attach MIDI controller

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
henrod
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

attach MIDI controller

Post by henrod »

Hi all. I've got one, very large DP7.24 file with around 300 chunks. Each chunk is a complete song, 99.9% MIDI, and I use this for my solo act.

I just got a Korg nanoKontrol2 ,set it up for DP and it works great. Here's what I can't get it to do:

I created a v-rack with a bunch of aux tracks, which return the audio from my Ultralite MK3. The default setup for the nanoKontrol appears to be that it controls the first 8 tracks in the mixing board, and you can't move the track order of a v-rack to come before the main tracks. I tried using 'attach MIDI controller' but I can't seem to get it to work. I get the red box around the fader, but when I move the fader on the Korg, DP doesn't 'hear' it.

Without the v-rack, I'd need to create aux tracks for each of my 300+ chunks and order them properly to have the control I want to have. The v-rack is a dream come true - I just need to fix this one problem.

Thanks in advance.
2014 MacBook Pro 15" Retina (10.15.7, 16GB, 500GB SSD), DP 10.13, Ultralite Mk3 (FW), MidiExpress 128, Roland XV5050, Kurzweil MicroPiano, Kurzweil SP6-7, TC Helicon Quintet, Fender American Stratocaster (2000), Martin DCPA4.
FMiguelez

Re: attach MIDI controller

Post by FMiguelez »

Unfortunately, I don´t think you can attach a MIDI controller to anything that is in a V-Rack :(

V-Racks do rock, but automation is not permitted.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
henrod

Post by henrod »

FMiguelez wrote:Unfortunately, I don´t think you can attach a MIDI controller to anything that is in a V-Rack :(

V-Racks do rock, but automation is not permitted.
Hmmm. MOTU's tech support guy told me I could do this on the phone yesterday. However, the reality seems different. It does allow you to go through the motions of selecting "attach MIDI controller", the faders do turn red as they're supposed to. I was starting to think that maybe the Korg isn't actually sending MIDI - it connects directly through USB to the Mac. This shouldn't matter, but I wonder.
2014 MacBook Pro 15" Retina (10.15.7, 16GB, 500GB SSD), DP 10.13, Ultralite Mk3 (FW), MidiExpress 128, Roland XV5050, Kurzweil MicroPiano, Kurzweil SP6-7, TC Helicon Quintet, Fender American Stratocaster (2000), Martin DCPA4.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Wel, I HOPE I am wrong then :)

I know for sure attaching MIDI controllers work for Aux tracks because just yesterday I tried it. You can be sure if it works by trying it in an Aux inside a regular chunk.

If it works in a V-Rack at all, I suppose it would be only to move the fader or knob, but not to write any automation.

But let's see if someone more knowledgeable pops in...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
csansom

Post by csansom »

Sadly, I'm not that 'someone more knowledgeable', but I have a related problem. I too have just got a Korg nanoKONTROL2, and although it works very well in DAW mode (with Mackie control in the Surface Control setup), I don't seem to be able to get anything out of it in 'CC' mode with DP9. I reconnect with the Set Marker and Cycle buttons pressed as per instructions, but MIDI learn does nothing with it. I've even tried deleting the surface control setup to see if that was getting in the way, but it made no difference. And, as FMiguelez suggested, I've tried it on an aux track added to a regular chunk, but still to no avail. This is very disappointing, as that's the main way I'd like to use it. Any suggestions? Maybe there's a crucial setting I've missed (and I have to say that the new, sadly PDF-only, manual is extremely skimpy in this area).
iMac Pro (2017), macOS 12.7.2 Monterey, MOTU M4, Adam A7 monitors, DP 11.3 94678, Finale 27.4.1, VIs from NI, SampleModeling, AudioModeling, Spitfire, Soniccouture, IK, UVI, Modartt, etc. Studiologic acuna88 keyboard
daerp1

Post by daerp1 »

I wonder if there has been any new info on this problem since the last post in 2015. I just bought a nanoKontrol2 and yes, it mostly works in DAW mode with DP9, but I can't seem to use it to send CC data at all. Like others, I've booted it in CC mode and tried to set up a new 'scene', but it doesn't communicate. No data is sent or, if it is sent, DP is not receiving. Any help from anyone here? Or should I take the thing back.
I hope I can get it to work. It seems to be working in a David Das video on YouTube, which is where I found out about it.
Digital Performer 10, iMac using OSX 10.14.5
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Go get that free MIDI Monitor app

https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

With that, you should be able to tell what your NanoControl is transmitting. Then you can work out how to use those CC control messages to do things in DP. You might want to start a new thread.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
daerp1

Post by daerp1 »

stubbsonic wrote:Go get that free MIDI Monitor app

https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

With that, you should be able to tell what your NanoControl is transmitting. Then you can work out how to use those CC control messages to do things in DP. You might want to start a new thread.

That's great. I'll get the app. Korg is not into tech support or customer service apparently. I'll try getting it to work for a couple of days, and if no success, back it goes to the store.

Is there a better controller for entering CC data? I want a controller without a keyboard for travel purposes.

Thx
Digital Performer 10, iMac using OSX 10.14.5
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

daerp1 wrote:
Is there a better controller for entering CC data? I want a controller without a keyboard for travel purposes.

Thx

The Korg SHOULD work. That's what it's for.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com