DP 8.01 (64) and Antelope Orion 32

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mrgkeys
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 8.01 (64) and Antelope Orion 32

Post by mrgkeys »

Anyone using this combo? Anyone getting it to work at 96k? I'm having no luck... 44.1k seems fine and the converter sounds so stupidly amazing.. good grief it's good...

Michael
EMRR

Re: DP 8.01 (64) and Antelope Orion 32

Post by EMRR »

I think they've just released a driver update that will work at higher rates, or more channels at higher rates. Anyway, been awhile, how's it gone so far? It's an interesting piece among upgrade possibilities.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

In my haste to get the Orion going on a couple of different platforms.. Studio One, Logic, PT 10.. I sprung for an RME MADI FX pci card, so I'm using it over MADI and it's fine.. I haven't done any testing with it on USB with the new driver other than to open an existing project to see if it ran and everything seems to be fine.. it all ran normally at all sample rates... I didn't go any farther than cutting about 24 tracks for 15 min over USB and all was ok.. The MADI functions perfectly with DP 8.01, just finished a session with it and all 196 in/out channels show up in DP just fine. Once you wrap your head around how the routing works it's easier. The Orion can not route playback and input to the DACs at the same time over USB so it doesn't work like the 424 card it replaced. But it will do one or the other, just not at the same time. I'm in love with the converters on this unit, it's so night and day from my 24 I/Os AND it works perfectly with the MADI card in the OWC Helios thunderbolt chassis. I cut a live show last week from my laptop, Orion-MADI pci card in the Thunderbolt enclosure-DP 8.. works like a charm. Would love it if my PCI-424 card worked over thunderbolt.. I've tried it tonight and it doesn't, and yep I did install the drivers.. but 2 thumbs up for the Orion's sound. It's amazing. FWIW I can actually hear the converter difference in lossy mp3s. It's like having all new gear!
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Cool, thanks.
mrgkeys wrote: The Orion can not route playback and input to the DACs at the same time over USB so it doesn't work like the 424 card it replaced. But it will do one or the other, just not at the same time.
So no-go on input monitor for punch-ins via USB? Am I reading you correctly? If I am, how comprehensive is the pain of switching between them?
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
wonder

Post by wonder »

I'm SUPER late to this party but wanted to try and resurrect this.

I just did a session at a studio that had the Orion 32 and was very pleased at not only the sound of the Orion but the beauty of the piece and slim design.

Is it not possible to do punch-ins while monitoring playback with this device? Am i reading this correctly?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

It depends on the latency you're working at. Drop it low enough and you should be able to punch and cut fine if your computer will handle it. You have to pick in the control panel what the DAC sees, input or ADC, USB playback, or MADI Output. This is selectable per channel, so if you were monitoring from say 31 and 32 for L and R out, you could listen to the input on some other channel for overdubs.