Freezing Audio tracks seems a very slow process...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Freezing Audio tracks seems a very slow process...

Post by FMiguelez »

You are almost there, Zandurian!

I should've given you this link earlier... I just remembered about it.

I'm pretty sure you will like it a lot. Check it out :)
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 4&p=423536
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

FMiguelez wrote:You are almost there, Zandurian!

I should've given you this link earlier... I just remembered about it.

I'm pretty sure you will like it a lot. Check it out :)
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 4&p=423536
Yep - I like a lot! :dance:
FMiguelez wrote:
How could I not know about this until now?!!? :roll:
Because you didn't have you to tell you then as I have you to tell me now. :smash:
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

Richard Feynman wrote:“In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth.”
Great quote BTW! Didn't know he was a member till now! :shock: :shock:
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

zandurian wrote:
Richard Feynman wrote:“In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth.”
Great quote BTW! Didn't know he was a member till now! :shock: :shock:
Funny thing: Feynman said that with such certainty that it is not surrounded by uncertainty, and therefore cannot be the truth. And if it's not the truth, then he's lying, which means that what is surrounded by uncertainty can't be true, or to look at it from the other side: that which is said with certainty must be true. So that means Feynman is telling the truth, which means he's lying, which means he's telling the truth, which means…

WHEW! Don't ever trust that guy Feynman! Even when he's telling the truth, he's lying!
:rofl:

Shooshie

PS: Feynman would love that argument!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Shooshie wrote: Feynman would love that argument!
I'm sure we would!
Then, he'd find some other way to completely turn it around, confuse us all, and kick our arse!

Richard Feynman is one of my favorite people who ever lived.
If anyone hasn't seen his famous physics lectures, you owe it to yourself to do so. It's like watching Albert Einstein delivering knowledge, with a Noo Yoak accent, and everything :)

Great scientist, thinker and educator 8)
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

UPDATE to ML 10.8.3... (open image in new tab or window for full pict)

Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Wow!
So are you saying the freezing timing issues got magically fixed with this update?

MIDI Life Crisis

I'm not saying anything. I'm simply presenting evidence as before. But your observation appears to coincide with mine. Yes, it appears to fix the issue and the update specifically mentions plugins for audio. That's big.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:UPDATE to ML 10.5.3... (open image in new tab or window for full pict)

Meaning OSX 10.8.3 MLC ???
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
MIDI Life Crisis

Yes. ML= Mountain Lion. In all the excitement I thought I was back in SL. Sorry. So again, 10.8.3.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
doodles

Post by doodles »

FMiguelez wrote:
doodles wrote:
Hi, Doodles.
Thanks for clarifying, but I must confess I really can't see what the problem is...

My template is quite large too, and it never takes me longer than the duration of the cue to print all my MIDI tracks individually.

Can't you just print them in real time? You just need to set up some smart routing tricks, but it's totally doable. Why do you insist on using Freeze? Real time printing gives you the same results, only faster, better, and more reliably.

It seems that there have been mainly 2 issues in this thread:
1.- That Freezing is not faster-than-realtime
2.- That DP crashes when freezing more than a few tracks at the same time.

For 1, that's the way it is. It is a real time process and one can not expect it to go any faster (as opposed to BTD, for the reasons I've outlined up-thread).
For 2, THAT is an issue. DP should be able to freeze 3, 15, or 100 tracks at the same time with no problems at all.
Doodles, this seems to be your one and real problem, correct? Otherwise, if it worked as it should, you'd be happily freezing away all your tracks with no wasted time, yes?

If so, MOTU needs to know about this, because it should not be happening at all.
Also, if you take into account this other disturbing freezing-realted thread, MOTU must really roll up their sleeves and find out what is going on with the Freeze command.

Basically, people are seeing crashes when bouncing multiple tracks at the same time, AND other users are experiencing totally inconsistent timing issues when freezing, according to this thread:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=53597

THAT I find very disturbing. I never trusted BTD or freezing, and this seems to only confirm my suspicions that these methods are not always reliable and are prone to timing/phasing issues.

MOTU????? :unicorn:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote: Also, given that freezing takes at least as long as realtime in any instance I've seen personally, freezing makes little sense. If I am understanding the reason for it at all, it's to basically bounce the audio but w/o FX plugs. Maybe someone could clarify (I think FM already did but can't find it) that I understand that correctly.
Some members seemed a bit confused between bouncing and freezing.

Basically, freezing works AT THE TRACK LEVEL. It'll print the track's automation and plugins, but it will NOT print anything that was delivered via sends. This means no reverb, no delay, and no automation/plugins in any submix or stem aux tracks.

Bouncing, OTOH, will include all of that, providing that the right tracks are play-enabled. But doing this track by track would not be efficient or desirable at all. This is not BTD's Raison d'être. BTD was designed to "merge" or print more than one track at a time (i.e., your final mix, or stems).
I'm jealous that it's working for you ;-)

It's gotta be a VEPro/DP thing. i know I'm pushing DP pretty hard, but it's crazy. Recording in real time just doesn't seem feasible. So my template is (I just did a rough count) around 400 MIDI tracks. If I was to have this set up with routing to try and record all at the same time, I would have to have 400 aux tracks permanently set up for routing? I know I'm prob being thick, but it's a convo I've had with quite a few people recently. Just can't find a wat round it. I DREAD the tracklaying process!

so in short, yes you're right.

a) freezing isn't faster than real-time. I couldn't care less.
b) freezing tons of VI's crashes. Yes this is my main issue.

Again, apologies for delay replying. last 3 weeks of this, then I WILL do a separate topic and you can all ignore me for being so thick :roll: :oops:
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam