Can't bounce to disk in DP8.05

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Justin_K
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can't bounce to disk in DP8.05

Post by Justin_K »

Hi there,

I'm trying to bounce to disk but each time I do, regardless of the format I choose, it freeze after a couple of seconds, tells me there is an error and disables the Motu Audio System.

The machine is not overloaded and there's plenty of ram and buffer size.

I don't know how to post images, but the screen reads;

"Digital Performer has encountered an error.
File buffer not ready (Disk too slow? To many tracks?)
(MotuAudioSystem Mas [1:0])"

I click OK, then I get this:

"The MOTU Audio System has been turned off. You may be able to turn it back on with the Audio System Menu, but consider saving your file first.
OS error:
Unexpected error (0)"

I've downloaded and reinstalled drivers
I've downloaded and reinstalled DP 8.05
I've repaired permissions.
I've even reset p-ram.

Same result.

I then dragged one audio file to my desktop, then opened a new DP session. It bounced fine. The trouble is I'm working on big projects, and so I can't just drag stuff out and cobble it back together again.

So it seems my DP8 is able to complete the tasks, but on the projects that are current, there is something there ••••ing it up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance :)

Mac Pro OSX 10.7.5 (not 10.5.7 as I mistakenly posted earlier)
2x2.4 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
28 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
OSX 10.5.7
Last edited by Justin_K on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro OSX 10.10.5
2 x 3.33 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon
42 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
DP 9.13
HCMarkus

Re: Can't bounce to disk in DP8.05

Post by HCMarkus »

Are you really running 10.5? 10.6.8 or 10.8.3 (or .4) might be a better idea.

Are you running everything from a single HD? Try spreading VI sample sets and audio files across multiple drives before you bounce.
Last edited by HCMarkus on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin_K

Post by Justin_K »

Nope.

Typo!

I'm running 10.7.5

Thanks for picking that up
Mac Pro OSX 10.10.5
42 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
DP 9.13
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Edited my post above... another thought
Justin_K

Post by Justin_K »

I have all my audio and samples spread across 3 hard drives. All drives are working fine. In fact they do MORE hard work (I would have thought) playing live orchestral samples from VEPro when I'm writing. I always assumed the bouncing was a less intense simple because it has the luxury of time compared to real time processing.

I dunno… :)

Like I said in my first post, I CAN bounce when I open a fresh session, and I had no dramas at all last year when I was working with DP7
Mac Pro OSX 10.10.5
42 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
DP 9.13
Justin_K

Post by Justin_K »

Any more thoughts?

Can anyone decipher the error messages and suggest a course of action?

Perhaps it's a sign that my hard drive is on the way out? No other symptoms though…

Help please!!

:(
Mac Pro OSX 10.10.5
42 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
DP 9.13
Justin_K

Post by Justin_K »

Hi again.

I've started up once more to fix my studio.

I loaded DP onto my laptop and copied my project across.

It opened and the bounce to disk was perfect, so at least I know my project isn't corrupted (I guess??)

My laptop hasn't got all my plugs so I was dealing only with audio, so there is something in my main setup which is causing the issues. The trouble is, I'm not as tech savvy as many, so I don't know where to start to find the culprit.

I just trashed my preferences. No help. I'm not sure what else to try.

I'm a nerd, but I need a bigger nerd to assist me!

Please Anyone?? Any suggestions welcome!

Thanking you in advance.
Mac Pro OSX 10.10.5
42 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
DP 9.13
Justin_K

Post by Justin_K »

I just uninstalled VE Pro and bounce to disk works..

I reinstalled it and then reloaded my DP project but didn't have VE Pro running and the same crash reappeared.

trying to think this through… SO if VE Pro wasn't open, then no kontakt instruments are open either which rules out any instrument bug. Just by having VE Pro in my system is ••••ing me up.

Can anyone suggest the reason, and therefore a fix?
Mac Pro OSX 10.10.5
42 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
DP 9.13
Justin_K

Post by Justin_K »

In case anyone is interested, the guys at MOTU phone support assisted me on this.

Whilst they couldn't FIX the problem, (they were a little baffled too, after telling me to do all the stuff I'd already tried) they suggested the following which worked and allowed me to put all this behind me.

Open a new project
Go to "File"
then "Load"
then select old project (the one that was causing problems)

from there I could select individual sequences (chunks) with or without audio, which then imported into the new project.

All works fine now, bounce to disk perfect.

We could only assume that SOMETHING was corrupt in the old file, and thankfully the problem wasn't imported during this fix-it method.
Mac Pro OSX 10.10.5
42 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
DP 9.13
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thanks for the report.

I'm glad it's working for you now.
Also, you just learnt a VERY POWERFUL DP feature, which is great for fixing these rare problems, or for many other more creative purposes (such as working with "loadable template chunks by cherry-picking", etc. )
Did you also notice in the Load window that you can load a project's bundles (and many other things)? That is such a useful feature!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm trying to bounce to disk but each time I do, regardless of the format I choose, it freeze after a couple of seconds, tells me there is an error and disables the Motu Audio System.
Every time I have encountered this error, it was due to bad RAM.

So far, I bat 100% on this. Unfortunately, I cannot be equally certain that it's your problem but that you got it working on another Mac gives me a clue that I may be right.

RAM errors are sometimes difficult to detect. One of the issues is that RAM may behave normally at regular temperatures. Bounce to Disk, however, is quite RAM intensive - this is why it's often the only symptom you may encounter - at first.

The best tool I have ever used for this is TechTool. If you bought AppleCare with your machine, you have a copy - MicroMat.com has updates you can download. There's freeware, too.

If it's not bad RAM, it's interference. You will need to open Console to see what calls are being made and failing in that case.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Justin_K

Post by Justin_K »

I appreciate your reply mate, but if you read above- problem solved.

RAM fine.
Mac Pro OSX 10.10.5
42 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
DP 9.13
penna
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Can't bounce to disk in DP8.05 (or 4.52)

Post by penna »

Hi, here is a solution that solved this problem for me. I'm using DP 4.52 on OS 10.3.9... old stuff I know, but I got this PowerMac G4 500 used a few years ago, old installations of everything, recorded and mixed a bunch of projects and never ran into a system limitation. Now on a fresh OS and DP reinstall, with just a few tracks running and no plugins, every time I tried to Bounce To Disk on ONE particular project, I got the "File buffer not ready (Disk is too slow? Too many tracks?) (MotuAudioSystem MAS MasVoice.h, 203 [1:0])" error. I tried a ton of different suggestions I'd read online, even opening a New project and Loading in the problem project, but I got the same error. Then I noticed it kept happening at the exact SAME point every time. I looked at all the tracks in the Sequence Editor window at that point, and noticed there were two Soundbyte end / start points up against each other right at that point. I remembered reading somewhere "DP doesn't like a bunch of separate Soundbytes, merge often..." so I copied the track, merged the Soundbytes, tried bouncing with that track instead of the unmerged track, and voila, it went straight through to the end with no error! I'm still not sure why that particular edit was such a problem; it played through it no problem, and I've done a bunch of projects with 24+ tracks, dozens of plugins and a ton of separate Soundbytes (I'm not very good on my instruments, have to do a ton of edits and hate committing to them!) and have never had this error before. Anyway, what a relief to solve this problem... because what's the point of recording your music if you can't bounce it out of your DAW and crank it in your car? ;-)