DP crashes when finding beats!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Tesionman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP crashes when finding beats!

Post by Tesionman »

Hey ya'll!

75-80% of the time DP crashes(quits unexpectedly) when finding beats in selection in the Waveform editor.
This has been happening to me since version 7(I'm on 8.04) and in different computers.
Happened often on my old Macbook( OSX 10.6.8 ) and also with my new Macbook Pro(OSX 10.8.3). I'm running DP at 32bits.

Does this happen to you guys? Or is there any way to fix it?

I'd have the Beat Analysis always on but it slows down DP. I prefer to find beats manually only when I need to on certain tracks.

Cheers
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
Maxx

Re: DP crashes when finding beats!

Post by Maxx »

Yes, it's happened to me, lots. (DP 7.24)

I found a solution to stop crashes - but it takes a while - you guessed it:
Choose, Find beats in ALL soundbites Option in the waveform editor. It takes a while. The computer heats up like crazy while finding beats - so I put a fan on it as it takes hours to process.

For me, it's better to enable find beats asap in DP preferences.
It's easier in the long run and DP pauses Find beats while recording and resumes when it's done.

No crashes. Hope that helps.

Tesionman wrote:Hey ya'll!

75-80% of the time DP crashes(quits unexpectedly) when finding beats in selection in the Waveform editor.
This has been happening to me since version 7(I'm on 8.04) and in different computers.
Happened often on my old Macbook( OSX 10.6.8 ) and also with my new Macbook Pro(OSX 10.8.3). I'm running DP at 32bits.

Does this happen to you guys? Or is there any way to fix it?

I'd have the Beat Analysis always on but it slows down DP. I prefer to find beats manually only when I need to on certain tracks.

Cheers
M
a
x

OSX 10.7.5 / 2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / Motu 8 pre / DP 7.24
Maxx

Post by Maxx »

just to clarify, DP crashes on me (for some reason) when finding beats on select soundbites
DP doesn't crash when choosing find ALL beats in all soundbites.
M
a
x

OSX 10.7.5 / 2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / Motu 8 pre / DP 7.24
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

Maxx wrote:just to clarify, DP crashes on me (for some reason) when finding beats on select soundbites
DP doesn't crash when choosing find ALL beats in all soundbites.
Not that it helps much, but I have the same thing here, never managed to figure out why.

I'll watch this post with interest, thanks for flagging it

Cheers

Sean
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

Hi there

Such a great list this....thanks always

I was inspired by the "How does DP do this thread" and the videos in there which I'd never seen... really great

I haven't used Find Beats for quite a while but have certainly used it many times over the years without problem

I decided to tighten up a 14 track jam session after seeing the great results shown in the video

So I temp grouped the relevant section and edited all the tracks to to be exactly the same in terms of their start times and durations

I then selected the Kick Drum track and went to the Waveform Editor... set Soundbite to selection, then Beats>Find Beats in Selection

The progress bar starts up and appears to be doing its job but just as it finishes processing the selected soundbite DP crashes.

I tried this on other soundbites in the song I'm trying to analyse....same result. i switched from DP 9.02 to 9.12 just in case that made a difference...unfortunately it doesn't.

So after searching Motunation here this thread is where I'm at.... it seems the answer, as of 3 or 4 years ago, is to analyse the entire project!

This project happens to be over 60 GB of material!....hours and hours of multi-track jams sessions... I have started the bulk analysis as recommended but, as you can imagine, progress is glacial. Background processing is churning away and after about 12 hours of high intensity CPU work I estimate I am not even 10% of the way through this!! ) :

Obviously this is an untenable state of affairs.... is this a bug...or am I missing something? I followed the directions in the DP User manual precisely I believe

As this thread never got happily resolved I'm wondering if this is a very old bug....and if so why it hasn't been addressed. Short of leaving Analyse Beats on all the time in Preferences can Find Beats be implemented manually and occasionally as needed? ...

I know I could load the relevant bits into a new project but that is a workaround I would hope isn't necessary

Surely there's a better way?

There doesn't seem to be much clamour about it here so my experience at the moment would seem to be unusual....but not unique..... I hope I've missed the answer somewhere

Thanks for your help
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.3, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards, Softube Console 1 MkII & Fader Control
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

Hmmm

I might have been a bit hasty there....it seems to be working fine now.....not sure....perhaps the restart sorted it

Will see how it goes ...but seems to be user error here....

Thanks
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.3, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards, Softube Console 1 MkII & Fader Control
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

It's back. I am crashing consistently in DP 9.52 when selecting Find Beats in Selection in the waveform editor. Sent crash report to MOTU.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stringtheory

Post by stringtheory »

ugh it's happening over and over again here today...sending lots of crash reports!
27" iMac 4.0GHz (late 2015), 32G RAM, OSX 10.13.6, DP10.01, UAD Apollo Duo TB, MTPAV USB (also 2021 14" MBP M1 Pro, 32G RAM, Apollo Twin Duo TB)