Help! VE Pro vers 5.1.11849 no longer syncs with DP 8.01

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Help! VE Pro vers 5.1.11849 no longer syncs with DP 8.01

Post by toodamnhip »

I was happy to see DP 8.0 bring a fix to the sync problems between DP 7 and VE Pro 5.
With DP 8, I was able to run VE Pro at 4x buffers and all was well and, as proudly proclaimed at the motunation message board, a new era of power was at hand!!

With the Dp 8.01 update, it seems I am having sync issues again.

Superior Drummer does not seem to properly sync when auditioning loops and neither does NI’s studio drummer when I change VE Pro’s buffer multipkier from “none to 1/2/3 or 4.
. For either to work, I need to have VE Pro’s buffer multiplier set to “none”.
Before the 8.01 update, DP and VE Pro worked fine at 4x buffers. I could audition loops in Superior or NI’s studio drummer and they’d play in sync at any buffer setting in VE Pro 5.

Now I have to run VE at “none for loops to receive sync properly, But doing so adds cpu strain to DP so I like to run VE at 4x.

With 8.01, previous MIDI recorded and Played back in VE has stayed in sync, which is an improvement over DP 7. (DP 7 would completely play back out of sync.) So that issue is still fixed. But there seems to be a problem in NI and SUperior at least, in getting sync data from Dp, through VE Pro at any buffer above “none”, in vers. 8.01

I tried the following fixes:
** I went back and uninstalled and re-installed 3 previous versions of VE Pro 5, since the earlier versions did indeed work at 4x buffers to see if the latest VE Pro was the culprit...=no fix
**I kept DP 8.0 in an old folder and therefore, tried DP 8.0 with the latest and the 3 previous versions of VE Pro.= no fix
**I Trashed DPs prefs= no fix
** I did various computer repairs and maintenance routines = no fix.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Help! VE Pro vers 5.1.11849 no longer syncs with DP 8.01

Post by labman »

TDP, I am sorry you are having those issues. I just took one of our timing tests files that spreads various VEP instance over several macs. And then put rmx on a slave mac, VEP buffer set to one, DP buffer set to 256/med. Seemed to sync fine. (both with HOST Sync, and manually played loops) And they are following tightly with some fairly complex tempo changes. Perhaps that is not a valid test for your scenario though. And perhaps I am not understanding your specific needs. Let me know.

On other fronts, we redid our VEP timing tests for checking out DP delay compensation which was not working with VEP until MOTU fixed it in DP8. Glad to report that timing is still dead on between various macs with DP 8.01.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

labman wrote:TDP, I am sorry you are having those issues. I just took one of our timing tests files that spreads various VEP instance over several macs. And then put rmx on a slave mac, VEP buffer set to one, DP buffer set to 256/med. Seemed to sync fine. (both with HOST Sync, and manually played loops) And they are following tightly with some fairly complex tempo changes. Perhaps that is not a valid test for your scenario though. And perhaps I am not understanding your specific needs. Let me know.

On other fronts, we redid our VEP timing tests for checking out DP delay compensation which was not working with VEP until MOTU fixed it in DP8. Glad to report that timing is still dead on between various macs with DP 8.01.
A VEP pro buffer of one at 256 could fool you as to sync. Try VE buffers to 4x and set DP to 1024. Then try some sort of drum loop program that needs tempo data from DP. That will show things.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
labman

Post by labman »

Are you meaning not syncing whilst playing live?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

labman wrote:Are you meaning not syncing whilst playing live?
Previously recorded MIDI, being triggered from INSIDE of DP, OUT to VE Pro plays back fine.
The problem is with VIs inside VE Pro that need SYNC info from DP.
For example, with me, it is SUperior drummer and NIs drum program.
Both have MIDI beat libraries that you can trigger to play along with whatever you already have in DP.
You trigger a drum beat for example, and it plays along with DP.
If you like it, you can drag the MIDI INTO DP and make that once auditioned MIDI, permanent.
Well, now, since DP 8.01, they beats audition out of sync when VE’s buffers are not at “none”.
This means the once “FIXED” sync issue between DP and VE Pro, is now out of whack again.
I would like someone to confirm this please.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

By the way, Vienna has confirmed to me that nothing has been changed in their recent update to warrant sync going out in DP 8.01, thus, it is most likely a DP issue.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
labman

Post by labman »

I understand now. Thanks for clearing. Our schedule today is pretty swamped but 'if' we get a chance we will bump up to 1024 and see how RMX responds then.