Back to DP7 for Now

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
cody
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Back to DP7 for Now

Post by cody »

Here's why, and I'm bummed because DP8 looks and feels great!

• Recurring beach ball spinning on MIDI track edit when I double click a track in the tracks window, it can take minutes to open in the MIDI editor. Intermittent, but maddening.

• Cold crashes from doing the above, to anything really....DP just quits.

That's it really...but unfortunately it's just too disruptive. I've tried prefs, permissions, isolating plugins, etc, but I just can't get it.

For the record, I'm running 3 displays off a 8x2.4 Ghz MacPro with 32 GB RAM and SSDs. Mountain Lion, and DP in 32 bit mode, but I had these problems in 64 bit too.

Hopefully this helps somebody here and the first maintenance update will work for me!
MacPro 2011 *upgraded* 12 Core 3.33. 64 Gigs RAM. 2x PCIe SSDs, 2x SATA SSDS - OS 10.10.5, DP9.02, VEP5 + VEP5 Slave PC (i7)
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Back to DP7 for Now

Post by James Steele »

Sorry you're having problems. I'm not seeing this.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Have you lodged a Support case?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
midney
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by midney »

"Cold crashes from doing the above, to anything really....DP just quits"
Went back to DP7 for the same reasons.
b.midney
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling ?
The problems seem so unlike any other users here,maybe you should try this.
As others have asked,have you tried contacting MOTU tech support?
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'm wondering about his SSDs. Maybe you're already beyond working this further, but have you tried it NOT using the SSD drives? Just sayin...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

James Steele wrote:Sorry you're having problems. I'm not seeing this.
James, are you still on your 1,1 Mac Pro? How's DP8 working for you?

(On tapatalk so I cannot see signatures)
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
cody

Post by cody »

Sorry, should have mentioned I run VEP5 both locally on the same mac and also on a slave PC.

I will say that DP7 seems "snappier" and better all around, plus I still have the plugin upgrade. It's as stable as ever. Considering I was running DP8 in 32 bit mode due to some of my plugins which I didn't want to wrap (even though I bought the Jconvert thing) I still miss the following:

The awesome "Deluxe" theme.
Full Screen Video
Control Bar in Main Window

Cosmetic things all....but DP7 is still the best DP for me as of now.

And yes, submitted to MOTU, by virtue of them getting 50+ crash reports.
MacPro 2011 *upgraded* 12 Core 3.33. 64 Gigs RAM. 2x PCIe SSDs, 2x SATA SSDS - OS 10.10.5, DP9.02, VEP5 + VEP5 Slave PC (i7)
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

cody wrote:And yes, submitted to MOTU, by virtue of them getting 50+ crash reports.
Not the same as an actual bug report. They can't possibly read all those crash reports. They're for data mining.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Goes in the Criticism area. Moved.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
joelmusic

Post by joelmusic »

cody wrote:I will say that DP7 seems "snappier" and better all around
Too bad - I was hoping DP8 would be snappier - DP in general has gotten more and more sluggish over the years for me - resizing windows, etc, is just plain slow. On my Mac Pro and on my Macbook Pro. : (
MIDI Life Crisis

Do not despair, DP8 is, in fact, snappier on my machine. Except a few annoyances, it's humming along. Of course, I don't have 600 tracks by default, so that may be a factor for some.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
joelmusic

Post by joelmusic »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Do not despair, DP8 is, in fact, snappier on my machine. Except a few annoyances, it's humming along. Of course, I don't have 600 tracks by default, so that may be a factor for some.
That's great to hear! I can create a new file with one MIDI track and I still have excessive sluggishness, IMO. I've sent MOTU screencasts about it and haven't really resolved anything so I figured it was just inherent in the program as new features have been added through the years. Can't wait to try 8 - I imagine the 64 bit thing helps performance?
MIDI Life Crisis

Well if MOTU can't find the problem I certainly can't but have you tried installing on a clean drive, new user, and no plugs? IF so, then there might be a graphics conflict somewhere or a cache that needs to be cleaned.

DP7 and DP8 are virtually identical as my 8 core can handle everything I've thrown at it since I bought it about a year ago. Before that, my G5 was very sluggish especially with VIs active. MIDI was OK, however, and requires very little overhead in terms of CPU and RAM.

There's also all the work quanta stuff to mess with and I've been lucky not to have to do that. But to answer your question: no, I don't see an improvement over DP7 on this machine and for what I am working on now, but again, I've gotten used to 8 cores and 20GB of RAM very quickly. It's kind of like getting used to not having snow after moving from New York City to California. DP8 is a very nice release, IMO, but not light years different for me personally and I actually like that. I can find things! That was not the case with DP6, BTW. I felt like it was a new program and I didn't like that one bit (pun intended).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
joelmusic

Post by joelmusic »

Now that you mention it, my Mac does crash a _lot_ and has weird re-draw issues and visual lines that show up in graphics and on the desktop - probably a video issue? I run 2 monitors. Maybe it's time for a trip to the Apple Store for the ol' Mac Pro. Never thought that video issues could make a computer or program crash.