Stuck MIDI notes! What is UP?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Stuck MIDI notes! What is UP?

Post by David Polich »

mikehalloran wrote:It may be a USB 1.1 issue. The MTP AV-USB is not USB 2 (are any of the MOTU MIDI interfaces?). .
Yes, all of MOTU's current MIDI interfaces are USB 2.

http://www.motu.com/products/MIDI/xpressxt_usb
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
tmav

Post by tmav »

I'm having stuck note problem with Motu MIDI Timepiece AV USB on rMBP late 2013 running Mavericks 10.9.2 and Logic Pro X 10.0.6. However, I'm only having the issue using external synths. Soft synths seem to trigger on/off fine. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Motu Timepiece by creating a simple routing environment and using RME Fireface MIDI IO. Soon as I replace the RME MIDI IO with the Timepiece I get stuck notes. Hopefully sticking a USB 2.0 powered hub in chain fixes the problem. That would be really cool instead of having to do more trouble shooting and/or buy a new MIDI interface. Do they even make one as versatile as the MTP AV anymore? If the USB 2 powered hub fixes the problem I'll report back.
tmav

Post by tmav »

Using a powered USB 2 hub in between the USB 3 port on MBP did resolve the stuck note issue with the Motu MTP AV USB. Happy this worked. However, it would be nice if this was not needed. It would be nice if Apple/Motu fixed this.
sheer

Post by sheer »

Thank you so much! It works fine with a powered 3.0 USB hub too. I suspect that the isolation for the USB is using a DC-DC powered off the USB bus, and that the mac is just a li'l under spec on either volts or amps - funny since apple's the company that pushed the 2.1A standard but maybe they only crank it up on devices that ask for it. Anyway, my problem went away instantly when I added a powered USB hub, and I hadn't even thought of that - was thinking it was drivers or MIDI cables or MIDI thru or routing or.. really anything but weak line drivers or low voltage ;-)

Anyway, it's all better now, thanks a million for sharing this