UAD error messages in DP8

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
muscletn
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: UAD error messages in DP8

Post by muscletn »

muscletn wrote:
bolla wrote:
muscletn wrote:
Yes, of course, Bolla. The specs were at the very beginning of my posting. Here goes:
2010 MacPro 8-core 2.26 (4,1) I'm running Mountain Lion 10.8.5, DP 8.05, the Apollo Quad, Black Lion Micro Clock II, a UAD-2 Duo PCIe, and a UAD-2 Solo PCIe. 16 gigs ram. WAVES, Sound Toys, Kontakt 5, Mach Five 3, Spectrasonics, Ivory, drum VI's.
Well according to my tech response from UA these errors are apparently fixed for users with a 3,1 or a 4,1 by using a qualified FW800 card and not using the FW800 ports of the Macpro.
However....
I'm having some success (so far) using the front panel FW800 port.
This is against tech support advice.
It's also Halloween so there may be other forces at work....

Cheers, Adrian
Yes, I'm sure there are other forces at work!
Like many others who are currently experiencing these problems, my system was absolutely solid with Snow Leopard 10.6.8, DP 7.24, and a UAD OS of the "6" series. I may have seen the occasional "Plugins Disabled" message but that was often bogus. Very soon after I upgraded OSX, DP, and UAD was when things got shaky.
I haven't lost confidence in UA's ability to solve this. I was assured that it is a top priority for them. They've got their hands full at the moment. ProTools AAX is still not quite ready. And oh yes, there is new thing called Mavericks they need to address properly.

Adrian, are you saying that since you switched to the front panel Firewire port you haven't had any error messages? Are you using 7.30b?
bolla

Post by bolla »

muscletn wrote: Adrian, are you saying that since you switched to the front panel Firewire port you haven't had any error messages? Are you using 7.30b?
No errors so far........but it's only been a short while.
I'm using UA 7.01
I reverted to this and also set up a new user account on the mac.
This meant all the plugs were rescanned and all the prefs for DP had to be redone.
Caveat. I hope but don't necessarily think this has solved the problem.
Too early to tell but I will of course update.

I thought of trying the front panel 800 port because (as usual) I didn't read that part of the manual when installing the quad that said "use the rear port"
So initially it was plugged into the front slot - and no problems...but that was many revisions and updates and plugins ago.....
It probably makes bugger all difference and tomorrow all hell will break loose again and I will be sending off for a Sonnet Allegro.
Cheers, Adrian

(or I will be running down the street - naked with my hands in the air yelling YES!! YES!!
And the neighbours will be yelling NO!! NO!!.....again)
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
muscletn

Post by muscletn »

I thought of trying the front panel 800 port because (as usual) I didn't read that part of the manual when installing the quad that said "use the rear port"
So initially it was plugged into the front slot - and no problems...but that was many revisions and updates and plugins ago.....
It probably makes bugger all difference and tomorrow all hell will break loose again and I will be sending off for a Sonnet Allegro.
Cheers, Adrian

(or I will be running down the street - naked with my hands in the air yelling YES!! YES!!
And the neighbours will be yelling NO!! NO!!.....again)[/quote]

Adrian, I took the "plunge" and am now using out the front FW panel with the Apollo. I can't imagine why this would make a difference, but as I'm about to start a mix, I could use some error message relief.
Did I say that I would also be facing east, standing on one leg?
I'll report back the findings.

On a more technical note, I haven't read on any of the forums that the Sonnet Allegro PCIe makes the UAD firewire devices any happier campers than they already are. Did UA tech support suggest this to you?
bolla

Post by bolla »

muscletn wrote: On a more technical note, I haven't read on any of the forums that the Sonnet Allegro PCIe makes the UAD firewire devices any happier campers than they already are. Did UA tech support suggest this to you?
Yes they did.
Yet on their site they say that both the 3,1 and 4,1 macs have been tested (presumably with the inbuilt 800 ports).

