COLOR: This is how I wish we could make DP's mixer look...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

COLOR: This is how I wish we could make DP's mixer look...

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

When working with lots of tall channels in the mixer, it is easy to open a plug-in of the wrong channel or move the wrong channel's insert. By "tall" channels I mean ones with lots of Inserts and Sends. If you also show the EQ and compressor, they are even taller.

This option I suggest would make things so much easier.
One would NOT have to go all the way down a channel's strip to make sure one is tweaking the correct one anymore, especially when working with plug-ins and sends (which are at the top of the mixer).

This is how it looks now:

This is what I wish it looked like... Notice the extra bar of colored track names at the top of the mixer, next to the inserts.

And even having an option to make it look more obvious with color, like this:

Notice how much easier it is to make sure you are tweaking the desired channel's plugs or sends. This is especially true for people who work with 2 or more big monitors, or if you like working with the mixer in Narrow Mode.

MOTU, please: Incorporate this little suggestion in DP's next revision. It can be an option. Something one can choose to show or hide (like the rest of the mixer's sections, like showing Faders, Inserts, etc). :unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Re: COLOR: This is how I wish we could make DP's mixer look.

Post by mikehalloran »

So who are you with the Wonderful World of Color, Walt Disney? :rofl:

Seriously, I really, really like this suggestion.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The second option might be a bit tricky to do under some themes, and still keep everything easy to see, but both ideas are great (and well presented).
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:So who are you with the Wonderful World of Color, Walt Disney? :rofl:
Kodachro - ohh - oohmmm....
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

FMiguelez wrote:
And even having an option to make it look more obvious with color, like this:

Would LOVE to have this. :love: :love: :love:
DP10.13
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I like the last suggestion a lot. Having that sort of ghosted color right thru the track would make it much easier to work with - but if they do that, I would hope that they would give you some control over saturation. If you could either dial up/down how much color was showing, or have a couple of options (light/medium/heavy) to chose from, it would make it more practical for people working in different lighting conditions, etc.

Overall, +1.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

oopsey, double double post post
Last edited by BKK-OZ on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Works for me.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

BKK-OZ wrote:I like the last suggestion a lot. Having that sort of ghosted color right thru the track would make it much easier to work with - but if they do that, I would hope that they would give you some control over saturation. If you could either dial up/down how much color was showing, or have a couple of options (light/medium/heavy) to chose from, it would make it more practical for people working in different lighting conditions, etc.

Overall, +1.
+1
DP10.13
adriano

Post by adriano »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Works for me.
FM seems to like the names upside down in the top colored bar, so that's a no workee for me :rofl: :rofl:
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

adriano wrote:
FM seems to like the names upside down in the top colored bar, so that's a no workee for me :rofl: :rofl:
:lol:

Adriano, come stai?

Ha! I hadn't noticed it.
That's what happens when you attempt to do a Photoshop job using... :oops: ... Microsoft's Word :oops:

Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
adriano

Post by adriano »

FMiguelez wrote:
adriano wrote:

Adriano, come stai?

Ha! I hadn't noticed it.
That's what happens when you attempt to do a Photoshop job using... :oops: ... Microsoft's Word :oops:

Muy bien, hermano y tu? Feliz ano nuevo atrasado. Perdoneme por no tener acentos en las palabras, estoy en un teclado de USA. :)

Adriano
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Indeed a fine suggestion. I am constantly scrolling to look at track names on the bottom to see where I am before grabbing things at the top of the strip.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

I like the last suggestion a lot. Having that sort of ghosted color right thru the track would make it much easier to work with - but if they do that, I would hope that they would give you some control over saturation. If you could either dial up/down how much color was showing, or have a couple of options (light/medium/heavy) to chose from, it would make it more practical for people working in different lighting conditions, etc.
That is indeed how it works in Pro Tools.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I would just like the little red music whole note at the top of MIDI channels as I use mono tracks quite a bit and need separation. I'm happy with the color choices in DP.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2