Waves. Heck with them!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
kwiz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Waves. Heck with them!

Post by kwiz »

I know this is an old thread, but I'm officially done with Waves. I only use a couple of their plugins these days; Vitamin & L2. My update program price is now over $1000 dollars... Once my plugins stop working because of OS upgrades, etc., it'll be a wrap.
I'll gladly spend that on UAD and Slate plugins before Waves gets another dime out of me.
There are plenty of great plugins that do the same thing as Waves and more with equal, or better quality. SoundToys, iZotope, Softube, CableGuys, and Plugin Alliance, just to name a few have been more innovative and sonically appealing for my productions. Waves has just been too greedy over the years; the main reason why I could never find myself willing to invest in the Mercury Bundle.
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

kwiz wrote:I know this is an old thread, but I'm officially done with Waves. I only use a couple of their plugins these days; Vitamin & L2. My update program price is now over $1000 dollars.
I thought they put in a $300 cap? If you have loads of Waves plugins and use them regularly, that could be tolerable.

I only had the original Ren bundle, and my WUP price was about $40 every couple of years. Then I bought about $50 worth of no brainers at Black Friday sales and the WUP went to $300.

The Ren EQ and Reverb are still favourites and I like the new nx plugin. But like you, I won't be updating after they stop working. I doubt they care.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I was done with Waves after the last install, which HOSED my machine. P.O.C. - There are other alternatives in the world of plug ins.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Earlier I got a freebie and am finding out they want over $100 for WUP? I have two words and neither is Merry Christmas.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

bayswater wrote: I thought they put in a $300 cap? If you have loads of Waves plugins and use them regularly, that could be tolerable.

I only had the original Ren bundle, and my WUP price was about $40 every couple of years. Then I bought about $50 worth of no brainers at Black Friday sales and the WUP went to $300.

The Ren EQ and Reverb are still favourites and I like the new nx plugin. But like you, I won't be updating after they stop working. I doubt they care.
Nope, the cap applies to each bundle you own, and every individual plugin outside of the bundle.
To me, that's almost extortion. This model would almost be tolerable if the upgrade price was reasonable. Kudos to the companies that practice this business model, but keep their prices reasonable and fair.

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.

F. Douglas
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

What are you guys even paying WUP for?

There's no reason to pay it unless there's been a specific update that impacts your products functionality, or if you have a bundle that adds new plugins.

If your Waves plug-ins are working, then WUP doesn't matter at all.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

I got an email from them yesterday warning me that my "WUP" was going to expire for Trueverb. It was offered as a freebie a while back, but I never even installed it. Nevertheless, they want money from me now. lol
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Tritonemusic wrote:I got an email from them yesterday warning me that my "WUP" was going to expire for Trueverb. It was offered as a freebie a while back, but I never even installed it. Nevertheless, they want money from me now. lol
Yea, I got that, too. I had it installed then got an email a few days later saying it wouldn't work unless I went to a new license manager by a certain date. Forget that. When it no longer worked, I was no longer interested. Nothing has changed.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:
Tritonemusic wrote:I got an email from them yesterday warning me that my "WUP" was going to expire for Trueverb. It was offered as a freebie a while back, but I never even installed it. Nevertheless, they want money from me now. lol
Yea, I got that, too. I had it installed then got an email a few days later saying it wouldn't work unless I went to a new license manager by a certain date. Forget that. When it no longer worked, I was no longer interested. Nothing has changed.
Happened to me when I got nx. I had to install a new licence manager, and that installation removed all the older plugins that had not been wupped. I contacted support and they said to simply download and reinstall all the plugins. It worked.

AFAIK, as Robert pointed out above, they will keep working, wup or not, as long as they are compatible with the OS and host.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Robert Randolph wrote:What are you guys even paying WUP for?

There's no reason to pay it unless there's been a specific update that impacts your products functionality, or if you have a bundle that adds new plugins.

If your Waves plug-ins are working, then WUP doesn't matter at all.
I understand that and never said that I was about to pay for it. :lol:
I was in my Waves account because I wanted to demo a new plugin that they introduced yesterday and looked at the WUP section while in my account and noticed how expensive upgrading all my plugins was going to be once they stopped working. Every new plugin that a Waves user purchases outside of a bundled plugin is subject to their bs upgrade program... :twisted:

F. Douglas
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Agree they claim you don't have to buy WUP but little errors occur in plugs so I have been only buying updates for ones I use like Renn bundle. I'm very sick on their BS myself.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Not a defender of Waves, but I use lots of their plugs and have used them in many sessions over the years.
I like the bonus of being able to recall sessions from ten years ago and all of the plugs come up, ready to play.

Pretty cool to have all of the old resources working in the new environment.

Waves has kept this paradigm alive and it may not be worth the cost if you don't have legacy sessions. or don't expect to.

That being said, there are several Waves plugs that are rocking my world.

That being said, there are a million great plugs from a host of developers that offer great functionality and inspiration.

Nobody here needs Waves plugins to make great recordings.
All is well
csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

Waves is THE worst. I've been done with them for well over 6 years - won't buy another Waves product ever.

Some of their plugs are over 10 years old and they're still selling them for a high dollar, what!? :deadhorse:
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub