DP's Automation: Choosing plug-in parameters for snapshots

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP's Automation: Choosing plug-in parameters for snapshots

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

Is there a way to selectively pick the plug-in parameters that I want to include in snapshots?

95% of the time I don't need or I don't want' to see in the track automation lanes certain parameters, such as Q10's Link, Input Level, etc. Same with SuperTap... It has like a million parameters, but I only want to include a few of them in the snapshots.
Seeing parameters that I won't use in the automation lanes in the SE makes the lists impossibly long, and difficult to find what you do want...

I always thought that we could tell DP before hand this on a track level and on a plug-in basis, but I can't figure it out. It seems to be an all or nothing kind of thing.

If go to the Automation Setup window, it won't even let me see which plug-in parameters are available until I actually take an all-parameter snapshot of a plug first. THEN it will let me choose a plug-in and its parameters.
Pressing the snapshot button in the Effects Window (the plug-in itself) gives me 2 plug-related options:
– Active Data Types in Effects Window
– All Data Types in Effects Window

The Active Data Types in Effects Window option remains unavailable (in gray) until I have taken a snapshot. But even then, when it is available, it won't do what it's supposed to do:
–If I go to the Automation Setup window, choose the desired track, and chose to allow automation for ONLY the Frequency parameter of an EQ, it will take a snapshot of everything instead of only the Frequency.

Why is this? Shouldn't it include in the snapshots ONLY what is chosen in the Automation Setup window, especially when using the Active Data Types in Effects Window option in the snapshot dialog box?
IOW, it's behaving as if I chose All Data Types in Effects Window instead of really the Active Data Types in Effects Window.

Isn't an "active" data type whatever is allowed in the Automation Setup window on a track by track basis? Otherwise, what does "active" mean?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
csavetman

Re: DP's Automation: Choosing plug-in parameters for snapsho

Post by csavetman »

FMiguelez wrote:Hello.

Is there a way to selectively pick the plug-in parameters that I want to include in snapshots?

95% of the time I don't need or I don't want' to see in the track automation lanes certain parameters, such as Q10's Link, Input Level, etc. Same with SuperTap... It has like a million parameters, but I only want to include a few of them in the snapshots.
Seeing parameters that I won't use in the automation lanes in the SE makes the lists impossibly long, and difficult to find what you do want...

I always thought that we could tell DP before hand this on a track level and on a plug-in basis, but I can't figure it out. It seems to be an all or nothing kind of thing.

If go to the Automation Setup window, it won't even let me see which plug-in parameters are available until I actually take an all-parameter snapshot of a plug first. THEN it will let me choose a plug-in and its parameters.
Pressing the snapshot button in the Effects Window (the plug-in itself) gives me 2 plug-related options:
– Active Data Types in Effects Window
– All Data Types in Effects Window

The Active Data Types in Effects Window option remains unavailable (in gray) until I have taken a snapshot. But even then, when it is available, it won't do what it's supposed to do:
–If I go to the Automation Setup window, choose the desired track, and chose to allow automation for ONLY the Frequency parameter of an EQ, it will take a snapshot of everything instead of only the Frequency.

Why is this? Shouldn't it include in the snapshots ONLY what is chosen in the Automation Setup window, especially when using the Active Data Types in Effects Window option in the snapshot dialog box?
IOW, it's behaving as if I chose All Data Types in Effects Window instead of really the Active Data Types in Effects Window.

Isn't an "active" data type whatever is allowed in the Automation Setup window on a track by track basis? Otherwise, what does "active" mean?
I had the exact same question a few weeks ago on this board! Seems as if the global data types in the automation setup window determine what gets included in a snapshot (when you select the all enabled data type option for your snapshot). The track data types only seem to determine what is enabled or disabled for automation playback. So say, even if you only have volume checked under a specific track's automation setup, if everything is checked in the global setup, that's what will be included in the snapshot.

One way would be to take the snapshot of the plugin, and in the edit list window, just delete what you don't need. All the plugin's parameters should be listed together.

