Where do DP's track inputs come from?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Todzilla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Where do DP's track inputs come from?

Post by Todzilla »

I have configured my Apogee Symphony I/O to be my interface, but am slaving a MOTU 896HD via lightpipe. The Symphony's Maestro software shows that inputs from the MOTU are being received in the Symphony, under the ADAT channels, but when I go into DP to choose them, it only shows the Symphony's analog inputs and all the busses.

I cant' figure out why DP doesn't list the Symphony's digital inputs as well.

Is this a DP thing or an Apogee thing?

Any help is appreciate.
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
NazRat

Re: Where do DP's track inputs come from?

Post by NazRat »

Sometimes you have to 'Add' the I/O in DP's bundles window.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
Todzilla

Post by Todzilla »

Thanks NazRat.

I tried that, but the digital inputs weren't listed on the list of inputs to add.
-Todzilla
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
magicd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by magicd »

DP displays the I/O ports that are currently being made available by the selected audio driver.

If ports are missing, it's because they are not being made available by the driver.

For example, with a MOTU 828, there are two sets of optical banks that can be enabled or disabled via the MOTU Audio Setup utility. If the optical ports are disabled, they don't show up as available in DP.

Check the configuration software for the Apogee. Makes sure the ports you want are actually enabled.

Dave
buhardilla
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by buhardilla »

:?:
I´ve got a TCStudiokonnekt ADAT linked to a RME AiO and all I/O are available and operative in DP... you must check your Apogee driver prefs and settings
DP 10.11 || iMac 2019 5K ||i9 8core 3.6GHz|| 64 GB RAM|| macOS 11.5.1
RME AiOPro || Softube Console 1 ||
Todzilla

Post by Todzilla »

I'm happy to say this is now resolved.

And I'm happy to say that MOTU support was superb in assisting me, both through the online interface and over the phone. Many software companies would have put me off, saying that this was an Apogee issue and theirs. But MOTU got in to the middle of this and gave me all the info I needed to solve it. KUDOS!!!

Here's the solution (which is as much for own documentation as anything):

It appeared that the Apogee was only showing 16 inputs and generically named inputs. The MOTU tech sent me to the Audio MIDI setup and had me open the Audio Window. From there, I chose the Symphony. It listed the channels and most importantly, what each channel was mapped to in the 16 generic inputs. I had my eureka moment when I saw this:

Ch Volume Value dB Mute Thru
1: A Line 1
2: A Line 2
3: A AES 1
4: A AES 2
5: ADAT 1
6: ADAT 2

I went to DP and selected the "Symphony USB Audio 5" and sure enough, my 896HD's channel 1 was recording into DP!

To make things easier in the future, I went into my bundles window and renamed "Symphony USB Audio 5" to be "ADAT 1" and on down the line for all ADAT channels.

So now I can use 2 channels of Apogee boutiqueness for drum overheads, and the 8 channels of still very very good AD conversion of the MOTU 896HD for individual drums. I am very happy.

Again, thanks MOTU support!!!!
-Todzilla