Half way down this page they get to the mac specs.
http://www.uaudio.com/support/uad/satel ... patibility

Cheers, Adrian
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
muscletn

Post by muscletn »

bolla wrote:
muscletn wrote: On a more technical note, I haven't read on any of the forums that the Sonnet Allegro PCIe makes the UAD firewire devices any happier campers than they already are. Did UA tech support suggest this to you?
Yes they did.
Yet on their site they say that both the 3,1 and 4,1 macs have been tested (presumably with the inbuilt 800 ports).

Half way down this page they get to the mac specs.
http://www.uaudio.com/support/uad/satel ... patibility

Cheers, Adrian
Update: Recorded, edited, and some preliminary mixing, all with the FW cable plugged into the front panel. Error messages: none
I know that it may be premature to celebrate, but it was a huge relief for these past 6 hours not having to deal with the varmints.
Thanks for the recommendation!
More to come, I'm sure.
bolla

Post by bolla »

muscletn wrote:
Update: Recorded, edited, and some preliminary mixing, all with the FW cable plugged into the front panel. Error messages: none
I know that it may be premature to celebrate, but it was a huge relief for these past 6 hours not having to deal with the varmints.
Thanks for the recommendation!
More to come, I'm sure.
Well I had a good day as well.
I was working on a new track and didn't have any problems.
As much as I would like to think it is due to moving the cable and a few other minor tweaks it didn't seem right to me.

So I decided to go back and to see how one of my problem tracks would go.
Within 20 bars....error -98.

This track doesn't have masses of plugs...
Three instances of UA Lex 224. 3 of Motu proverb. A few UA Pultecs and several MOTU delays. Melda Loudness on the mixbuss and one instance of Elysia Niveau Filter. However on each channel (46 stereo tracks) there is an instance of Slate's Virtual Channel.
Sidenote:
(In my analogue mixing days I would have walked if someone had expected me to mix something with 46 stereo tracks...)

I duplicated the mix several times each time dropping a manufacturer until I ended up with a no plugins version.
With no plugins at all the "problem" track ran on a loop for over two hours without an error.
I switched back to the full plugin version.
Crashed again within 20 bars.....
I tried a mix using just Motu and UA plugs.
No problem. Looped without failure for about three hours.

The mix version that fails has Slate's channel plugin on all tracks.
I need to test with a version that just has slate but my day here is finished. More to come.

Could just be a throughput problem and a new FW800 card may do the trick.

AB
muscletn

UAD error messages in DP8

Post by muscletn »

bolla wrote:Well I had a good day as well.
I was working on a new track and didn't have any problems.
As much as I would like to think it is due to moving the cable and a few other minor tweaks it didn't seem right to me.

So I decided to go back and to see how one of my problem tracks would go.
Within 20 bars....error -98.

This track doesn't have masses of plugs...
Three instances of UA Lex 224. 3 of Motu proverb. A few UA Pultecs and several MOTU delays. Melda Loudness on the mixbuss and one instance of Elysia Niveau Filter. However on each channel (46 stereo tracks) there is an instance of Slate's Virtual Channel.
Sidenote:
(In my analogue mixing days I would have walked if someone had expected me to mix something with 46 stereo tracks...)

I duplicated the mix several times each time dropping a manufacturer until I ended up with a no plugins version.
With no plugins at all the "problem" track ran on a loop for over two hours without an error.
I switched back to the full plugin version.
Crashed again within 20 bars.....
I tried a mix using just Motu and UA plugs.
No problem. Looped without failure for about three hours.

The mix version that fails has Slate's channel plugin on all tracks.
I need to test with a version that just has slate but my day here is finished. More to come.

Could just be a throughput problem and a new FW800 card may do the trick.

