The DP 8.06 Bug Report Thread

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The DP 8.06 Bug Report Thread

Post by Killahurts »

michkhol wrote:DP 8.06 crashes on project open more often than not, either without reason or due to problems with Mach Five v3 plugin. The next try is usually successful.

Does not automatically update waveforms anymore (shows just a colored stripe) in case the underlying file is changed by a third-party program (DP was closed at the time of change).

I'm having problems with Mach Five as well, new with 806 it seems.. the worst one is that if I create a M5 instrument (at least in an empty instrument track), the sequence plays fine until it gets to the M5 MIDI, then DP slows to its knees and the playback jitters, and the sounds from M5 are either not played, or unusable.

I'll be trying some other projects later, so I'll try to learn the extent of the problem.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

My M5 problem (crash on instantiating a surround version) seems to have been my fault - sorta. I realized today that the track I was trying to put a 5.1 instance on had some processing plugs (all stereo) after the instrument slot.

So today I tried to put a M5 instance on a clean instrument track, and so far no crashing. I guess I should have realized that was the problem - and fair enough that a surround>stereo signal path might be problematic, but I would have expected/preferred to see some sort of warning, rather than an outright crash of DP.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
conleycd
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by conleycd »

Not sure if this is a DP 8.06 bug or not… the first MIDI note of a MIDI looped part doesn't play. It is being sent to Mach 5 III sampler in a V-rack.

It just misses it and then plays the second one (when playing in a loop). Of course it plays if I start the sequence from the beginning (bar 1) but doesn't play if looped between bar 3 and 5.

Any thoughts?
Mac Pro 5 (Early 2009) - 6 - Core, 32 gig RAM, Radeon RX 580. Mojave 10.14.6. DP 10.1
conleycd

Post by conleycd »

conleycd wrote:Not sure if this is a DP 8.06 bug or not… the first MIDI note of a MIDI looped part doesn't play. It is being sent to Mach 5 III sampler in a V-rack.

It just misses it and then plays the second one (when playing in a loop). Of course it plays if I start the sequence from the beginning (bar 1) but doesn't play if looped between bar 3 and 5.

Any thoughts?
Hmmm maybe never mind. I quantized it and although when I clicked on it is said 3:1:00 (note location) when I super zoomed it was actually at 2:4:479????? I manually dragged it back to start at 3:1:000. Then it worked.

Odd because when I clicked on it in the little window it said 3:1:000

P.S. Does anyone else's count off 1 bar on record end up stopping after the count off?

CC
Mac Pro 5 (Early 2009) - 6 - Core, 32 gig RAM, Radeon RX 580. Mojave 10.14.6. DP 10.1
remmet

Post by remmet »

Babz wrote:Based on my past experience, I suspect the Crash On Quit is being caused by one particular third party plug-in. I just concluded a long saga of hunting down a Crash-On-Close problem, and it took a while, but I was able to determine it was one particular plugin. When I removed this plugin, the crash went away. When I reinstated it, crash came back. Took even longer working with the third party company to be able to reproduce the crash and document it, but just this week, they were finally able to reproduce it, and I got them to assign it an official bug number. (They should name the bug after me, like they do when a doctor discovers a particular disease. Crashitis-On-Closeitits, Babz Variety. :) )

See if you can determine if it happens with all projects or just certain ones and then look at whether the crashy ones have an unusual plugin. Unfortunately, this is can be a time-consuming process, esp. if you have a lot of plugins.

Maybe see if all the people getting COQ are using some particular plug-in. It is likely to be a fairly non-mainstream plugin, since you would imagine that their beta testers are using the most popular suites, but who knows...

Also, I'm wondering if what you are calling "Crash On Quit" is really what I call "Crash On Close"? What I would get was a crash right after closing a project -- which is more inconvenient that Crash On Quit, since at that point you're shutting down anyway.

Best,
Babz

I've gotten COQ in 8.05 AND 8.06, and the report I almost always get cites Reaktor as the culprit plugin. Anyone else seeing that?

Richard
Last edited by remmet on Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac mini 2018 3.2GHz i7; OS X 10.144.6; 64 GB RAM; DP 10.1; Apollo X6; Kontakt 6; Omnisphere II; Adagio Everything, Spitfire almost Everything, Berlin Winds and Brass, Xosphere 2, and endless other sample libraries, acoustic and electric guitars, and assorted other essentials that have helped make me the "almost break even guy" my accountant so admires.
wheever

Post by wheever »

Not having COQ with Reaktor here.
Performer user since--HOLY CR*P--1986? YIKES!
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I was just about to buy the DP-8 update when I saw the advert in my shopping cart that said they are shipping 8.06. I stopped short thinking I would wait until I was sure this update was not buggy. Last thing I want is a bad instal disk.

