UAD error messages in DP8

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
bolla
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: UAD error messages in DP8

Post by bolla »

jlaudon wrote:I think it's only Apollo users.
Happening here with a quad satellite....
Cheers, AB
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
muscletn

Post by muscletn »

James Steele wrote:
jlaudon wrote:I think it's only Apollo users.
Thanks. Sorry if I was too lazy to go back and read it. I *wish* perhaps I was an Apollo user. That's a great interface consider how "future proof" it is with TB connectivity.

I didn't think to ask if the error messages were affecting UAD-2 systems without the Apollo or Satellite. My guess is that the problems are limited to Apollo and Satellite.
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

Ah yes, I also have a satellite DUO, so it must be a Firewire bus related problem. Never happened with my UAD cards.
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Ahh okay. I have a UAD-2 Duo card. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bolla

Post by bolla »

I tried going back to using UA version 7.01 but still the same issues.
-38 or just for a bit of variety -98.
Cheers, AB
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
muscletn

Post by muscletn »

bolla wrote:I tried going back to using UA version 7.01 but still the same issues.
Cheers, AB
At the UA website, try downloading 7.30b. It's not listed as such, but when you download the latest OS this is what you'll get. I've worked around three hours now and have had only 1 Error -38. This is much better than things were a few days ago.
Are your error messages also stemming from completely random DP actions?
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

James Steele wrote:Does this affect Snow Leopard users? I haven't tested it extensively, but I'm using 7.3.0 version and not having any problems.
It's work fine under Snow Leopard with D.P.8 in 7.3.0. version Universal Audio system: I think that's for the other systems used (Lion, Mountain LION & perhaps Mavericks) _
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
muscletn

Post by muscletn »

corbo-billy wrote:
James Steele wrote:Does this affect Snow Leopard users? I haven't tested it extensively, but I'm using 7.3.0 version and not having any problems.
It's work fine under Snow Leopard with D.P.8 in 7.3.0. version Universal Audio system: I think that's for the other systems used (Lion, Mountain LION & perhaps Mavericks) _
Again, it appears that the error messages are affecting UAD Firewire devices only. BTW, I don't think that Thunderbolt users are affected either, but I'm not completely certain.
bolla

Post by bolla »

muscletn wrote:
bolla wrote:I tried going back to using UA version 7.01 but still the same issues.
Cheers, AB
At the UA website, try downloading 7.30b. It's not listed as such, but when you download the latest OS this is what you'll get. I've worked around three hours now and have had only 1 Error -38. This is much better than things were a few days ago.
Yes seemingly..............

I might give 7.30b a go.

The track I was working on was with (DP8.05/UA7.30)
When I started editing/mixing this track I had no problems. However it got to the stage when I couldn't play more than 8 bars and I would get a -38 or -98 message. I'd love to pin point a particular plugin or routine but I can't identify a pattern/plugin or cause.

I uninstalled UA 7.30 and went back to 7.01
I blew away UA 7.3 using the uninstall recommended on the UA site.
Same errors still kept occurring however. -38 -98 etc.
Using either 32 or 64 bit.

I've now set up a new user account and because of this had to redo a bunch of preferences.
I've moved onto another track and so far no problems.
More to come on this I expect ..........

AB
muscletn

Post by muscletn »

Are your error messages also stemming from completely random DP actions?[/quote]
Yes seemingly..............

I might give 7.30b a go.

The track I was working on was with (DP8.05/UA7.30)
When I started editing/mixing this track I had no problems. However it got to the stage when I couldn't play more than 8 bars and I would get a -38 or -98 message. I'd love to pin point a particular plugin or routine but I can't identify a pattern/plugin or cause.

I uninstalled UA 7.30 and went back to 7.01
I blew away UA 7.3 using the uninstall recommended on the UA site.
Same errors still kept occurring however. -38 -98 etc.
Using either 32 or 64 bit.

I've now set up a new user account and because of this had to redo a bunch of preferences.
I've moved onto another track and so far no problems.
More to come on this I expect ..........