AB

And the front panel FW insert verdict is----drum roll, Error -38. Three or four times in an hour. I was doing some destructive edits, putting some Sound Toys plugs on a guitar track, and later using the MOTU Reverse plug, and kaboom.
The session doesn't have much in the way of UA plugs, some LA-3's, EMT 140, some of those amazing new LA-2's, and the rest are Sound Toys, and some WAVES Kramer Tape.
I really don't believe the problem has anything to do with the number or type of plugs. All signs point to the UA OS and the interaction with Firewire.
Now, if you get the Sonnet card and everything clears up, we're dealing with a different kettle of fish.
Thanks for staying on this with me, Adrian.
Ira
muscletn

Post by muscletn »

Here's the latest from UA:
"we have reports of some end users having resolved the issue by performing one of the following actions:

Creating a new user account on the Mac and installing the UAD software / recording software on this account

Updating JAVA version

Completely removing any Ethernet devices/drivers from computer.

Reinstalled the OS from scratch

While some end users reported success with some (or all) of the steps listed, some reported the issue remained. We are still gathering information currently and are working hard to determine the exact cause of the issue. Unfortunately, I do not have a resolution at the moment but will update this email when I hear back from our QA department."

I've disconnected my Ethernet connection, and installed Java 7. The last 3+ hours have been error-free. Sound familiar? So far, so good, but then...
Still holding my breath.

I've also noted to UA that, for me, in all instances of error messages appearing, the Apollo never loses audio. Only the plugins are disabled.
Same true for everyone else?
bolla

Post by bolla »

7.4 update released.
addresses -38 errors according to UAD.

Cheers, Bolla
muscletn

Post by muscletn »

bolla wrote:7.4 update released.
addresses -38 errors according to UAD.

Cheers, Bolla
Yes, I installed it last night and am about to begin a work session.
Fingers crossed!
muscletn

Post by muscletn »

After the first day of perfect performance, the -38's came back again on the second day.
They appeared during Bounce To Disk operations. I power cycled the Apollo, and/or did a complete power down/up of the Mac as well. As in the past, the system allowed me to work for only a while until I needed to repeat the procedure.
I'll do an uninstall/re-install of 7.4 software, repair permissions (which I did after I initially installed 7.4), run Disk Warrior on my startup disk, and then try again for smooth sailing.
If the problems persist, I'll again disconnect the Ethernet cable, and THEN hope for smooth sailing.
I've already notified UA.
Ugggggghh!!!
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

I downgraded to 7.0.1, and never had any more error -38 messages. Then I upgraded to 7.4, and had a couple error -38 messages on one project, but none on other projects these couple of days (I've been mixing 6 songs that are very plugin intensive). Had one error -98 message once.

So the problem is still lurking, even though a fix was announced. But I'm loving those new Fairchild compressors...and my Brainworx tuner... but it's back to 7.0.1 for now
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
muscletn

Post by muscletn »

jlaudon wrote:I downgraded to 7.0.1, and never had any more error -38 messages. Then I upgraded to 7.4, and had a couple error -38 messages on one project, but none on other projects these couple of days (I've been mixing 6 songs that are very plugin intensive). Had one error -98 message once.

So the problem is still lurking, even though a fix was announced. But I'm loving those new Fairchild compressors...and my Brainworx tuner... but it's back to 7.0.1 for now
I tried going back to 7.0.1 but when I did my Firewire went down to 400. Not acceptable!
I really believe that we (especially DP users) need to stay on UA in order to get this corrected.
UA did tell me that a Logic bounce to disk issue has also been noted. Something about "audio tails," of which I know nothing.
Ben Franklin had it right when he said that we either hang together or we hang separately.
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

Yes, I agree - the first thing I did was send off another (of many) emails to Miles at UA support letting him know.
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
bolla

Post by bolla »

This has worked for me.
I created a new user account.
I sacrificed at least 10 quality Ales to be sure the planets were in alignment (or at least vaguely in focus.....)
Upgraded to 10.8.5
This included the latest Java update. Just saying........
Updated to the latest UA.

So far zero problems. This includes a project that was crashing UA with -38 and -98. If I go back to the previous user account this project will always crash but in the new one it is stable.

Cheers, Bolla