You could also manually add only the parameter you want in the edit list window with the add event drop down menu- just navigate to the plugin in particular- and choose from the list of parameters given.

hope that helps!
Carlos
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I find this one of the more baffling features.

The manual says "Snapshots can include any mix automation parameters, including volume, pan, plug-in parameters, mutes, solos, etc." and that you can activate from the button on the mixer or SE, or from the Region Menu.

Magic Dave's recent book says the button on the mixer doesn't do effects.

The manual at p 802 appears to say you can include effects, but you have to choose from options like open effects windows, or effect parameters already activated in the SE.

It doesn't appear that you can just initialize effect parameters with the snapshots.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

In pro tools, there is a little known, wonderful feature wherein, if you command control click on any parameter of a plug in, (such as the boost of a freq in an eq window), it brings that specific parameter up in the track edit window. So, you just bring up a compressor plug, command control click the ratio, and you're immediately sent to the track edit window where you see ONLY that parameter's automation. I miss that sorely in DP.
I have asked MOTU for this for yrs. without results or response.

I think if DP did this, you guys wouldn't care about all the other automation data being taken because you'd be able to sift through it quickly.

There is a little trick I do sometime where I will have DP show ALL data in the SE window. I will go to the plug in, record some automation and make a crazy move that makes a lot of data.
I will go back to the SE window and will usually be able to SEE that data. I will click on that data and it will bring it up for editing. I have then tell SE to show only currently edited data. I then UN do the automation move but now find myself in the automation I wanted.
It's a pain, but this method works whe dealing with plugs that have tons of parameters.

The other problem here is that DP has problems with several 3rd party plug in manufacturers wherein it bogs down if you snap shot all the data, for example, iZotope Ozone.

I have tried to help with this problem for yrs behind the scenes with various companies and even motu and it still remains. SO for certain plugs ins, I never snap shot.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I was just able to return to this topic. Thanks for your post, TDH.
toodamnhip wrote:In pro tools, there is a little known, wonderful feature wherein, if you command control click on any parameter of a plug in, (such as the boost of a freq in an eq window), it brings that specific parameter up in the track edit window. So, you just bring up a compressor plug, command control click the ratio, and you're immediately sent to the track edit window where you see ONLY that parameter's automation. I miss that sorely in DP.
I have asked MOTU for this for yrs. without results or response.
That is exactly what I want!
It sounds so much easier to deal with long plug-in automation lists.
toodamnhip wrote:I think if DP did this, you guys wouldn't care about all the other automation data being taken because you'd be able to sift through it quickly.
Exactly. The way it is now, it becomes ridiculous to sift through endless parameter lists. Take a snapshot of a couple of plug-ins and you suddenly get an unmanageable list.
toodamnhip wrote:There is a little trick I do sometime where I will have DP show ALL data in the SE window. I will go to the plug in, record some automation and make a crazy move that makes a lot of data.
I will go back to the SE window and will usually be able to SEE that data. I will click on that data and it will bring it up for editing. I have then tell SE to show only currently edited data. I then UN do the automation move but now find myself in the automation I wanted.
It's a pain, but this method works whe dealing with plugs that have tons of parameters.
I'll try doing that, but the workaround does sound like it would get old very quickly. A band aid, really, not a real solution.
toodamnhip wrote:The other problem here is that DP has problems with several 3rd party plug in manufacturers wherein it bogs down if you snap shot all the data, for example, iZotope Ozone.

I have tried to help with this problem for yrs behind the scenes with various companies and even motu and it still remains. SO for certain plugs ins, I never snap shot.
Which is a shame, really, because taking snapshots like this could be so quick and convenient.
So far is either, sifting through endless lists, or deleting unused parameters (a waste of time as well).

This all could be easily solved if DP could at first know or "learn" what parameters each plug has (so you don't have to take a snapshot first), and include in the snapshots ONLY the authorized parameters one sets in the Automation Setup box.
THOSE would be the Active Parameters that one allows to be part of snapshots, and one would always have the choice of including everything or just what is set in the Automation Setup on a track-by-track basis.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman