The DP 8.06 Bug Report Thread

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The DP 8.06 Bug Report Thread

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Crashed while popping window out of CW. Appears to be the "don't move the 'elfin mouse woo fast bug. Been around a while on my systems.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Dan Worley wrote: Let me rephrase that: Is it the same for other trackpads?
Seems to differ. On my MBP, the trackpad works ok on Soundbites, Track Selector, MIDI, and TO, although the acceleration is a bit overdone. For Mixer and SE, it's really bad. I won't be testing 8.06 and the Magic Trackpad on the iMac until I'm more comfortable with the update. It's still on 8.04.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Interesting...
Group differs on “Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS”; should be 0; group is 80

Permissions differ on “Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are drwxrwxr-x

Repaired “Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS”
Yes I got that one and a few other strange ones.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I also got a boatload of QuickTime repairs but there was a codec download recently so that makes sense. Should be putting DP thru its paces next week.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 8.04 and 8.05 along with 8.01 can all be downloaded from MOTU.com still.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Another crash on quit - so not sure what is going on....
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Did you repair permissions yet? (sorry, have to ask-- someone mentioned that helping them).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Based on my past experience, I suspect the Crash On Quit is being caused by one particular third party plug-in. I just concluded a long saga of hunting down a Crash-On-Close problem, and it took a while, but I was able to determine it was one particular plugin. When I removed this plugin, the crash went away. When I reinstated it, crash came back. Took even longer working with the third party company to be able to reproduce the crash and document it, but just this week, they were finally able to reproduce it, and I got them to assign it an official bug number. (They should name the bug after me, like they do when a doctor discovers a particular disease. Crashitis-On-Closeitits, Babz Variety. :) )

See if you can determine if it happens with all projects or just certain ones and then look at whether the crashy ones have an unusual plugin. Unfortunately, this is can be a time-consuming process, esp. if you have a lot of plugins.

Maybe see if all the people getting COQ are using some particular plug-in. It is likely to be a fairly non-mainstream plugin, since you would imagine that their beta testers are using the most popular suites, but who knows...

Also, I'm wondering if what you are calling "Crash On Quit" is really what I call "Crash On Close"? What I would get was a crash right after closing a project -- which is more inconvenient that Crash On Quit, since at that point you're shutting down anyway.

Best,
Babz
Babz

Post by Babz »

Another strategy is to start with a new blank DP project.

Do you get crash on quit after closing that project?

If you do, then I'd say it's a DP 8.0.6 bug.

If not, try adding one third party plugin at a time and closing the project.
Start with unusual or non-mainstream plugins, or whatever one you might suspect the most.

Open and close the project several times, maybe up to 10 times. If you don't get any crashes, remove the plugin and try the next one.

Yadda Yadda Yadda, until you find one that produces a crash.

Then try removing that plug from the project and seeing if you get the crash to go away. Try opening and closing at least twice before you conclude that the crash has gone away. I have found that plugins that cause a crash on close can make that project more prone to crashing, even after it is removed. So that's why I recommend you open and close several times.

Next, reinstantiate the plugin and do the open/close thing to see if the crash comes back.

This is how I was able to pinpoint one particular plugin as the cause of a crash.

Hope this helps.

Babz
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

stubbsonic wrote:Did you repair permissions yet? (sorry, have to ask-- someone mentioned that helping them).
Yes said that in my earlier post which seemed to clear it up - but it happened again which is why I re-posted my confusion.
Gary Shepherd
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Babz wrote:...This is how I was able to pinpoint one particular plugin as the cause of a crash...
Babz
Maybe you don't want to squeal on the 3rd party developer of the plug, but if not, can you tell us which one it was? I am about to move DP to Mavericks + a new machine, and if I can avoid crash-on-quit scenarios that would be nice.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Babz

Post by Babz »

This was on DP 8.0.5 and Mountain Lion, so not especially relevant to this thread, but it is Arturia Analog Lab and CS-80v. Only happens with AU version, and you can use the VST version while they work on a fix. (Haven't had a chance to confirm this myself yet.) But it is now a referenced bug with a developer's ticket number, and on the list for a fix in a future update.

I love Arturia products! Incredible classic analog synth recreations. Just auditioning presets while running my tests I kept getting ideas for tunes.

And they were very diligent and persistent in helping me track down this bug.

Babz
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Any project that employs Scuffham plugs
will crash on quit. The 8.06 Read Me states
that there is now improved compatibility
with Scuffham Amp plugins, but I guess
that doesnt include the COQ problem.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
ChrisByrd

Post by ChrisByrd »

bayswater wrote:
Dan Worley wrote: Let me rephrase that: Is it the same for other trackpads?
Seems to differ. On my MBP, the trackpad works ok on Soundbites, Track Selector, MIDI, and TO, although the acceleration is a bit overdone. For Mixer and SE, it's really bad. I won't be testing 8.06 and the Magic Trackpad on the iMac until I'm more comfortable with the update. It's still on 8.04.
I'm having the same problems - one thing I've noticed is the same behaviour whether I use the Magic Trackpad or the trackpad on my MBP. Mixer and SE seem the worse, but the glitchiness is very noticeable when trying to scroll the text in the new guided tutorial project.

Apart from the is 8.06 is working well for me.
MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.9.1, Apogee Duet Firewire, Yamaha S90, Digital Performer 8.0.5, Finale 2012c, Cubase 7, Logic Pro X, NI Komplete 9, HALion 5
cloudsplitter

Post by cloudsplitter »

Downloaded 8.06 did a restart repaired permissions then opened dp. No crash on close/quit problem here. I did however get the same permissions alerts as stated above
Mac Pro 3,1 8 core 12 gigs ram Mavericks. DP-8.05 Fractal Audio Axe-FX Ultra, motu traveler, motu MIDI express, 2-24" LCD monitors, Yamaha HS80M,Yamaha NS10M's JBL28P monitors. Mackie control universal, BFD-2, Omnisphere,Trilian Ozone 4, Melodyne Studio/Editor, . Alesis Masterlink. Avalon 737sp. PCM 90. MikTek C4V. Korg Triton Extreme. Paul Reed Smith guitars, MPC-2500 there's more..but that's the heart of it.