UAD error messages in DP8

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
muscletn
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by muscletn »

I've been having a rash of UAD error messages of late. Here are the details:
On my 2010 MacPro 8-core (4,1) I'm running Mountain Lion 10.8.5, DP 8.05, the Apollo Quad, a UAD-2 Duo PCIe, and a UAD-2 Solo PCIe. 16 gigs ram.
The error messages didn't start immediately upon my moving up to ML and DP8. In fact every once and while I saw them in DP 7.24 and Snow Leopard.

The error messages are usually Error-38, sometimes Error-51, sometimes 109, and last night for the first time, Error -51.

I've had quite a bit of back and forth with Dan Becker at UA, who's been absolutely great. We've done firmware updates, Firewire adjustments, DP buffer settings tweaks etc. But because UA doesn't test DP, I'm finding that I'm driving on a dark road with no lights. Magic Dave said that there were some known issues with UAD and DP, but my specific issues were new to him.

The workaround I've found is to power cycle the Apollo and/or restart DP or the computer. Once I do, the error messages subside, and all is well, for a while, sometimes days. The messages had come primarily when I bounce to disk, but last night I was just highlighting some MIDI notes in an Addictive Drum track, and good 'ole Error-38 popped up. No audio was being processed.

From what I've read on this and other forums, these error messages seem to happen on DAWs of all stripes. Being somewhat selfish, I'd really appreciate feedback from anyone who's found a fix.
jlaudon

Re: UAD error messages in DP8

Post by jlaudon »

I have the same frustrating problem - I thought I'd upgrade to 10.9, UAD 7.3, and DP 8.05. Everything worked fine, no crashes or known incompatibilities, but this morning I got the good ole error 38 message again... grrrr

(non apollo users, FYI, this is a message that tells us that the UAD plugins are disabled, even though the interface continues to do the audio part - then we turn off the unit, turn it on again, and wait for the project to reload again, which is a pain when it's a big mixing project. This also happens on small projects, sometimes with no UAD plugins on either). I've tried taking out all PCIe cards and external disks, etc, but this problem keeps happening, even tried a new hard disk and OS install, no dice...
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

Yeah another UA user here and same issue. UA is all to well aware of this issue and sadly haven't come out with a fix for it yet. I have an Apollo & Satellite and can only use about 50 to 55% of the combined power…which completely makes me growl like a ninja.

I've heard some that toss preferences of the DAW and it helps but I haven't had any luck with that. So…patiently I wait for UA to fix it.

Stay strong brother, I feel your pain!
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Is it possible to downgrade UAD drivers? I've saved many of the old installers: 7.20, 7.10, 7.01, 7.00, 6.52. I don't know if UA would be mad at me for sending them to people who need them.

I'm using 7.30 and having no issues, but I'm on SL.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
muscletn

Post by muscletn »

James Steele wrote:Is it possible to downgrade UAD drivers? I've saved many of the old installers: 7.20, 7.10, 7.01, 7.00, 6.52. I don't know if UA would be mad at me for sending them to people who need them.

I'm using 7.30 and having no issues, but I'm on SL.
Yes, you can use earlier UAD installers. In fact, I tried going back to 7.20 as a workaround. However, in my case, my Apollo went from Firewire 800 to 400. The 800 setting was greyed out. This isn't acceptable!

Thanks to all for weighing in on this. UA is well aware that there are a number of DP/UA users, many of whom are high profile composers and producers. Because of their testing limitations, DP is out of their immediate picture. But I think if we stay on them, we'll raise the MOTU profile, and thus have a chance for these issues to be resolved.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

muscletn wrote:Because of their testing limitations, DP is out of their immediate picture.
What does that mean? Do they not have a copy of DP provided to them to test on, or they just don't bother to test on DP?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

It seems it's not only a DP/Apollo problem from what I've been reading on the forums.

I've downgraded to 7.0.1 (UA suggestion). For older drivers, they have all of them on their site for download.
muscletn

Post by muscletn »

James Steele wrote:
muscletn wrote:Because of their testing limitations, DP is out of their immediate picture.
What does that mean? Do they not have a copy of DP provided to them to test on, or they just don't bother to test on DP?
What I was told by Dan Becker at UA is that they test only ProTools, Logic, Steinberg (for the PC folks), and Ableton. DP is not tested because, to quote him, "the numbers are just not there." Every tech that I've dealt with at UA has professed almost total ignorance of DP, even as they acknowledge top-notch professionals being among their customer base.
I'm guessing that because of Audio Units, we're able to be a part of UA world in DP.

Apparently, there is a very "DP-friendly" guy high up in the tech ranks over there. My case was directed to him.

I really do think that the DP/UA users among us need to make our voices heard at UA. What we lack in numbers we can make up by taking an activist stance. Email or call when issues arise, and let them know that maybe we're not such a small group after all. Kinda like life, eh?!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

muscletn wrote:
James Steele wrote:
What I was told by Dan Becker at UA is that they test only ProTools, Logic, Steinberg (for the PC folks), and Ableton. DP is not tested because, to quote him, "the numbers are just not there." Every tech that I've dealt with at UA has professed almost total ignorance of DP, even as they acknowledge top-notch professionals being among their customer base.
I'm guessing that because of Audio Units, we're able to be a part of UA world in DP.

Apparently, there is a very "DP-friendly" guy high up in the tech ranks over there. My case was directed to him.

I really do think that the DP/UA users among us need to make our voices heard at UA. What we lack in numbers we can make up by taking an activist stance. Email or call when issues arise, and let them know that maybe we're not such a small group after all. Kinda like life, eh?!
Good idea. I think perhaps I'll spread the word over at NAMM and make sure we stop by UA and let them know we exist and that we'd appreciate them testing on our platform. I think the "numbers" might be more than they suspect.

muscletn

Post by muscletn »

James Steele wrote:Good idea. I think perhaps I'll spread the word over at NAMM and make sure we stop by UA and let them know we exist and that we'd appreciate them testing on our platform. I think the "numbers" might be more than they suspect.
Here's some news: UA tech support is aware that the error message problem is affecting all DAW's. They have some 40 documented cases, mine being one of them. They are making it a priority to resolve this as quickly as possible. Today UA released a 7.30b OS. I've installed it, opened a DP 8.05 file, and everything played perfectly. The error messages don't seem to pop up until after a bit of time, so it's too soon to say if this new update addressed the issues. Stay tuned!
bolla

Post by bolla »

mainly -98 error here and -39.
I have a tech report open with UA.
The weird thing is the inconsistency.
Yesterday editing a track into submission - no problems at all.
Today, same track and I've spent more time rebooting than mixing. :banghead:
Cheers, AB
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

I downgraded to UAD 7.01 as UA support suggested, and was able to mix a song yesterday with no error messages... bummer is I like some of the plugins in 7.3.... :?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Does this affect Snow Leopard users? I haven't tested it extensively, but I'm using 7.3.0 version and not having any problems.

jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

I think it's only Apollo users.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

jlaudon wrote:I think it's only Apollo users.
Thanks. Sorry if I was too lazy to go back and read it. I *wish* perhaps I was an Apollo user. That's a great interface consider how "future proof" it is with TB connectivity.