DP8 wish list

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
stainless
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP8 wish list

Post by stainless »

a transport button that would take me to the end of the session

Quickscribe- ability to manually select rests and place (as opposed to positioning notes)

that's all I got!
MacPro 2 x 2.4 (5,1 2010) , 16 GB RAM, 4.5TB, 10.9.1 OSX, DP 8.05, RME FF800, Audient ASP008, Lucid 8824 (clock), UAD2, JBL4623L w/sub, Prism, Avalon, Universal Audio, Aphex, Altex Lansing, AEA, Bellari, AKG, Audio-Technica, Rode, Shure, Granelli Audio, MXL, Jolie mod, JBridgeM, HearBack, and a manx named "get off the keyboard!"
ironchef_marc

Re: DP8 wish list

Post by ironchef_marc »

Automation "write to end" like most other DAW do

Delete all empty tracks

Audio assignments = have the ability to create new bundles and assign them consecutively so once can create 5 busses for a new VI instantly
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
BobK

Post by BobK »

Wrong forum for this topic - it belongs in the Troubleshooting/Criticism forum. See the red box above.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
stainless

Post by stainless »

I couldn't figure out where to put it and criticisms sounds somewhat close.

May the moderator move to where it belongs!
MacPro 2 x 2.4 (5,1 2010) , 16 GB RAM, 4.5TB, 10.9.1 OSX, DP 8.05, RME FF800, Audient ASP008, Lucid 8824 (clock), UAD2, JBL4623L w/sub, Prism, Avalon, Universal Audio, Aphex, Altex Lansing, AEA, Bellari, AKG, Audio-Technica, Rode, Shure, Granelli Audio, MXL, Jolie mod, JBridgeM, HearBack, and a manx named "get off the keyboard!"
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

This seems like a good thread for this. I've been wanting MOTU to add a an "Invert" signal button on the channel strips in the Mixing Board. It seems odd that we should have to add a plugin for that. That's something we should be able to try as a matter of workflow with any track.

For example, if you are miccing drums simultaneously from above and below, you get very different sounding tracks, but they each have a part of the other in them, except that it's backward, opposite. To get them to stand out, you have to invert one of them. Why must we add Trim for that? Any time two mics are used for the same subject, inversion may play a part in the clarity and/or placement of the sound.

In fact, I've wanted to add MOST of Trim's controls to the channel strip for a long time. I know it's already pretty cluttered, but the importance of these controls seems to outweigh the need for space, and most of us have large monitors now, anyway. Plus, as with all the other controls in the channels strips, you get to choose which ones are displayed. So I really see no argument against incorporating Trim into the Mixing Board.

That doesn't mean we have to give up the plugin. One of the great things about the plugin is the ability to selectively meter any range. That way you can use the entire meter for even a small part of the range that normally may not see much activity. THAT would be worth keeping Trim around, and there's no reason to remove any of its controls. Just duplicate them in the channel strip. We have compressors and EQ duplicated in the strip; why not Trim? It's arguably the most important control of the channel-strip variety, making any kind of panning "rules" irrelevant, while adding inversion control of the signal — something we should be able to try instantly upon thinking of it, not having to add a plugin for it.

Shooshie

(sent to MOTU via tech support ticket)
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
BobK

Post by BobK »

Shooshie wrote:I've been wanting MOTU to add a an "Invert" signal button on the channel strips in the Mixing Board. It seems odd that we should have to add a plugin for that. That's something we should be able to try as a matter of workflow with any track.
A big +1 on that.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

Shooshie wrote:This seems like a good thread for this. I've been wanting MOTU to add a an "Invert" signal button on the channel strips in the Mixing Board. It seems odd that we should have to add a plugin for that. That's something we should be able to try as a matter of workflow with any track.

For example, if you are miccing drums simultaneously from above and below, you get very different sounding tracks, but they each have a part of the other in them, except that it's backward, opposite. To get them to stand out, you have to invert one of them. Why must we add Trim for that? Any time two mics are used for the same subject, inversion may play a part in the clarity and/or placement of the sound.

In fact, I've wanted to add MOST of Trim's controls to the channel strip for a long time. I know it's already pretty cluttered, but the importance of these controls seems to outweigh the need for space, and most of us have large monitors now, anyway. Plus, as with all the other controls in the channels strips, you get to choose which ones are displayed. So I really see no argument against incorporating Trim into the Mixing Board.

That doesn't mean we have to give up the plugin. One of the great things about the plugin is the ability to selectively meter any range. That way you can use the entire meter for even a small part of the range that normally may not see much activity. THAT would be worth keeping Trim around, and there's no reason to remove any of its controls. Just duplicate them in the channel strip. We have compressors and EQ duplicated in the strip; why not Trim? It's arguably the most important control of the channel-strip variety, making any kind of panning "rules" irrelevant, while adding inversion control of the signal — something we should be able to try instantly upon thinking of it, not having to add a plugin for it.

Shooshie

(sent to MOTU via tech support ticket)

A BIG+1 on that one as well! I hate having to call up a plugin just to check phase on drum tracks. Surely, they can find the space on the mixer strip for a simple phase invert button.

Carlos
Todzilla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Todzilla »

A simple, one-click process for exporting all active audio tracks, with zero start times, VIs into audio tracks to a folder for reimport into a different DAW?

Not OMF, just a way to do a project export from the tracks window that preps everything active for import without effects.

If this feature is already there, I will gladly supplant my ignorance with joy.
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

A merge function for Virtual Instruments, where the MIDI and VI's are merged to audio, but the plugins and fader positions, etc. on the desk are ignored, just like when you merge soundbites.

Better yet, put a option/button on that VI merge, that lets you copy the plugins and fader positions to the resulting merged track.

That way, you're essentially bouncing/freezing the VIs, but you're keeping the stuff on the mixer un-bounced, so you're just trading MIDI/VI for audio and leaving it in the state it's in. i.e. you're not stuck with that EQ you had on there when you bounced/froze.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Well, I've always loathed the absence of a "trim" control on the mixing board. I remember Sonar and Cubase having them, Pro Tools and DP don't, don't know about Logic. I have a trim plug on just about every audio track for this reason, and it's just weird.

Also a way of switching between pan and balance methods on stereo tracks would be KILLER. Pro Tools does only pan, DP does only balance, and both are a pain in their own ways, because some tracks are better suited for one method, some are better suited for the other. Certainly balance is far easier to automate, for instance.

Honestly, this could be done with very little screen real-estate loss: a single added line for a trim pot. Then there could have a tiny drop down menu button by the balance nob that would change the stereo mixing method, and the balance nob could be toggled to two slightly smaller pan nobs.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Like that idea Shooshie,
Mine are these after working with it for only a month now:

Effects send pots open off or give us a pref. This is crazy IMO.
Update automation to end of tune from write, trim or mute ... SSL did it years ago "To End"

Automatic user preroll pref for punch ins with out having to set manually.

Leave mute highlight on in Layers and NEVER turn it off regardless of mutes on the line.
We are perfectly cape of double clicking the line to ad a mute with the pointer. Don't care what happens to the new mute edit feature but leave Layers mute selection on.

Can't find SR select in bounce to disk. Maybe it's just me but what's the deal?

All for now...
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2