Incoming Network Connections - DP8 keeps asking

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Incoming Network Connections - DP8 keeps asking

Post by monkey man »

bayswater wrote:As far as I can see, LS only manages outgoing connection.
This caught my eye yesterday, Baysey, and I didn't get around to responding.

AFAIK, you can set both outgoing and incoming restrictions with LS.

IIRC, after you've set, say, a "block all outgoing" rule for an app, you simply add another rule (for the same app) by right-clicking it in the LS Configuration app, selecting "new rule for app xxx", and then choosing "deny connections" and "incoming" at the top of the edit window. Oh, and leaving the default "any server" setting intact of course.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:
bayswater wrote:As far as I can see, LS only manages outgoing connection.
This caught my eye yesterday, Baysey, and I didn't get around to responding.

AFAIK, you can set both outgoing and incoming restrictions with LS.

IIRC, after you've set, say, a "block all outgoing" rule for an app, you simply add another rule (for the same app) by right-clicking it in the LS Configuration app, selecting "new rule for app xxx", and then choosing "deny connections" and "incoming" at the top of the edit window. Oh, and leaving the default "any server" setting intact of course.
Yes, you're right about that. When I wrote this, I was probably still using an older version.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Great.

G'day Stoivo. Just passin' through, as opposed to just passin'.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:Great.

G'day Stoivo. Just passin' through, as opposed to just passin'.
Good Day, eh?
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Good day or not, it's always "G'day" down under in Jungleville, Stoooiv.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:Good day or not, it's always "G'day" down under in Jungleville, Stoooiv.
Here in the Great White North, all the letters are used. It's a no waste policy, eh?
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Well, nobody says "gooday", even quickly for the "good" part, Stoivo. It's "g'day", where the "g" is pronounced only as the "g" sound.

Yeah, so much is shortened down here. It'd be nice to think that it's somehow in the interest of efficiency, but I suspect laziness is the primate... er... primary driver. We Aussies are hard workers but lazy talkers, I reckon.

Mind you, substitution, which we're well-known for, has nothing to do with laziness or efficiency. It invariably entails the use of more words, but the colour factor spices things up nicely:

"bag o' fruit" - suit
"mince pies" - eyes
"pork pies" - lies
"(on your) Pat Malone" - alone... and so on.

This sort of substitution is dying out in this, the age of internet speak and acronym usage, something I and many others 'roo... I mean, rue. There's another lazy one - kangaroo = 'roo.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:Well, nobody says "gooday", even quickly for the "good" part, Stoivo. It's "g'day", where the "g" is pronounced only as the "g" sound.

Yeah, so much is shortened down here. It'd be nice to think that it's somehow in the interest of efficiency, but I suspect laziness is the primate... er... primary driver. We Aussies are hard workers but lazy talkers, I reckon.

Mind you, substitution, which we're well-known for, has nothing to do with laziness or efficiency. It invariably entails the use of more words, but the colour factor spices things up nicely:

"bag o' fruit" - suit
"mince pies" - eyes
"pork pies" - lies
"(on your) Pat Malone" - alone... and so on.

This sort of substitution is dying out in this, the age of internet speak and acronym usage, something I and many others 'roo... I mean, rue. There's another lazy one - kangaroo = 'roo.
All I can say is barbie.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Hey, not bad Stoiv.

Now try prefacing that with the phrase "throw a prawn on the", and you're practically a fairdinkum ridgy-didge Aussie, maaate.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Amazing to thing that this was probably all English 200 years ago.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:Amazing to thing that this was probably all English 200 years ago.
[permit me to indulge in a momentary detour, inspired by language]

My father's mother grew up in Hazard, Kentucky. There, the people used to speak a dialect that had not been around since the first settlers came across on the Mayflower. Because they were isolated from the rest of the colonies by mountains, they didn't get much interaction with the outside world, and their dialect just deepened. When some linguist "discovered" them, he was amazed to be hearing a living archive of old English. My grandmother had a southern accent, but it was unlike any I'd ever heard. The women "purr" in their voices. When my daughter and I went to Hazard, we stopped at a Subway Sandwich place, and within 5 minutes I'd heard 2 women who sounded just like my grandmother!

And speaking of dialects, Brazil's language is Portuguese, and yet the VAST majority of Portuguese speakers are Brazilian. Portugal is barely a memory of another time in another land, whose principal export to the world will probably be remembered as its language, which someday will simply be called "Brazilian." (It's already called Brazilian Portuguese.)

Then there's Chinese, whose dialects are so diverse that many Chinese speak to other Chinese from neighboring regions in English! I don't think China would ever let English become the primary language, and yet (from what I've heard) most Chinese can speak at least a little of it.

Language is one of the most interesting things on the planet. I could study it for a lifetime.

Pardon the detour. Continue talking about Network Connections. Sorry!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Sorry, I didn't mean to accuse Australians of speaking English :rofl: :rofl:
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean to accuse Australians of speaking English :rofl: :rofl:
When I was a kid, a bus load of Australians came to visit our ranch. They didn't seem odd at all, except for the stuff about kangaroos, and Waltzing Matilda, and all that. They were quite understandable, and their accents really weren't that far from Texans. Kind of like Texans after a trip to England.

But when the folks from southern Louisiana came, it was like some kind of rowdy Europeans. I could not understand a WORD! And when they'd try to explain it or speak clearly, it got even worse. I resolved that I'd grow up and learn to speak Cajun. I tried, but never quite got the hang of it or the accent. That's some wild stuff!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

bayswater wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean to accuse Australians of speaking English :rofl: :rofl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvQFR9HS8EE

(How the heck do you imbed a YouTube?)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:But when the folks from southern Louisiana came, it was like some kind of rowdy Europeans. I could not understand a WORD! And when they'd try to explain it or speak clearly, it got even worse. I resolved that I'd grow up and learn to speak Cajun. I tried, but never quite got the hang of it or the accent. That's some wild stuff!
It's because they're speaking French. Like Quebec. You can spend ages learning French and understand people in Paris, but have no idea what they're saying in Montreal.