The DP 8.06 Bug Report Thread

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The DP 8.06 Bug Report Thread

Post by Timeline »

Thanks S. I know what your saying and have spent a bit much as you too.

Here are some immediate realizations with 8 I thought I should mention:

In the Sequence editor, I don't see why the curser tick for notes selected does not remain on on the timeline when releasing the mouse to move them. We use the rt - lft arrows most of the time anyway. I want to see the tick when using the arrows, don't you?

It seems also its totally time to rebuild the freeze function and add Normalize freeze to Freeze Selected tracks.

I see no reason to reduce levels from original levels as recorded just because of automation settings. A freeze should use the exact automation/fader levels on completion of the freeze to change levels and produce the freeze waveform at the exact original level for sound purity. Let the fader position come back on the freeze tracks to correct for the original levels. This would be the correct way to freeze IMHO.

While discussing freeze, I would also like to be able to, for instance, change an articulation say in Vienna and reprint the freeze but on a separate track. As it is now it rewrites over the same track which defeats my desired result. I tried changing names on the MIDI/VI return tracks and the freeze tracks too yet it still overwrote. Why not have the MIDI/VI return audio tracks force a new freeze track based just by changing the origin name? Is this not logical?

I still hold out hope for an "Update to end" button in the automation like SSL did with their sys although I may be dead when they figure out it's an incredible time saving workflow idea at MOTU. (explanations by request)

A few things bother me about 8 in the insert appointments and I'm as you say, dealing with them. They threw the kitchen sink into that menu but it's still a slow dog workflow for me to get around in. Also did we loose the clone insert settings to another track or is there another trick to that now?

Also had a crash when trying to save a project with audio to disk. This happened saying file not found error(-43) yet all the audio was playing no problem when I requested the save. Truthfully it happened after I had deleted unused soundbites and compacted the session. I saved it so I see no reason it should not have worked, also, it was slow to redraw the analyze track waveforms yet its set to immediately redraw. Even some playback errors were noted which straightened out after subsequent plays of the project strangely.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I tried to open the waveform editor by double-clicking on a soundbite, but it wouldn't open. I saved, and relaunched DP8 and it worked fine.

I had zoomed way into the waveform in the editor and the display got pretty slow and unresponsive.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

stubbsonic wrote:I tried to open the waveform editor by double-clicking on a soundbite, but it wouldn't open. I saved, and relaunched DP8 and it worked fine.

I had zoomed way into the waveform in the editor and the display got pretty slow and unresponsive.
The bug that occurs on extreme zoom in when you try and move the note is still there too.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
Richard Smith

Post by Richard Smith »

I've been skimming through all the comments about DP8 and haven't found anyone talking about the MIDI problem I'm having. Here goes:
I'm running Mavericks and DP8.06. After installing DP8 I opened up Audio MID Setup from Mac Utilities to configure my MIDI setup as I have done many times before with previous versions of DP. Made all the connections and went to test studio. Nothing communicating from the Mac but it was receiving from the devices. Tried several times and decided to go ahead and open DP8 to see if it was sending or receiving MIDI. It seems to be receiving but not sending. Decided to open the DP8 manual and read about Bundles. Tried that, viola! It worked...for a minute. I'm finding that it's totally unstable and very frustrating. Has anyone else had this problem? At first I thought it might be a Mavericks issue but now I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Tried MOTU Tech links but no reply as yet. Thanks
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You didn't say what MIDI interface you are using. Maybe it needs an updated driver to work with Mavericks.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

After a few weeks with 8.05 I have a few more issues.

Freeze tracks does not always allow multiple freezes at once like 7.

Bounce to disk renders pops loudly even if no VI's are involved.

In the sequence edit window, Mute highlight requires you to select mute edit from inserts before it appears REGARDLESS of how many mutes you have on that track init's original place. It should simply be left on and no hide and seek should be in the software. Very Strange!

Kontakt 5 does not always select/see the instrument when coming from Kontakt 5 in DP7. I understand why Kontakt 3 or 4 does it because I was told its incompatible with Mavericks and 64 bit but in 5???

Things I don't like.

When selecting notes in SE, windows appear automatically when you don't want them to to select functions already in the pulldown menu and when you select a group of notes, and this happens, you loose the selection of notes you carefully selected.

Seems harder to grab crossfades now and other functions requiring the hand icon.

Click audio seems intermittent. On some tunes it's there in the metronome window and others it can't find the sounds. Not sure what's up with that.

Finally,

I have had crashes on BFD2 when grabbing the timeline curser and pulling it backwards. This is intermittent and sometimes it's fine.

I waited until recently to buy 8 and although I'm liking allot of the changes, there is allot to fix still. Maybe I should have waited another 6 months.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Timeline wrote:After a few weeks with 8.05 I have a few more issues.
Are you talking about 8.05 or 8.06? Your sig says 6 and this topic is 6. It matters to me because I'm still on 5 and wondering if I should bother with the update.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I'm in 8.05 currently as stated at top of post. I have heard too many complaints about 8.06 and am being cautious until a later version appears. Motu mailed me 8.05 a month after 8.06 was released so maybe they knew something. I would not doubt the same issues are in .06.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Timeline wrote:I'm in 8.05 currently as stated at top of post. I have heard too many complaints about 8.06 and am being cautious until a later version appears. Motu mailed me 8.05 a month after 8.06 was released so maybe they knew something. I would not doubt the same issues are in .06.
You should change your signature then. It says DP 7.24 & 8.06
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

OK... Thanks
Richard Smith

Post by Richard Smith »

Hey Bayswater, I'm using a Fastlane USB interface. I went to the MOTU website 3xs and downloaded the latest MIDI drivers available before this started happening. I kinda figured out a work around though but it still puzzles me that the Audio MIDI Set Up doesn't really work at all...at least in this case. My work around, if you're interested, is simply to open DP8 first, create a MIDI Bundle (if the Fastlane has been identified...), then go to Audio MIDI Set Up just to see if everything I created in the Bundle is represented there. It seems to work for now. Do you have any words of wisdom for me? I have a lot of work to complete and I've been waiting for a DAW that I could count on, I'm still hopeful DP8 will be the one. Thanks for your help.
Richard
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Sorry, it's a mystery to me. Whatever the problem is, it's not DP that's causing it. DP, like any other DAW simply uses whatever CoreMIDI reports to it, as defined in AudioMIDI Setup, which in turn gets it's info about your device from the driver. When you open the Bundles window in DP it just shows you what it sees from AudioMIDI.

Maybe a couple of screenshots of what you see in AudioMIDI and Bundles would help others figure out what's going on.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Need lots more information. This would be a deal breaker if BTD ever did that to me.

There are so many settings options in BTD that we have to know what you are trying to do to even have a clue.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

mikehalloran wrote:
Need lots more information. This would be a deal breaker if BTD ever did that to me.

There are so many settings options in BTD that we have to know what you are trying to do to even have a clue.
Hi Mike. I simply select all in tracks window and "Bounce". Also I see no S R select in bounce in 8 and wonder where they went. The clicks are obvious deep midrange sounding which when the project is played, do not appear. I fear bounce has been revised but changed unfortunately from 7 for some reason. Fortunately I still capture in an Alesis Masterlink so I'm good. Explain the setting available. Maybe I missed this.