There's NO automation of DP8's plug-ins vía control surface?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

There's NO automation of DP8's plug-ins vía control surface?

Post by FMiguelez »

PLEASE tell me I´m wrong!

I just tried with DP7, and I could find no way to "attach" a MIDI controller to a DP plug-in parameter. I would need to do this to be able to automate them from my Novation Controller.

Is this possible? If so, how?

The Attach MIDI Controller only seems to be available for the mixer's knobs and faders (as mentioned in the manual), but there's not even a contextual menu for the plugs :?

Can this be? That we can automate 3rd party plug-ins but NOT MOTU's own plugs? :unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn:

Any Novation users who have figured this out? I don't see Automap Pro having MAS support for DP's plug-ins either.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
cuttime

Re: There's NO automation of DP8's plug-ins vía control surf

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Yes. I was there.
But I meant AUDIO plug-in automation (not MIDI, like that thread's topic).

A quick glance at the thread, to refresh my memory, and it doesn't look promising...
The manual only mentioned faders and knobs in the mixer...
I didn't find a way to do it...

I guess that answers my own question :(

I suppose that's a MAS limitation?

Does it strike anyone as odd (to be polite) that we can automate almost any 3rd party plug with a control surface, but we can't do so with DP's native ones? We can automate Q8 but not Trim :shake:

Would anyone like to be able to do it?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
LinnSound

Post by LinnSound »

Yes, this bothers me as well, was trying to do an eq sweep last night and found that I had to do it mouse-only :cry: Not as much fun, and kind of disappointing.

Do you think it's possible to create a MIDI track, record the automation data there, and somehow point the plug-in to read that? I know in the Sequence window you can write your own plug-in automation data with the pencil tool, haven't found anything that let's me say "Your automation data's over here, little plug-in" yet, though.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

PITA, but how about custom consoles?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
reedster

Post by reedster »

ControllerMate can do this.

With the help of Ken over at orderedbytes.com I have a prototype of a helper app to turn MWEQ knobs from a Korg NanoKontrol.

discussion: http://tinyurl.com/nsf5rus
in action: http://tinyurl.com/nw7oymf
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule