DP8 locks up when using count off to record

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mljmusic
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP8 locks up when using count off to record

Post by mljmusic »

Hi,
Has anyone encountered DP 8 counting off in record mode and then stopping? The record is still active and the notes pile up at the same spot .

Macbook Pro 13 Early 2011
2.3 I5
8GB Ram
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8 locks up when using count off to record

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Been using count off w/MIDI w/o any issues.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

No problem here, either... no matter whether I use a MIDI or audio click, it works just like it always did.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mljmusic
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mljmusic »

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. MOTU suggested I do a reinstall, but it did not help. The count off will only work with the audio system turned off (MIDI Only). Count off with or without recording will not work otherwise. So far, MOTU cannot recreate this scenario.

Thanks,
Jon
vspiegel

Post by vspiegel »

Yes, mine just started doing that as well. I can't figure it out. I've gone through the Commands, the memories, the syncs... I can't figure out why... and I've been using DP for 10 years. Anything to do with a specific software or other app?
Mac OS 11.4; iMac 2017; 64 GB Ram: EastWest, Kontakt, Spitfire, Cinesamples, LASS, Sine, 8SSDs, 2 Thunderbolt Docks, MOTU 896mk3, HP second screen.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I have used this a lot in the last 2 weeks and have not had any problems - I will look out for it but so far no issue - I am on 64 bit with Reason rewired to DP8 recording through Pod Farm2 plug in and others running like Superior Drummer. So it is not just DP8 running.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Marian

Post by Marian »

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem. Sometimes DP crashes when I hit count off button. No matter 32 or 64bit. Very frustrating.

Cheers

Marian
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7, 8MB RAM, DP8, Mach V, Track 16, Vintech 273, Mytek AD192, NI Komplete 9, Reason 4, Waves API Bundle, Gibson ES-335, Line 6 KB37, POD Farm 2.5.
SeikoT123

Post by SeikoT123 »

I am having the same problem. Just got DP8 and installed it last month, and when going through the beginner DP tutorials that come with the installation disk (i.e., loading the ready-made templates for those tutorials), and using a 1 or 2 bar countoff to record MIDI (as instructed in the tutorials) recording stops at the end of the countoff. When I turn off countoff and just start recording from measure 1, recording works just fine.

Very frustrating. (Fyi, I posted on this separately in this forum but haven't received any responses yet.)

Hoping someone might know how to fix this....
bouzouki

Post by bouzouki »

I've had the same problem since I installed DP8 - I've tried about everything I can to rectify, with no success yet. Any ideas??
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I'm experiencing a problem; not sure if it's the one described.

When using a countoff of any length, at the end of the countoff there's a pause of about 1 second, after which it begins recording. It would be almost ok if the pause was in time with the countoff, but it's not related to the countoff in any way. It just stops for a moment, then suddenly it begins.

The computer doesn't lock up or crash. Nothing like that. Just a pause, as if someone clicked the pause button on and off, and then it continued recording. When it begins recording, the click sounds wrong. Hard to catch the beat. If I start it a bar before I want to record, and have it click throughout, then I can work around it, but it's still not the way DP was designed to work. I'm surprised they haven't caught this and fixed it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Found the source of the problem: Automatic Plug-in Latency Compensation. (Setup Menu/Configure Audio System/Configure Studio Settings/Automatic Plug-in Latency Compensation)

Turn off APLC, and it doesn't stop after Countoff, before recording.

It doesn't matter whether plugins are set to run at realtime.
It doesn't matter if you turn off the pre-fill buffer setting.
I can't find any other settings, anywhere, which affect it.

If you remove all your latency-causing plugins (especially look-ahead compressors), the problem goes away.

One workaround is to set up an empty mix for recording. Switch to that mix when tracking. Switch back to your main-mix for mixing. But it's a work-around. DP isn't supposed to work that way, and MOTU needs to fix the problem.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

I am encountering this problem on Windows 10x64, but turning off delay compensation does not fix it for me.

Anyone know if this still exists in DP9?
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB