It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:25 am
   
Text Size

Mavericks and DP8.05 - little bugs, but growing bigger!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderators: James Steele, Shooshie

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.

Mavericks and DP8.05 - little bugs, but growing bigger!

Postby Shooshie » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:36 am

[EDIT: After a week with Mavericks, I'm less inclined to like it. Please see this post, later in this thread, if you are teetering on the brink of installation. There are some serious bugs that cause real problems for a lot of people, such as scrolling issues in all apps. Nothing to do with Magic Trackpad or JiTouch or Better Touch Tool; these are universal Mavericks issues, though they don't seem to affect all users equally. /EDIT]

I updated to Mavericks (OS X 10.9.1) on Christmas Eve. I was busy putting up the Christmas Tree, so I had time to let installers run, so it seemed like a good time to do it. When I began trying it out for the first time, I was discouraged. It seemed like everything I use did not work at first. But it turns out that there have been fixes for every problem. It just took patience, a little Googling, and some careful observation, trial and error. Now, nearly everything is working.

First, JiTouch would not work with my Magic Trackpad. I'm pretty heavily invested in JiTouch timewise and in my workflow, so I felt defeated when it would not run. Turned out, it was just a preference setting in the System Settings/Privacy/Accessibility. (not System Settings/Accessibility, as I was somehow led to believe)

Then there was the issue of turning off "App Naps" in Digital Performer, JBridge, QuicKeys, and a few other things.

Then I booted Digital Performer. First, Ivory wouldn't work. I updated it to the latest version, and it still didn't want to load. A restart of the computer fixed that.

Next, Vienna Pro wouldn't boot in my V-Racks. Not sure how that got fixed. I just kept rebooting DP (and maybe the computer once) until it finally did work, and it hasn't had a problem since. I had to force-quit DP many times while trying to load projects initially, but I'm happy to say that it's all working now. Again, I'm not sure what caused the initial instability. But as soon as I open a file, I now save it as something with a new name, forcing it to rewrite the file. Maybe that is helping with stability on repeat file openings.

Now it feels very stable. Things respond very well, and it feels like Mavericks is the beginning of a new era. Hard to say why it feels that way; maybe I've read the hype from Apple. But really, it does feel... snappier.

But there is one problem I haven't found the cure for: scrolling over faders. They act ambivalent about which direction they should go. If I scroll down over a fader, it first may try going up. Then it bounces around a little and then either goes up and gets stuck there (unless I click and drag it), or it changes direction and goes where I want it, albeit at a slower speed than I'm scrolling. Sometimes it goes the right direction first, and it behaves as it always has. Other times (unpredictable; probably the very next time) it will go the wrong way and after scrolling a few clicks it will change direction. Then there are the times it will go the wrong way, all the way to the end of the fader's throw, and just stay there no matter which way I scroll. That's when I have to drag or double-click it back to 0dB.

Has anyone else experienced this with scrolling over faders? If so, have you found any settings, anywhere, that fix this behavior? Any tricks?

Thanks,

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.9.5 Beta |l| DP 8.07 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro 2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Nomad Factory Vintage Plugins |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
User avatar
Shooshie
 
Posts: 17167
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: Dallas
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mavericks and DP8.05 - little bugs, but very pleased

Postby James Steele » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:11 am

Yipes, Shoosh! I hope you sort that out. I'll feel bad since you asked me how my Mavericks experience was going and I encouraged you to jump in. :(
JamesSteele.com | Dean Guitars | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter

MacPro4,1 Quad-Core 2.66, 24GB RAM, OS 10.10, ATI 5770, DP 8.07, MOTU HD192, 24I/O, UAD-2 Duo, Lucid GENx192, HV-3C, Red Type B, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
User avatar
James Steele
Site Administrator
 
Posts: 15177
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: San Diego, CA - U.S.A.
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mavericks and DP8.05 - little bugs, but very pleased

Postby waterstrum » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:44 am

Hi Shoosh,

In a fascinating coincidence, I also made the leap to 10.9.1 yesterday.
I've been sorting out various glitches.
So far, my versions of DP are working fine.
I haven't noticed the scrolling problem you mentioned.
My mouse scroll and magic trackpad are working fine with the DP faders.
Also, the control surfaces are connecting and working in DP7 and 8.

I agree with your assessment about Mavericks.
It is a big step forward.
It certainly fixed a number of my 10.8.5 problems.
Yes... snappier
All is well
User avatar
waterstrum
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:01 pm
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Mavericks and DP8.05 - little bugs, but very pleased

Postby Phil O » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:47 am

Shooshie wrote:Has anyone else experienced this with scrolling over faders? If so, have you found any settings, anywhere, that fix this behavior? Any tricks?

Thanks,

Shooshie
I'm using the basic Apple wired mouse (the one with the little roller ball) and haven't experienced what you've described. In System Preferences my scrolling speed is set to 1 notch below fastest. That's the only setting I can think of. :?

Phil
DP 8.06, Mac Pro 2.66 quad (6 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 2.8 octo, (12 Gig RAM), OS 10.6.8/10.9.4, two MOTU 828s, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-1e, UAD-2, a whole truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
User avatar
Phil O
 
Posts: 5401
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:01 pm
Location: Scituate, MA
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mavericks and DP8.05 - little bugs, but very pleased

Postby toodamnhip » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:15 am

Shooshie wrote:I updated to Mavericks (OS X 10.9.1) on Christmas Eve. I was busy putting up the Christmas Tree, so I had time to let installers run, so it seemed like a good time to do it. When I began trying it out for the first time, I was discouraged. It seemed like everything I use did not work at first. But it turns out that there have been fixes for every problem. It just took patience, a little Googling, and some careful observation, trial and error. Now, nearly everything is working.

First, JiTouch would not work with my Magic Trackpad. I'm pretty heavily invested in JiTouch timewise and in my workflow, so I felt defeated when it would not run. Turned out, it was just a preference setting in the System Settings/Privacy/Accessibility. (not System Settings/Accessibility, as I was somehow led to believe)

Then there was the issue of turning off "App Naps" in Digital Performer, JBridge, QuicKeys, and a few other things.

Then I booted Digital Performer. First, Ivory wouldn't work. I updated it to the latest version, and it still didn't want to load. A restart of the computer fixed that.

Next, Vienna Pro wouldn't boot in my V-Racks. Not sure how that got fixed. I just kept rebooting DP (and maybe the computer once) until it finally did work, and it hasn't had a problem since. I had to force-quit DP many times while trying to load projects initially, but I'm happy to say that it's all working now. Again, I'm not sure what caused the initial instability. But as soon as I open a file, I now save it as something with a new name, forcing it to rewrite the file. Maybe that is helping with stability on repeat file openings.

Now it feels very stable. Things respond very well, and it feels like Mavericks is the beginning of a new era. Hard to say why it feels that way; maybe I've read the hype from Apple. But really, it does feel... snappier.

But there is one problem I haven't found the cure for: scrolling over faders. They act ambivalent about which direction they should go. If I scroll down over a fader, it first may try going up. Then it bounces around a little and then either goes up and gets stuck there (unless I click and drag it), or it changes direction and goes where I want it, albeit at a slower speed than I'm scrolling. Sometimes it goes the right direction first, and it behaves as it always has. Other times (unpredictable; probably the very next time) it will go the wrong way and after scrolling a few clicks it will change direction. Then there are the times it will go the wrong way, all the way to the end of the fader's throw, and just stay there no matter which way I scroll. That's when I have to drag or double-click it back to 0dB.

Has anyone else experienced this with scrolling over faders? If so, have you found any settings, anywhere, that fix this behavior? Any tricks?

Thanks,

Shooshie

As a chicken shi......t, stuck back in 10.6.8, all that sounds scary to me. I know I will have to make a leap soon.....bawk...bawk....
2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon-24 Gig 1066 MHz DDR3 Mac
OS 10.6.8

DP 8.05, MTP AV, 828 mkII
LASS Strings 2.05, East West Pianos, East West Goliath, Spectrasonics Omnispere, Stylus RMX, Waves 9-Mercury+everything they make, Drum Core, NI Guitar Rig 2 and 3, Miroslav Philharmonik CE, Antares auto tune 7, entire Nomad Factory tube processor library, Peak Pro 6, Reason 3.05, Izotope Ozone 3-4-5, Trash 2 and Spectron, Ivory Piano, VI One, and Addictive Drums...Ocean way Drums, various other plugs
User avatar
toodamnhip
 
Posts: 3039
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:01 pm
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Mavericks and DP8.05 - little bugs, but very pleased

Postby mikehalloran » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:11 pm

At some point, during my OS 10.9.1 and DP 8.05 experience, my keyboard, mouse and trackpad preferences got messed up.

It was was when I realized that, since I was having the same minor issues in DP, Chrome and Word, it wasn't in any of my programs and went hunting for the cause.

Going through, opening, checking and re-saving put me back together. The one that was consistent was Key Repeat had slowed to a crawl - the setting looked ok so I changed it, reset it and saved.
July 2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad-core with OWC eSATA mod, 20G RAM, OS 10.10
828mkII FW; MIDI Timepiece MTP/AV USB with Intel Upgrade chip; DP 8.07 64bit, DP 7.24; IK, NI, Izotope, PSP & Antares plugs, MachFive 3.2.1
LogicPro X 10.0.7 Finale 2014c, Encore 5.0.7, DSP-Quatro 4.2.4, QuickTime Pro 7.6.6, SmartScore X2 10.5.5, Toast 12.0
Test machine: G4-1K Dual Processor: OS 10.4.11 / OS 9.2.2; DP 5.13; Encore 5.05 & 4.5.5; Toast 9.07b, other legacy apps
User avatar
mikehalloran
 
Posts: 4256
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:08 pm
Location: Sillie Con Valey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mavericks and DP8.05 - little bugs, but very pleased

Postby Dan Worley » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:14 pm

toodamnhip wrote:As a chicken shi......t, stuck back in 10.6.8, all that sounds scary to me. I know I will have to make a leap soon.....bawk...bawk....


I'm bawkin' and cluckin' right along with you in 10.6.8, which is rock solid for me.

But I did finally get a used Mac (5,1) so I can make the upgrades without any risk or lost time.
DP 8.06 • Mavericks 10.9.4 • 3.2Ghz Mac Pro (Quad) 5,1 • 18GB RAM • ATI HD5770
User avatar
Dan Worley
 
Posts: 2752
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: Northern CA
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mavericks and DP8.05 - little bugs, but very pleased

Postby MIDI Life Crisis » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:00 pm

Very smoooth from SL to ML and now Mvrks. No worms in these Apples.
_______________________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________
_____________________________MIDI Life Crisis______________________________
_______________________________________________________________________
_____________OS X.X.1 • DP 64 bit • 8 core MP/20GB RAM • Track 16_____________
User avatar
MIDI Life Crisis
 
Posts: 20690
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 10:01 pm
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mavericks and DP8.05 - little bugs, but very pleased

Postby Shooshie » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:03 pm

• In testing, I've found that the fader ambivalence only occurs with the Magic Trackpad, not the Magic Mouse. With the Magic Mouse, I can scroll one finger and the fader zips up and down as it is supposed to.

• JiTouch is not a part of the problem. I've turned it off completely, and it still happens.

• I've tried pretty much every setting on the Trackpad Preferences. No change.

I can't figure it. The Magic Trackpad has always worked perfectly on everything. There should be little difference between scrolling on it vs. the Magic Mouse, and yet there it is: the MM scrolls just fine in DP, while the MT hesitates, goes the wrong way, then finally goes the right way, but in no way possible to do it in time with events happening during music.

• "In DP" made me think: "does it happen elsewhere?" And yes, it does. Folders, windows, other places where a scroll should go smoothly, the Magic Trackpad is not scrolling smoothly. I guess this is an Apple problem, and will have to be fixed by them. There is one thing left for me to try: another trackpad. I do have an older one. I'll give it a try later and see if it does the same thing. If you guys aren't experiencing this, then maybe mine is just broken.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.9.5 Beta |l| DP 8.07 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro 2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Nomad Factory Vintage Plugins |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
User avatar
Shooshie
 
Posts: 17167
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: Dallas
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mavericks and DP8.05 - little bugs, but very pleased

Postby mikehalloran » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:29 pm

Have you tried turning Bluetooth off, then on and seeing if tries to pair with anything that you don't recognize? I had that issue with a build of OS 10.7. - it was my daughter's 3rd party mouse from another room that was causing the problem.
July 2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad-core with OWC eSATA mod, 20G RAM, OS 10.10
828mkII FW; MIDI Timepiece MTP/AV USB with Intel Upgrade chip; DP 8.07 64bit, DP 7.24; IK, NI, Izotope, PSP & Antares plugs, MachFive 3.2.1
LogicPro X 10.0.7 Finale 2014c, Encore 5.0.7, DSP-Quatro 4.2.4, QuickTime Pro 7.6.6, SmartScore X2 10.5.5, Toast 12.0
Test machine: G4-1K Dual Processor: OS 10.4.11 / OS 9.2.2; DP 5.13; Encore 5.05 & 4.5.5; Toast 9.07b, other legacy apps
User avatar
mikehalloran
 
