MIDI notes hanging/playing by themselves

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Justin_K
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI notes hanging/playing by themselves

Post by Justin_K »

I'm using Heaviocity Aeon. It's loaded into Kontakt which in turn is loaded in VePro which resides on the same machine as DP 8.05.

I'm at the very start of a project
In the second bar, I'm playing a one note loop held for four bars. No sustain pedal, just note down then note up.

I go back to the top of the sequence/chunk.
I hit play, and the synth starts… in bar one.
There is nothing at all in bar one. So controls, no signals, nothing.
I hit stop and the synth stops.

I go way across to the right… empty sequence and hit play. Bang the synth plays again.

So, to shut the thing up I hit the panic button in Kontakt.
All good.

I play bar one. Silence. Great! I try again, top of the sequence. All good in bar one.

I then go to my next instrument. (violin for conversation's sake). I hit record and the synth starts again.

So far it seems to be only this instrument, but I think I've had similar experiences in the past, but they seem to fix themselves.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Mac Pro OSX 10.10.5
2 x 3.33 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon
42 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
DP 9.13
stubbsonic

Re: MIDI notes hanging/playing by themselves

Post by stubbsonic »

Could it be related to your MIDI controller, bad MIDI cord, outdated MIDI driver? That is sometimes at the root of stuck & random notes (noise on the MIDI cable).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I've had this happen from time to time with various synths. Really bizarre stuff with GeForce M-Tron, where a string pad came in long before there were any MIDI messages, different chord from anything written... but it happened to be the right one for the particular measure, so I added it in!

I've also seen B4-ii exhibit things sorta like this, but more held notes (blaming the 32bit bridge, though).

One thing to check out is which version of Kontakt you're using and whether the patch in question was created with that version in mind. I recently brought up an instance of OrangeTree Strawberry Electric V2 in Kontakt 5, and it brought down the system at the slightest touch. Switched to K4 and it worked without a hitch.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

So this is happening to me with Sonic Synth 2 and Stylus RMX. Both are up to date as is my DP 7.24 and drivers. Very troubling when you restart a sequence and a sound from later is starting at beat 1. All notes off doesn't work. Only thing that works is going into the soft synth and finding the offending track and changing its sound, then changing it back to preferred sound. Doesn't work for long though. It's totally unacceptable and creativity killing. Any insights would be so appreciated.
Mac mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6 Core Intel Core i7 w/64 GB ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, DP 10.13, UAD Apollo Quad, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Keys, EZ Bass, EZ Mix 2, Stylus RMX 1.7f, Avid Eleven Rack.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Justin_K wrote:I'm using Heaviocity Aeon. It's loaded into Kontakt which in turn is loaded in VePro which resides on the same machine as DP 8.05.

I'm at the very start of a project
In the second bar, I'm playing a one note loop held for four bars. No sustain pedal, just note down then note up.

I go back to the top of the sequence/chunk.
I hit play, and the synth starts… in bar one.
There is nothing at all in bar one. So controls, no signals, nothing.
I hit stop and the synth stops.

I go way across to the right… empty sequence and hit play. Bang the synth plays again.
Hey Justin. Bizarrely I've had EXACTLY just this happen over the last 3 days. (I'm on DP7.24). It's happening with Aeon in Kontakt 4 in VEPro on a slave (latest version), and also with Arturia analog and omnisphere patches in DP itself. The only way I've managed to get round it is to change patches in Arturia and then go back to the original patch. That worked fine. I never managed to get Omnisphere fixed. VE Pro I deleted some instances on one of the slaves to see if it was a memory issue. Doesn't appear to be.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

Just spoke with MOTU tech support. I'm having success at this point and getting no sound hangs or sounds triggered before their actual MIDI is present. Yay for now! :dance: :headbang:

Here's what I discussed with tech. Go to Audio Plug ins preference and choose run virtual instruments in real time for the current project. I was in pre-gen mode. He told me that having the soft synth GUI open puts the synth in Real Time mode as well, until you close it.
I asked what if some synths react better in pre gen than in Real Time (cuz theres no individual preference per soft synth). Apparently you can use pre-gen mode as a pref and just leave problematic VI's open (gui is visible)- they are then in Real Tim mode.
Hope this helps some of you (and I hope this continues to work for me!!!) Happy synth-ing.
Mac mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6 Core Intel Core i7 w/64 GB ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, DP 10.13, UAD Apollo Quad, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Keys, EZ Bass, EZ Mix 2, Stylus RMX 1.7f, Avid Eleven Rack.
Justin_K

Post by Justin_K »

Thanks for all your replies.

Kellog, yeah I've always been curious about certain things that fix themselves when a synth GUI is visible. It is often annoying to have to go through all your instruments and open them up- clogging your screen- before working.

Yet another hidden world within DP. I guess it's all in the manual.

I'll look into your suggestions.

Thanks.
Mac Pro OSX 10.10.5
2 x 3.33 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon
42 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
DP 9.13