COLOR: This is how I wish we could make DP's mixer look...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: COLOR: This is how I wish we could make DP's mixer look.

Post by FMiguelez »

Shooshie wrote: I'm a little shocked that a time-range selection in the Tracks Overview window does not get all the takes. It leaves what appears to be an empty track when you move the time-range contents to another track. In reality, it may be full of invisible non-active takes. It should be optional to move all takes together no matter which window you're in, but the Tracks Overview? Of all windows, this should be possible there.

If there is some reason why MOTU made it that way, then there should also be a preference "Takes stay together."
{...}
I'm really, really appalled at this oversight.
Me too, Shoosh.

Actually, it bothers me that it doesn't seem to be an oversight, but an active decision because we did have that option in DP7 something and they simply took it away in DP8... Poof!

MOTU, PLEASE give us back the ability to include or exclude track takes when moving things around! Por favor. Bitte.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:While we're at it, I think the MIDI Graphic Edit Window should have a provision for changing the track of a selection — the equivalent of copy/pasting the selection into the other track without having to go through several steps to make it happen. Just something like CONTROL-CLICK the little "pencil" marker beside the destination track name, and it simply changes track. CONTROL-OPTION-CLICK would duplicate it to that track, leaving you with the original selection in its original track, plus a copy in the destination track.
I don't understand what you're getting at here. If you select some events in a track in the MIDI editor, then Alt-Click the destination track in the track selector, you can then use Alt-M or Alt-V (depending on whether you want to copy or merge) to get a copy of those events in the new track and leave them in the original track.

You probably mean something else.
Last edited by bayswater on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

The quotes in the previous post are mixed up. I think that was meant for Shooshie :)

What you say definitely works, Bayswater, but it has the enormous disadvantage that whatever tracks were visible in the GE get lost, and it can be annoying to get them all after doing that each time.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:The quotes in the previous post are mixed up. I think that was meant for Shooshie :)

What you say definitely works, Bayswater, but it has the enormous disadvantage that whatever tracks were visible in the GE get lost, and it can be annoying to get them all after doing that each time.
Yes, it was meant for Shooshie. I fixed it.

I'm still unclear on where the problem lies. What's an example?
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

If you know something I don't, please tell me in detail. Here's what I want the MIDI GE to do, and I've tried everything I can think of to see if this function is there, but it doesn't seem to be:

With a number of hand-picked tracks showing in the editor, I want to select some notes and
  • 1) be able to make their track the active one, using some command not currently in use.
    2) add to the selection all the controllers pertinent to those notes selected. I have work-arounds for this, detailed in the DP Tips Sheet, page 2, "Working with Selections in MIDI."
    3) with one click, do either of two things: move those events (the intersection of the selected range and the active track) to another track, or copy the same.
I want to be able to do that without changing the visible tracks in the MIDI GE, and I want to be able to act on the selected notes and events only, not all visible tracks. Currently, you have to use tricks to get all that selected without picking up events from other visible tracks.

I visualize this happening by using some key command, let's say "CONTROL," while clicking the destination track in the MIDI GE. That is, we'd be moving the pencil (designating the active track) from the original location of those events to the new location. Only the selected events would be moved/copied, and you wouldn't mess up your set of visible tracks in doing this. Nor would you have to hunt for the track of the selection.

To clarify: I'd select a note. With one command, DP would also select the controllers that occur within that note's range, even if they are not visible in the window, such as Breath Control. With a CONTROL-CLICK, I'd move the note and its Breath Control to another track. To copy, it would be CONTROL-OPTION-CLICK. The notes and events in all the other tracks would remain unaffected.

That simple.

That would save SO MUCH TIME!

The fastest way that I know to do this right now is to use the methods I explained in the Tips Sheet to take a series of selected notes and add all the controllers to that selection, then switch to the Tracks Overview Window and drag the selection to the destination track. That accomplishes the same thing I'm trying to do in the MIDI GE alone.

When I try doing it in the MIDI GE, sometimes I'm successful with copy/merge, but if things don't go exactly right, it will put them at the beginning of the track or wherever the cursor is. It's a tedious operation involving multiple steps where one should do it. I just want a very easy, very fast way of doing it. When I developed the workarounds 10 years ago, I figured they'd add the functionality in the near future. That never happened, despite my asking them for it.

If you know of a way to do this now, without changing the visible tracks, and without picking up other visible tracks in a range selection, please do tell. It seems so obvious that they'd include this functionality, yet I have been unable to find it. This is one time that finding out that I'm an idiot would be a welcome discovery, as I REALLY want to be able to do that, and it just seems like there would be a method for it. Maybe this is a case where I've been doing workarounds so long that I missed it when they added the real functionality for what I want to accomplish. Do tell, please! (but don't feel bad if there's not a way)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:If you know something I don't, please tell me in detail.
No, I agree, you can't do it. I wasn't suggesting you could, I was just unclear on what you were trying to do. I'm in the habit of using the I beam for the first selection. That picks up the controller values for the selected range, even if they have no edit points in that range. AFAIK, because you now have a range selection in effect, the paste will occur where you expect it, making it unnecessary to check the values in the Selection info window prior to the paste.

While we're at it, we have a command to paste one track to multiple tracks, but I don't see one to paste many to one (or merge many to one),
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:
Shooshie wrote:If you know something I don't, please tell me in detail.
While we're at it, we have a command to paste one track to multiple tracks, but I don't see one to paste many to one (or merge many to one),
Was going to mention that, but thought I'd leave it out rather than confuse people in the same post with the other issue. In fact, they become the same issue in certain cases.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|