Posts: 4256
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:08 pm
Location: Sillie Con Valey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mavericks and DP8.05 - little bugs, but very pleased

Postby Dan Worley » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:01 am

Shooshie wrote:"In DP" made me think: "does it happen elsewhere?" And yes, it does. Folders, windows, other places where a scroll should go smoothly, the Magic Trackpad is not scrolling smoothly. I guess this is an Apple problem, and will have to be fixed by them. There is one thing left for me to try: another trackpad. I do have an older one. I'll give it a try later and see if it does the same thing. If you guys aren't experiencing this, then maybe mine is just broken.


My first Magic Trackpad went bad in just this fashion, and Apple replaced it under warranty.

I like Mike's idea, though. I never would have thought of that.
DP 8.06 • Mavericks 10.9.4 • 3.2Ghz Mac Pro (Quad) 5,1 • 18GB RAM • ATI HD5770
User avatar
Dan Worley
 
Posts: 2752
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: Northern CA
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mavericks and DP8.05 - little bugs, but very pleased

Postby Shooshie » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:08 am

I've been learning more about Maverick bugs. One of the worst of them is related to the one(s) I pointed out in the first post in this thread: scrolling. It turns out that if you Google "Scrolling in Mavericks" you'll find hundreds of references to this being a major problem for a lot of people. It's not just DP oriented, of course, but everywhere. The Finder, Safari, iTunes, iPhoto, and everywhere. You find out just how much you depend on scrolling when it suddenly doesn't work anymore.

For this reason alone, I would recommend that anyone wait and NOT install Mavericks until this is fixed by Apple.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.9.5 Beta |l| DP 8.07 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro 2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Nomad Factory Vintage Plugins |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
User avatar
Shooshie
 
Posts: 17167
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: Dallas
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mavericks and DP8.05 - little bugs, but very pleased

Postby Shooshie » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:15 am

James Steele wrote:Yipes, Shoosh! I hope you sort that out. I'll feel bad since you asked me how my Mavericks experience was going and I encouraged you to jump in. :(


Don't worry, James. I pretty much had my mind made up to do it before we talked. These issues are just now coming out everywhere; who knew?

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.9.5 Beta |l| DP 8.07 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro 2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Nomad Factory Vintage Plugins |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
User avatar
Shooshie
 
Posts: 17167
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: Dallas
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mavericks and DP8.05 - little bugs, but very pleased

Postby MIDI Life Crisis » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:22 am

I'm not seeing scrolling issues in Mavericks. I Googled it and found several "fixes." I also wonder if it's more prominent on the Magic Trackpad than other pointing devices?

This is the first I'm hearing of it and I've been on that OS From day 1.

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I really like this release and do recommend it. No issues on my wife's laptop either (no mouse, just the built in trackpad).

Retrieving some gmail remains an issue, but that's fairly rare.
_______________________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________
_____________________________MIDI Life Crisis______________________________
_______________________________________________________________________
_____________OS X.X.1 • DP 64 bit • 8 core MP/20GB RAM • Track 16_____________
User avatar
MIDI Life Crisis
 
Posts: 20690
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 10:01 pm
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mavericks and DP8.05 - little bugs, but very pleased

Postby mikehalloran » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:24 am

Hmmmm .... No issues with scrolling on any of the 15 Macs I've updated so far. I'm updating two more tomorrow.
July 2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad-core with OWC eSATA mod, 20G RAM, OS 10.10
828mkII FW; MIDI Timepiece MTP/AV USB with Intel Upgrade chip; DP 8.07 64bit, DP 7.24; IK, NI, Izotope, PSP & Antares plugs, MachFive 3.2.1
LogicPro X 10.0.7 Finale 2014c, Encore 5.0.7, DSP-Quatro 4.2.4, QuickTime Pro 7.6.6, SmartScore X2 10.5.5, Toast 12.0
Test machine: G4-1K Dual Processor: OS 10.4.11 / OS 9.2.2; DP 5.13; Encore 5.05 & 4.5.5; Toast 9.07b, other legacy apps
User avatar
mikehalloran
 
Posts: 4256
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:08 pm
Location: Sillie Con Valey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Next

Return to Digital Performer [MacOS]: Troubleshooting/Criticism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest


Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 151 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:07 pm

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest

Login Form