To all who have posted issues here, what is you opinion and advise?
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Timeline wrote:To all who have posted issues here, what is you opinion and advise?
With the normal sorts of caveats applied (caveat emptor, install on a separate partition so you can roll back, do backups, etc.) I would say go for it. ATM, the only problem I am still having is with crash-on-quit with a third-party plug (they are working on a fix). Otherwise, very snappy.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Thanks.

Maybe I'll DL .05 while it's up there just in case they pull it down.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
labman

Post by labman »

Anyone still have troubles with 8.0.6 and trackpads/scrolling etc?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

labman wrote:Anyone still have troubles with 8.0.6 and trackpads/scrolling etc?
I didn't see any difference with 8.06. Horizontal is OK, vertical is too slow and erratic to be usable. Changing the scroll speed to maximum helps, but not enough. It's fine with all other apps.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

labman wrote:Anyone still have troubles with 8.0.6 and trackpads/scrolling etc?
Mine is better in DP 8.06. There is still a little initial hesitation on the faders, but then it starts working properly, which it didn't ever do in 8.05.

However, in Safari I had to turn off the page-forward / page-back trackpad commands. Swiping simply would not work, and it froze up Safari so that only a reboot of the Mac would fully reset it.

Now I have a pair of commands in JiTouch that are doing the page commands just fine. They don't involve swiping. Swiping motions seem to be the problem.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
labman

Post by labman »

Thanks again for the original jitouch tip. Along with kybd maestro, I am loving it. Our engineer is even making the switch to trackpads this week. May the force be with him!
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Purchased 8 yesterday. Hoping for the best. Demo was pretty good. Lost a bunch of stuff like Waves, Hypersonic, Virtual Guitar and a few I didn't care about. Some of it due to Mavericks though. I can buy my way back to Waves for 85 bucks so in time I will be doing that. Hyper and Steinberg stuff gone for good and I loved those VI's.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Timeline wrote:Purchased 8 yesterday. Hoping for the best. Demo was pretty good. Lost a bunch of stuff like Waves, Hypersonic, Virtual Guitar and a few I didn't care about. Some of it due to Mavericks though. I can buy my way back to Waves for 85 bucks so in time I will be doing that. Hyper and Steinberg stuff gone for good and I loved those VI's.
Software is like kids. It's always growing up, leaving home, misbehaving, and usually getting a lot smarter. Unlike kids, you're always getting new software. I remember back in about 1993, I had my system just like I wanted it, and I was happy. I was becoming a master in much of my software, practicing and using it constantly. Then things got upgraded. My Radius tilt monitor would no longer "tilt" (rotate from horizontal to vertical) with my computer, and Radius told me it was my problem; they weren't supporting my computer, even though it was brand new. (Quadra 660 AV) For a while I was very upset! Gradually I came to live with the fact that no system is ever going to stay put. You'll never get more than about 6 months without some major change that you've got to put up with.

Heck, I remember when Waves officially stopped supporting DP. I had 3 years of WUP paid for. 18 months later (maybe more), they started supporting DP again. I never got back the WUP I'd paid for. When I complained, they gave me a few months, but that was all.

I've spent so much money on software I could probably buy a huge house with the same amount. But then I would be doing something different for a living, and maybe I wouldn't be making that kind of money to begin with. Oh well.

I'm just rambling, Gary. Don't mind me. Just thinking back on all the disappointments and expenses of upgrades. But in the end, you get something better. You just have to remember that and get used to the new thing. That, in turn, requires more practice. That's probably the hardest part of it: the time you put into mastering something is often wasted when it turns obsolete. So, we learn to put in the minimum time it takes to learn the new changes, but we no longer strive for perfection and mastery, because we know it's going to change again.

The computer revolution has been crazy. I think the iOS stuff has finally gotten the right model for everything: it updates itself, and the apps cost $3 or less. I've got a hundred apps for less than I paid for Photoshop, and I've bought Photoshop outright — full retail — at least 5 times!!! It's time for things to just work, for upgrades to happen on their own without causing us any discomfort, and for prices to stay reasonable. That seems to be the new trend.

Oh well... best of luck with the new stuff.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|