Post by Evening Films »

I'm finding a closely related issue: DP8.06 is displaying the waveforms -- no problems with just bars -- but it has to rebuild the overview every time I reopen the project. Wouldn't be a big deal, but I'm currently working on a live event session with 4 hours of 24 channels of audio; it takes several minutes of crunching each time I start up. Shouldn't that overview/waveform data be stored somewhere so it doesn't have to be rebuilt?
tonomud

Post by tonomud »

argh....I'm having this same issue right now. I posted another question: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=57404
iMac 2017 4.2 i7, 32 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.12.6
DP 9.52
Motu 896mk3 hybrid, True Systems Precision 8, Apogee Rosetta 800
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

I just experienced this issue today. I have six live tracks from three separate recorders and I need the wave forms to accurately line up the tracks. I took the advise and deleted the session analysis files and DP re-drew the wave forms. I'm completely puzzled as to what may cause this. Thanks for the tip. : )
Evening Films

Post by Evening Films »

I think I've found the issue in my case. It seems to be connected to the length of the sound file: if the file is large enough to generate an "overview_waveform_65536" analysis file, then DP recalculates the waveform on each launch. If the waveform files only go to 32768 or less, then the waveforms appear instantly on launch -- no recalculation. By trial and error, I found the threshold to be just over 93 minutes (48k/16bit) in length, so this only became a problem with the four-hour files in my recent project.

This doesn't solve the problem, but I have a TechLink in progress with MOTU.
Evening Films

Post by Evening Films »

Evening Films wrote:I think I've found the issue in my case. It seems to be connected to the length of the sound file: if the file is large enough to generate an "overview_waveform_65536" analysis file, then DP recalculates the waveform on each launch. If the waveform files only go to 32768 or less, then the waveforms appear instantly on launch -- no recalculation.
MOTU support has confirmed this behavior. Current workaround is to split large files.
steveo

Post by steveo »

Shooshie wrote:Same thing has been happening to me. First time ever. DP 8.06. Have we stumbled on to a bug?

Shoosh
8.04 and 8.05 did it too; 7.x never did. I delete the Analysis files for the track, but you also have to close the project to get DP to notice. And explaining it to the client is never fun.
--
Steve
OSX 10.7.x, DP 9.02
waterstrum

Post by waterstrum »

Just had it happen on a one minute song.
I opened it to find two of the stereo tracks as long rectangles.

Looking forward to the bug fix.

10.9.2 DP8.06
All is well