Hesitation after count-in...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Hesitation after count-in...

Post by Gravity Jim »

I haven't experienced this until today, so i think it's probably just this file, and I seem to remember having this problem once before but it's bee so long I can't recall the fix.

Tiny advertising project (an audio signature thing), only one instance of Kontakt and some synth vibes from an external synth (JV1080), two track in total. When I set a two bar count-in and press record, the count-in begins immediately and then, when it gets to the first beat of recording, it hesitates for a split second, and then records normally. Just a little stutter between the count-in and the actual recording.

Any guesses? Like I say, I don't think it's DP in general or I would have noticed before this... it must be something about this file, or a haywire Pref or something.....
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
stubbsonic

Re: Hesitation after count-in...

Post by stubbsonic »

My recollection of this is that if the external MIDI tracks have program changes, volume, pans, etc. on beat 1, it will cause a little delay. My workaround was to remove all that stuff on beat one from the event list (and use default patch to call the program).

If you need any of that controller stuff, you could move the start to m3 and treat m's 1 & 2 as count-off (for example).

There might be other settings that might be causing some buffering to happen. But I don't know.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

There aren't any MIDI commandson the first beat, no program changes or controller data.

This is a puzzle.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If your composition begins at bar 1, you might try shifting the tracks a few bars later...
frankf

Post by frankf »

Jim,
2 guesses:
-turn off pre-rendering on the VIs
-to preserve bar 1, use Modify Conductor Track>Insert Measures to insert 1or2 bars (bar 0 and bar -1), turn of count off, but leave click on for recording. Start at bar -1 for 2 bar count-off
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Well, that's what I'm doing as a work-around.

Frank, I thought of the pre-gen vs. real time thing, too, and changed that pref, but it didn't fix the problem.
Jim Bordner

crduval

Post by crduval »

I'm not sure this has anything to do with lots of program changes. It could have something to do with routing the countoff to an external MIDI device, which is what I do all the time (and I have experienced this problem since version 2,x).

I just make sure to start any track at measure 2 and countoff from the beginning so I have a measure after the hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
frankf

Post by frankf »

Gravity Jim wrote:
Frank, I thought of the pre-gen vs. real time thing, too, and changed that pref, but it didn't fix the problem.
Bad guess, then :(
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

No, it's a good guess! I made the same guess myself.

Hmmm.... I AM routing the click to a external module. In fact, I always do, and haven't experienced this in a long, long time.... But that doesn't mean that's not it. I'll try using the audio click in the morning and see.
Jim Bordner

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I get this as well. I've been off DP for quite a while now but my (printed Finale) score premiered earlier this week and I'll be playing with DP a lot next week and this is high on my to do list of things to check out. Also lots of new plugs to learn about (thanks KG Drum and Rgal) as well as putting DP and ML.4 thru their paces in anticipation of the upcoming projects.

There was something that stopped this but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was. i was getting the hesitation in a new project with no VIs and no movies. I just hope I am correct in thinking I fixed it somehow. Fact it, I generally add two seconds to the top of every sequence and section anyway as I am more used to the 2-pop time than measure countoff. Still, it should work.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
crduval

Post by crduval »

Just to define the problem i experience more clearly, it is always the first beat of the first measure following a two measure count-off that is delayed.

I use a Roland R8M drum module as my click.

I've never thought to see if the internal audio click also lags! :D Seems obvious now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Have you tried starting it from Pause? I don't guess you'd get a count-off, but as far as I know, it still starts instantly from Paused Play.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I never start a project at Bar 1
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Me either. I've just always started projects at bar -1 to give me 2 empty bars at the beginning.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Turns out that just this one project file is doing it. And there's almost nothing in the thing... One instrument track (Kontakt), two MIDI tracks to external synths, one vocal track. Much more complicated files work just fine. Hmmmm.

I'm just curious as to why,so I'll see if I can track it down with MOTU's help. As for why I often start projects at bar one... it makes keeping track of real time easy, without having to screw around with start times or do math in my head. When I'm producing stuff that has to fade out at 00:00:29:15, it's just easier to start at the first beat.
Jim Bordner