MIDI, VIs, Latency and Apogee (non MOTU hardware)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI, VIs, Latency and Apogee (non MOTU hardware)

Post by HCMarkus »

I actually thought of that at one point... shoulda' oughta' mentioned it, but cool you got it straightened out!
wheever

Post by wheever »

Excellent!
Performer user since--HOLY CR*P--1986? YIKES!
catfishmusic

Post by catfishmusic »

Thanks guys! And thanks for the help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Pro 2.93G 12 core, 28G RAM, 10.9, DP 8, Apogee Symphony i o, Apogee Symphony 64 PCIe, Motu MTP AV, MachFive 3.2 and other fun stuff
bruceknee
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by bruceknee »

catfishmusic wrote:SOLVED!

Just wanted to follow up for anyone that runs into this issue. After a reply from Apogee, and lots of trial and error....I found the problem. Host Multiplier was somehow set at 4....changing it to 1 fixed it. I'm back in business. Amazing how much of a difference that made.

A side note: I'm a little disappointed that MOTU never replied to my Tech Link. Apogee replied in 24hrs, MOTU no reply in 6 business days.

Hi CatfishMusic. Can I ask you some advice ? I am thinking about getting the Apogee Symphony to use with new Mac Pro and DP8. I am wondering if you have any regrets so far. I am worried about the direct monitoring issue. It seems non Motu hardware do have some issues. Have you found this to be the case ?
Todzilla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Todzilla »

catfishmusic wrote:SOLVED!

Just wanted to follow up for anyone that runs into this issue. After a reply from Apogee, and lots of trial and error....I found the problem. Host Multiplier was somehow set at 4....changing it to 1 fixed it. I'm back in business. Amazing how much of a difference that made.

A side note: I'm a little disappointed that MOTU never replied to my Tech Link. Apogee replied in 24hrs, MOTU no reply in 6 business days.
Congrats for getting this fixed.

FWIW, I'm caught between MOTU and Apogee on another issue (digital inputs not showing up in DP), but I'm having the opposite experience: MOTU is very responsive, Apogee has me on their ignore list.
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
catfishmusic

Post by catfishmusic »

bruceknee wrote:
Hi CatfishMusic. Can I ask you some advice ? I am thinking about getting the Apogee Symphony to use with new Mac Pro and DP8. I am wondering if you have any regrets so far. I am worried about the direct monitoring issue. It seems non Motu hardware do have some issues. Have you found this to be the case ?
No regrets the Apogee rocks. If you're Mac can't handle it you can use Apogee's Maestro low latency monitoring software which is like Motu's Cuemix.

@Todzilla- that's funny. Guess it depends on the week. Good luck with the digital issue.
Mac Pro 2.93G 12 core, 28G RAM, 10.9, DP 8, Apogee Symphony i o, Apogee Symphony 64 PCIe, Motu MTP AV, MachFive 3.2 and other fun stuff
tomzink

Post by tomzink »

I was experiencing crazy latency and processor spiking even on my new mac pro (2013 trashcan version) while using the UVI Tines instrument in Protools. Installed Vienna Ensemble Pro (3rd party Virtual Instruments only work on the pro version unfortunately), and the difference was more than stunning. Almost no latency feeling even at 256, and processor went from 20-50% (with some 90% spikes) to.......2% . I'm not missing a zero on that, it's actually reading 2% . I'm not sure how they do it, but it's pretty amazing.
:D
MacPro(Black), ApogeeSymphony, DP8, PT11, UAD Octo