COLOR: This is how I wish we could make DP's mixer look...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: COLOR: This is how I wish we could make DP's mixer look.

Post by philbrown »

BKK-OZ wrote:I like the last suggestion a lot. Having that sort of ghosted color right thru the track would make it much easier to work with - but if they do that, I would hope that they would give you some control over saturation. If you could either dial up/down how much color was showing, or have a couple of options (light/medium/heavy) to chose from, it would make it more practical for people working in different lighting conditions, etc.

Overall, +1.
Agree 100%. Really like the last one, FM. Great idea.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The last image isn't loading here.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

My smallest ever wish list:

1) Colored mixing channels á la ProTools

2) Info/notation fields under each mixing board channel á la ProTools and Logic Pro.
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

I'd think these are pretty simple things to implement?
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

I have to use both DP and PT in my work, and the colors in the Edit and Mix windows of PT can be very handy on large sessions. I agree.

Note also that the colors follow groups: the drum group will be one, vocal group another, etc.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

TinenTech wrote: Note also that the colors follow groups: the drum group will be one, vocal group another, etc.
That’s how I use it, but you can set it up for different things.
csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

+1
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Yes please. Love that.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

+1
All is well
lito

Post by lito »

Radiogal wrote:My smallest ever wish list:

1) Colored mixing channels á la ProTools

2) Info/notation fields under each mixing board channel á la ProTools and Logic Pro.
and in the Sequence Editor an automatically numeration when I change the place between the Takes :mumble:
Only a Tele is good enough !!!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

+1 to the color extending thru mixer track strips
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Yep, +1 more.

The whole mixer needs a revamp, but the color thing would help a lot in my setup!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
wonder

Post by wonder »

this might not be on anyone else's wish list...

but many times I'm arranging around a song AFTER multiple takes on multiple tracks ... i.e. adding 4 bars here, removing 2 bars there...

allowing ALL the takes to be moved along with the active take would be KILLER! that way, i don't have to manually move 7 vocal takes and 4 drum takes.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

wonder wrote:this might not be on anyone else's wish list...

but many times I'm arranging around a song AFTER multiple takes on multiple tracks ... i.e. adding 4 bars here, removing 2 bars there...

allowing ALL the takes to be moved along with the active take would be KILLER! that way, i don't have to manually move 7 vocal takes and 4 drum takes.
I agree.

In this sense, DP7 (or was it DP6?) was better. We could make time range selections to include or exclude what was inside folders, depending on a preference, IIRC.

Having an option to include the MIDI and audio takes in time range selections would be a KILLER feature!
Who needs exploding every track when this could be automatically done with a simple preference? I always forget to explode the takes when moving things around, and by the time I remember it's already too late... :(
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

FMiguelez wrote:I agree.

In this sense, DP7 (or was it DP6?) was better. We could make time range selections to include or exclude what was inside folders, depending on a preference, IIRC.

Having an option to include the MIDI and audio takes in time range selections would be a KILLER feature!
Who needs exploding every track when this could be automatically done with a simple preference? I always forget to explode the takes when moving things around, and by the time I remember it's already too late...
I'm a little shocked that a time-range selection in the Tracks Overview window does not get all the takes. It leaves what appears to be an empty track when you move the time-range contents to another track. In reality, it may be full of invisible non-active takes. It should be optional to move all takes together no matter which window you're in, but the Tracks Overview? Of all windows, this should be possible there.

If there is some reason why MOTU made it that way, then there should also be a preference "Takes stay together."

I'm really, really appalled at this oversight. While we're at it, I think the MIDI Graphic Edit Window should have a provision for changing the track of a selection — the equivalent of copy/pasting the selection into the other track without having to go through several steps to make it happen. Just something like CONTROL-CLICK the little "pencil" marker beside the destination track name, and it simply changes track. CONTROL-OPTION-CLICK would duplicate it to that track, leaving you with the original selection in its original track, plus a copy in the destination track.

That just makes sense. And talk about track mutes? The workaround of putting selected notes into a scratch track would probably become the EASY, preferable way if it were that simple to change the track of a selection.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|