Split stereo track to two mono tracks??

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dpg4macman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Split stereo track to two mono tracks??

Post by dpg4macman »

Hello everyone, I am working on a project that has a sampled stereo keyboard part that I am finding has a phase problem. I believe I can correct it simply by splitting the stereo file into two mono files and performing the alignment however I can't find the command to split the file. I was watching a video on "Mix Coach" and he was using PT and did it with one mouse click. Is this possible in DP? (This gives me reason to dig out my manual - I have searched for this some time ago with no luck though) If this function does not exists in DP6 is it in DP8?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

mvh
dpg4macman

Re: Split stereo track to two mono tracks??

Post by dpg4macman »

Wow, No bites - I know - Pan left and bounce, pan right and bounce. I just thought there would be an easier more efficient way.

Thanks anyway,

mvh
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Unfortunately, there isn't a completely clean way to turn a Stereo track to two monos. However, for what you're doing, there's a plugin in DP8, created for exactly this purpose: the Precision Delay. Putting this baby on a stereo track gives you precision control over the delay of each channel. It can even automatically calculate the phase correction for you.

If you only have DP6 (I couldn't tell by your post) you still have options. The basic "Delay" effect will give you control over both channels, you'll just want to turn off all the filter and feedback settings, it's also only in milliseconds, in case you're looking for even finer control. There are other plugins, even some free ones, that do ultra-fine delay correction, but I don't know which ones have independent Left and Right settings. If you're faced with using a mono one, here's what you do: create two aux tracks with adjacent single-channel bus inputs (like busses 5 and 6), then output on two more like 7 and 8 (or master left and right). Put your delay on one of them. Set the output of your stereo track to 5-6, and catch the final output on a group or master or whatever. It may look a bit disorganized, but it'll process your tracks in realtime, without you having to do bounces or track duplication.

So that's your three best options: Precision Delay (DP8), basic Delay, or bussing and processing. Sorry that there's no "stereo to 2 mono" option. That's one feature that I think we can all agree on is kind of strangely absent. However, I've never been faced with a situation in which its been all that problematic, there's some relatively simple ways of dealing with these issues.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

Thanks Prime - Appreciated,

mvh
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

There may be other options. If (in the Finder) the tracks are named xyzL. and xyzR. (regardless of the extension) you simple rename them in the Finder and don't use the L/R designation. That should make them independent. Otherwise they are treated as linked.

You might also just mess with the TRIM plugin and see if that can kill the phasing.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:There may be other options. If (in the Finder) the tracks are named xyzL. and xyzR. (regardless of the extension) you simple rename them in the Finder and don't use the L/R designation. That should make them independent.
You can get them to this state (xyzL. and xyzR.) by exporting an interleaved soundbite to a de-interleaved format. From the Soundbites window, select the appropriate soundbite and export from the mini menu. Choose one of the de-interleaved formats from the promt. Not a one click solution, but it's doable.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
studrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by studrum »

dpg4macman wrote:Hello everyone, I am working on a project that has a sampled stereo keyboard part that I am finding has a phase problem. I believe I can correct it simply by splitting the stereo file into two mono files and performing the alignment however I can't find the command to split the file. I was watching a video on "Mix Coach" and he was using PT and did it with one mouse click. Is this possible in DP? (This gives me reason to dig out my manual - I have searched for this some time ago with no luck though) If this function does not exists in DP6 is it in DP8?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

mvh

Hi... im not in my studio right now so i cant verify this but im thinking that if you assigned the output of your stereo track to say for example stereo bus 1 and 2 you could then add two new mono tracks in DP and assign their inputs to mono bus 1 and mono bus 2... you will then need to run DP in real time with your new mono tracks in record remembering to mute any other tracks that might be going to busses 1 and 2...
Tim

Post by Tim »

In the waveform editor, Command-select one side (or Select All, the click on the far left where the L and R are.), then from the mini menu choose to make New Audio from selection...repeat for other side.
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

Awesome! Thanks Tim
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

That IS awesome. Thanks, Tim. I never would have thought to go that route. I still keep learning stuff about this program.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Tim. How does he do it and with so few words? I wish I could do that with my music!

Thanks Tim.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Well, the splitting / combining / format-changing questions arise every now and then on this board.
IMHO, just do yourself a favour, buy Audiofinder. Will perform that and so much more. Worth every cents.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
frankf

Post by frankf »

dpg4macman wrote:Wow, No bites - I know - Pan left and bounce, pan right and bounce. I just thought there would be an easier more efficient way.

Thanks anyway,

mvh
Try exporting the Soundbite from the SB window or right-click menu as deinterleaved and then drag them back to your project.

Frank
DP 8
Mac Pro 3,1 OSX 10.6.8, 24gb RAM
Metric Halo 2882, ULN-2
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Tim wrote:In the waveform editor, Command-select one side (or Select All, the click on the far left where the L and R are.), then from the mini menu choose to make New Audio from selection...repeat for other side.
Although this is way cool,
Try exporting the Soundbite from the SB window or right-click menu as deinterleaved and then drag them back to your project.
This is easier and faster. Select the stereo file sound bite (Tracks in DP 8, Soundbites in earlier versions), right-click and export as deinterleaved format of choice. Drag back in as mono tracks.

Both are better than the help files in Tech Support which must be so old that I won't re-post them here.

Just today, I had to make a backing track from a stereo mix. I did the above, used the Inverse Phase plug on one of the tracks and panned both to center - this reduced the lead vocal about 95% and eliminated the bass and kick drum. I then enabled the stereo mix with a low pass filter set to 125Hz bringing back the kick and some bass. From there, it was easy to double the bass and add another rhythm guitar. Two hours later the client thought I was a miracle worker.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

MOTU posted this on Facebook just for me...:)

"MOTU Tip of the Day

Splitting stereo tracks into mono using DP

Need to split an interleaved stereo audio file into two independent mono files? Or extract one channel from a stereo file? Use Digital Performer's Waveform Editor. Simply highlight the area you like and choose "New Audio File From Selection" from the Waveform Editor's mini-menu (on the top right of the screen).

If you hold down the Command/Ctrl Key while highlighting a region, you can select one channel of a stereo file. This allows you to isolate either the left or right side of a stereo file, and by choosing "New Audio File From Selection", you create a new audio file with only one side of your original stereo content."

Tim knew it all along

Thanks guys,

mvh