Good luck with 7.30b. Please let us know how things fare! For what it's worth, Dan Becker at UA as well as the other techs over there are very insistent that since the "7" series of OS's, the Apollo be turned on before the Mac. Prior to the 7 series it didn't seem to matter. Maybe the same is true of the Satellite? Give it a try.
muscletn

Post by muscletn »

muscletn wrote:
Cheers, AB
Update from the trenches: I just finished a vocal session. Five tracks, many punch ins and edits on the spot. I was in Multi-Record mode in DP, so that I was able to use MIDI-triggered tones from Polysynth to help the singer with notes.
Everything was going smoothly, until I needed to lower the volume of the Polysynth on the DP Mixing Console. Boom! Error -38, and the UA plugs are gone. Prior to this, I had been mixing another project for 5-6 hours without a hitch.
The "randomness" of what could be causing the errors continues.
bolla

Post by bolla »

Hey Muscletn,

Could you add some system specs to your signature?
I'm on an older 3,1 2008 2 X 2.8 quad.
Apparently, according to UA, users with older macs like mine have solved this by using one of their qualified FW800 cards. Sonnet and SIIG.

Before I go down that route I'm going to try a few other options.
Cheers, AB
muscletn

Post by muscletn »

bolla wrote:Hey Muscletn,

Could you add some system specs to your signature?
I'm on an older 3,1 2008 2 X 2.8 quad.
Apparently, according to UA, users with older macs like mine have solved this by using one of their qualified FW800 cards. Sonnet and SIIG.

Before I go down that route I'm going to try a few other options.
Cheers, AB
Yes, of course, Bolla. The specs were at the very beginning of my posting. Here goes:
2010 MacPro 8-core 2.26 (4,1) I'm running Mountain Lion 10.8.5, DP 8.05, the Apollo Quad, Black Lion Micro Clock II, a UAD-2 Duo PCIe, and a UAD-2 Solo PCIe. 16 gigs ram. WAVES, Sound Toys, Kontakt 5, Mach Five 3, Spectrasonics, Ivory, drum VI's.
bolla

Post by bolla »

muscletn wrote:
Yes, of course, Bolla. The specs were at the very beginning of my posting. Here goes:
2010 MacPro 8-core 2.26 (4,1) I'm running Mountain Lion 10.8.5, DP 8.05, the Apollo Quad, Black Lion Micro Clock II, a UAD-2 Duo PCIe, and a UAD-2 Solo PCIe. 16 gigs ram. WAVES, Sound Toys, Kontakt 5, Mach Five 3, Spectrasonics, Ivory, drum VI's.
Well according to my tech response from UA these errors are apparently fixed for users with a 3,1 or a 4,1 by using a qualified FW800 card and not using the FW800 ports of the Macpro.
However....
I'm having some success (so far) using the front panel FW800 port.
This is against tech support advice.
It's also Halloween so there may be other forces at work....

Cheers, Adrian
muscletn

Post by muscletn »

bolla wrote:
muscletn wrote:
Well according to my tech response from UA these errors are apparently fixed for users with a 3,1 or a 4,1 by using a qualified FW800 card and not using the FW800 ports of the Macpro.
However....
I'm having some success (so far) using the front panel FW800 port.
This is against tech support advice.
It's also Halloween so there may be other forces at work....

Cheers, Adrian
Yes, I'm sure there are other forces at work!
Like many others who are currently experiencing these problems, my system was absolutely solid with Snow Leopard 10.6.8, DP 7.24, and a UAD OS of the "6" series. I may have seen the occasional "Plugins Disabled" message but that was often bogus. Very soon after I upgraded OSX, DP, and UAD was when things got shaky.
I haven't lost confidence in UA's ability to solve this. I was assured that it is a top priority for them. They've got their hands full at the moment. ProTools AAX is still not quite ready. And oh yes, there is new thing called Mavericks they need to address properly.