Drop out problems after transfering content of HDD

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Pakub
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Drop out problems after transfering content of HDD

Post by Pakub »

Hello,

I accidentally damaged my first MacBook with glass of water few months ago and finally bought a new one (it means "newer" - it is white one from january 2010). I transfered whole data from the old HDD to the new one - this machine might be slightly faster (cca 2.2 GHz) and has twice more RAM (4 instead of 2) from the former machine.. The version of DP is 7.22
When I work with older projects and try to mix them or adding some effects, it's OK. But when I want to record some new guitar in new project, there are some audio drop outs every few seconds..
When I set the latention in configuration of hard ware to 1024, it is slightly better but it still sometimes occur. Not saying that it is impossible to record something with timing.. :-)
The older machine worked with short latention OK for cca 2 or 3 years.

Please suggest some solution - what can I set differently?

The OSX is latest Snow Leopard, the interface is E-MU 0404 USB...

Thanks
dosuna11
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Drop out problems after transfering content of HDD

Post by dosuna11 »

Did you use a migration program? They almost always interject monkey business into DP files. If you did not do a clean install of DP. I would suggest it.
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
Pakub

Post by Pakub »

Yes, I did the procedure with "Migration assistant". So I try to reinstall DP - I thought it will be easier to migrate installed application with all the other data...
And will DP find all the plugins after reinstalation? I think there is no problem with them, because those dropouts (or glitches) occur without anything plugged in the inserts, even when the project is set to basic "CD quality" resolution..
And one more question. I have bought CD with version 7.1, but don't remember how I did the update to 7.22 (i.e. I don't have that version on disc or anywhere) - so when I start this process, do I need to install the 7.1 first and than let it do the update again? It's maybe silly questions but I'm not a technical guy - I just record music.. :-)

Thanks again for answer. Pakub
Pakub

Post by Pakub »

OK, I found an answer for the last one on Motu's site -> I will re-install and re-authorize the version of DP I have physically and than download and install the update pack..
But still: will this not make some mess in the plugin directories? I wouldn't like to reinstall everey single plugin..

Thanks
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

The MOTU installer just installs any MAS plugins and they should all be the same. Any 3rd party AU and VST plugins will remain untouched. Whatever AU/VST that migrated over will still be there.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I have an 07 MBP 2.4ghz Core2 duo I have owned for 5 years and I ditched the 5400rpm internal drive right off for an SSD. Solved a bunch of issues like yours. Still operating perfectly after 4 years of use. I bought disk warrior and boot it in transfer "T" connected to my desktop and DW the internal drive every couple of months then do permissions. Makes things render twice as fast even on an SSD. I suggest you try it on your '10.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
Pakub

Post by Pakub »

So I tried to reinstall DP and drivers for the audio interface (E-MU 0404 USB) and the problem is still there. But here are some new details to describe it closer:
- those dropouts (or glitches) appear when the signal comes in. I mean when I tried to leave just connected microphone and record the silence of the room, they are not there. But whene i start to speak or sing to the microphone, they start. It is not in the microphone - it happens with guitar too: just connected without playing, it is OK, but when I strum the strings, it appears. Even when I don`t really record - just the track is record enabled. So I think it is not slow HDD or what.
I tried to reinstall the interface. No effect - still dropping. Tried to record some similar test in Ableton Live and it have not happen so often but still the glitches appeared once in cca 10 seconds when talking to the mic. Tried the interface on other computer (PC) on some Cubase lite to see if it wasn`t broken inputs or anything other inside the box, but on PC it works fine.

So, please, any other ideas? Please.. :banghead:

Pakub
Pakub

Post by Pakub »

And for a complete information I tried to capture the glitch on the waveform. It is from the Ableton Live, because in DP it was not visible even when I zoomed it at max.

It is a constant tone made by my voice through microphone. And there in the middle, where you can expect a constant pattern of the waveform, there is that mistake in the shape - it falls down and then going straight back. And that is terribly audible..

