DP 8 feels sluggish compared to 7.24

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Twitch_12
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP 8 feels sluggish compared to 7.24

Post by Twitch_12 »

Anyone else finding DP 8 to be sluggish compared to 7.24?

I'm using a pretty big template (80 - 100 tracks but no VI's just ReWire MIDI to Bidule and then FX on the returns). This works reasonably well in DP 7.24 but I have long been critical of the graphic redraws on 7 (especially when scrolling). Track comping is usually enormously frustrating experience.

I was hoping DP 8 would be better, but I'm actually finding it noticeably worse. It feels like I'm constantly waiting for the GUI to respond to my commands even more so than 7.24.

Here's what I've done to try and improve the GUI performance:

- Many different configurations for Studio Settings

- Stripped down my template to only about 16 MIDI and audio tracks (using Bidule to host VI's)

- Disabled all AU and VST plugins (this actually helped quite a bit. Prior to finding a problem AU that was being loaded - but not enabled in the project -, I was literally waiting 1-2 seconds to nudge a MIDI note). Even with the AU & VST plugins disabled though, I still find it noticeably worse than 7.24.

- 32bit and 64bit modes.

- Using the built in audio.

- Repaired permissions.

After trying to work with 8 for several days, I think I'm going back to 7.24. I hope MOTU will be able to substantially speed up the GUI over the coming update cycle.
DP7.24, DP 8, MBP 8 core 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB Ram, 750GB 7200RPM Internal SSD Hybrid, OS 10.6.8. MOTU Ultralite FW 1.15 / Driver 1.6.54199
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 8 feels sluggish compared to 7.24

Post by toodamnhip »

I haven’t had much time to try out 8 but I did notice 2 things quickly. I, a NEW Dp8 file seemed very “SNAPPY”. An old 7 file seemed a bit sluggish , but I didn;t play with it long.
In the past I have seen it a typical scenario where a new version opening a file from an old version has certain issues.
I would try rebuilding your entire template anew in DP 8, see how that works.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Twitch_12

Post by Twitch_12 »

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I forgot to mention in my post that I also rebuilt my template from a clean DP 8 empty project.
DP7.24, DP 8, MBP 8 core 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB Ram, 750GB 7200RPM Internal SSD Hybrid, OS 10.6.8. MOTU Ultralite FW 1.15 / Driver 1.6.54199
delcosmos

Post by delcosmos »

I feel exactly same thing. I've been waiting almost a year for this release and I really wanted to like it, I've tried everything: permissions, 64 and 32 bits, disabling plug ins, changing buffer sizes, reading every single post in Motunation, etc, etc. Sadly its not happening, but my mileage may vary. :oops:

BTW I don't like by any means the new "plug in management", is there a way to have the option to select a plug ing like we've been doing in the last 12 years?

Best regards.

delcosmos.
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
labman

Post by labman »

delcosmos wrote: BTW I don't like by any means the new "plug in management", is there a way to have the option to select a plug ing like we've been doing in the last 12 years?

delcosmos.
amen to that !
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
labman

Post by labman »

DP8 is certainly sluggish here compared to 7.2x.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
dix

Post by dix »

labman wrote:
delcosmos wrote: BTW I don't like by any means the new "plug in management", is there a way to have the option to select a plug ing like we've been doing in the last 12 years?

delcosmos.
amen to that !
Right-click opens the plugin menu in the old manner.

Yes, super sluggish for me when using video. Unusably so. Here's what I've posted elsewhere in hopes someone has a solution:

The easiest way to see what I'm seeing is to launch DP8 and click around in the Finder, opening windows etc., then import a movie into DP8, start it a few times, and then do the same maneuvers back in the Finder. On my system, navigation in the Finder becomes very slow - varying with the size of the QT that DP8 is running. …and of course the video in dp is very choppy as well. Clearing the movie brings everything back to normal. No such issues in 7.

I'm thinking there's a pref that could be trashed or some setting. I've tried trashing a lot of stuff already. Any suggestions are welcome.

Also, can anyone tell me what/where "Auto-Detect Video Mode" is that the manual refers to on page 278? Tech support was also baffled by that reference in the manual.

Thanks!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
delcosmos

Post by delcosmos »

dix wrote:
labman wrote:

delcosmos.
amen to that !
Right-click opens the plugin menu in the old manner.

Yes, super sluggish for me when using video.
Thanks!
Thanks for the tip, I was having really bad time with that.

Best regards.

Delcosmos.
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
delcosmos

Post by delcosmos »

dix wrote:
labman wrote:Right-click opens the plugin menu in the old manner.
For some reason its not working in my system :(

I right-click and the menu is the same with the new search plug in option, what I'm doing wrong?
dix

Post by dix »

Hmm. Are you clicking and holding? Try control clicking.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
delcosmos

Post by delcosmos »

dix wrote:Hmm. Are you clicking and holding? Try control clicking.
Its working in my Macbook, but for some reason its not working in my Mac Pro with a Kensington Trackball, the weird thing is that the right click works on other applications or the finder but its not working in DP.
delcosmos

Post by delcosmos »

delcosmos wrote:
dix wrote:Hmm. Are you clicking and holding? Try control clicking.
Its working in my Macbook, but for some reason its not working in my Mac Pro with a Kensington Trackball, the weird thing is that the right click works on other applications or the finder but its not working in DP.
Found it! It was something with the Mouseworks application, you can set the click types per application and it was set to only left click on the four buttons of my Trackball.

Thanks dix.

delcosmos.
labman

Post by labman »

dix wrote:
Right-click opens the plugin menu in the old manner.[/quote]

yes, but due to the intermittent keystroke issues as mentioned in other threads, it is iffy at best At least on our rigs.
labman

Post by labman »

delcosmos wrote:
dix wrote:
labman wrote:Right-click opens the plugin menu in the old manner.
For some reason its not working in my system :(

I right-click and the menu is the same with the new search plug in option, what I'm doing wrong?

Nothing ! it just doenst work a lot of the time.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Have you noticed that the insert buttons effectively cut in half? the right side is used for loading/changing the inserts, and the left side is for opening the plugin window and moving/copying the plugins. Thankfully, the cursor changes to indicate what zone of the button you are on. It's possible the right-click-and-hold old dropdown menu only works on one side (probably the left side, which never brings up the plugin management window). This will take some getting used to, but I'm confident that I will learn to use it effectively. I actually really like the new plugin management window.

However, contrary to all other statements, DP8 doesn't feel sluggish at all, in fact, it feels noticeably snappier than DP7. I'm working on an old DP7 project, and I haven't encountered any of the slowdowns that everyone else is talking about. In DP7, I had some terrible scrolling problems at certain zoom levels, and DP8 clears that up, so I'm happy.

I am however having keyboard shortcut problems :(
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy