Huge audio issues in Mavericks

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Huge audio issues in Mavericks

Post by Timeline »

I just moved up to Mav and 7.24 and sorry to hear all of this. So far, I'm finding things working but I have RME IOs. I have had some crashes but increasing buffers clears them out. Several Freezes have failed but selecting less VI's and doing groups of freezing cures that. I'm staying in Mav for now but wonder how going backwards would even work out. Don't want to even go there.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
bdr

Post by bdr »

I'm spending the weekend doing a clean install and borrowed a different interface to test out. Here's hoping..
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

As some others have experiment, no major issue here.
I played two different live shows, with audio and VIs, in DP8.05/OS10.9: no backup, nor hiccup!

Very small annoyances, though. Such as trim increment, but no show-stopper. There has always been some and will always be, I guess...

Most of all, never a crash related to DP8.05/OS10.9 in normal use. And, well, that's a thing for me.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Timeline wrote:I just moved up to Mav and 7.24 and sorry to hear all of this. So far, I'm finding things working but I have RME IOs. I have had some crashes but increasing buffers clears them out. Several Freezes have failed but selecting less VI's and doing groups of freezing cures that. I'm staying in Mav for now but wonder how going backwards would even work out. Don't want to even go there.
Your issues would be less or nonexistent in 64bit.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Hum, hum... I guess, I do know where it is now...
That was an example of how it can be done. Time Capsules work via WiFi, too and the new towers support 802.11ac which is faster than gigabyte ethernet (as long as the clients support it also). There is no reason to believe that my hidden devices are connected to any of the ethernet cables.

Having suffered a burglary once, this is not paranoia.

My son-in-law was one of the test engineers on 802.11ac so, for years, I knew it was coming. I bought a new tower with my wife's new MB Air and have A/B'd the speed on huge file transfers. The spec says that 802.11ac is 30% faster. I routinely get 20% faster from any room in the house.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

bdr wrote:I'm spending the weekend doing a clean install and borrowed a different interface to test out. Here's hoping..
Any luck?
DP10.13
bdr

Post by bdr »

Thanks for the interest Dan...I believe (fingers crossed) that I'm OK after a clean install. Everything is working fine at the moment, even iTunes. I'm pretty sure it was a driver issue as sometimes I would restart the Mac and the driver wouldn't load properly. Some strange conflict between old and new systems, old and new drivers, and who knows what else.

I'm sure that as soon as I have a client back here though......

Thanks again for all the assistance and thoughts.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Open Console to see what isn't loading correctly. Usually it's benign; other times you will find old junk that needs to be removed.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

bdr wrote:I'm sure that as soon as I have a client back here though......
Ha! I know that all too well.

Glad you got things working.
DP10.13
Richard Smith

Post by Richard Smith »

mikehalloran wrote:Open Console to see what isn't loading correctly. Usually it's benign; other times you will find old junk that needs to be removed.
How do you know it's old junk and needs to be removed? And then, how do you remove it?
Thanks...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Richard Smith wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Open Console to see what isn't loading correctly. Usually it's benign; other times you will find old junk that needs to be removed.
How do you know it's old junk and needs to be removed? And then, how do you remove it?
Thanks...
Something will take too long to run. When you open Console, it will show processes failing to load. Run Find File, run GetInfo and see how old it is. My wife's iMac was trying to load video drivers from 2002 once. Another time, Time Machine was not working because it was choking on Finale 2006 Help files

A common one for DP is the Mackie Control Surfaces plugin. This will cause DP 8 to take forever to load or crash when loading. The fix is to reboot, reinstall DP 8, repair Permissions again.

A Google search helps, too. Some processes that fail to load are fixed by doing a Safe Boot to rebuild certain libraries (boot with Shift Key held down) then shutting down and booting normally.

Some processes will always fail to load or calls will be made to libraries that no longer exist. Code is often sloppy. The problem is when things take too long to load or don't run at all.