So, any ideas?

Thanks, Pakub
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

First, uninstall and reinstall completely, update to 7.24. This may not be the culprit but you need to eliminate it. Since you have a 7.1 cd, it's done in stages.

Run the 7.22 updater. When you get to Easy Install, click to open the drop down menu and select Uninstall and do so. Next, do the same thing with your 7.1 CD.

Now run the installer from your CD. Download the 7.24 updater and install. Authorize from your CD.

I have had to do this many times. There are many things that can corrupt the links to DP and a complete uninstall and reinstall fixes it up.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Assuming that an uninstall/reinstall doesn't get the job done, it's time to check for other culprits.

First on my list is the RAM. TechTool is a great diagnostic tool - if you had AppleCare with your old Mac or got the CD when you got this one, you have a copy. MicroMat.com has the updater.

TechTool Pro is inexpensive and runs on three computers. There are other low or no cost tools but TTP is the best.

The other thing that TTP can find is problems with the hard drive that will not show up with anything else. A drive can pass the SMART test and be in horrible shape. This will only show up in the TTP SMART tests. If the drive has problems when hot, it can cause your symptoms.

I agree with Timeline that an SSD will do wonders for your performance. OWC has the 3G at a low price now. I disagree that DiskWarrior is doing anything - it's not. DW does not repair permissions - its a GUI for Apple Disk Utility when doing Repair Permissions. Corrupt directories are an early indicator that the drive is headed for failure. TTP is as good for diagnosing those and many other problems. I have DW but, the next time there's a paid update, I will pass - its time is up and there's no reason to spend money on it again.

What are you using for Time Machine? Before Mavericks, your least affecting backup is via Ethernet or wifi to a Time Capsule. TM to a drive that is connected directly will cause the system to hesitate when starting up.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Pakub

Post by Pakub »

OK, I can try to reinstall DP one more time - maybe for the firts time it wasn`t done so properly. But as I wrote earlier it does it also in other programs - for example that picture in my previous post is from Ableton Live. And the sound of that glitch is identical as in DP.

On the other hand I tried to do a test recording in DP with the build in sound card and on board mic (I don`t have any other USB device to test) and the glitches were NOT present.

Maybe it could be that RAM issue. I don`t think it is somehow damaged HDD, because those dropouts are present even when DP is only waiting for action - I mean when it is not actually recording, i.e. not writing data on disc.
Pakub

Post by Pakub »

To mikehalloran:

I did not make the second reinstallation, because that thing with Easy Install seems complicated to me (if you mean that Python related thing which I found on google). If something is not installable via package, I am lost. But I don`t think it is in the DP application/installation, because as I wrote, I encounter identical problem also in Ableton Live.

I did some of those RAM/HDD tests. Both passed fine. If it is OK that the TechTool says, it is testing for example 2.21 GB of 4 GB - it probably chooses some random part of memory. The HDD Smart Check: everything was "in green", only the "Spin up retry count" was not completely fine, but I somehow doubt that this is the culprit.

In the Morning I tried to "downgrade" the driver for E-MU interface to that one that was on older comp and worked fine. But still no positive results...

I don`t use the Time Machine function or other backup. And I don`t think I need SSD (not saying I don`t have money on it now). I only do home-recording with this 2 channel interface, so I don`t capture more than 2 tracks at once. I think ordinary, healthy HDD could manage this.
Pakub

Post by Pakub »

So, after short episode, when I was thinking it is in somo kind of ground loops, I tried to reinstall Snow Leopard (from 10.6.8 to 10.6.1). Now it seems that everything will work as it used to.

I only hope, the problem is solved via "refreshing" directories after reinstallation and not via "downgrading" to lower version of OSX. Because for other reasons I would like to have the 10.6.8 version.

And because of requirments of some plugins I`m even considering Mavericks. I know that this is a little off topic in this thread I started, but can anybody leave a comment on funcionality of DP 7.24 in Mavericks?

Thanks.