DP8 and Kontakt

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP8 and Kontakt

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Kontakt 4 in my case. Others have mentioned it elsewhere so they may want to contribute their experiences. I like being able to send MOTU a report with my email. No bothering with techlinks or bug reports over the phone. Slick!

Oh yeah... I was selecting a sound after loading a few K4 stock sounds and playing them successfully for a few minutes. Then I went to load a sound and boom... this:

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
hammerman

Re: DP8 and Kontakt

Post by hammerman »

Hey MLC, no problems with Kontakt Player 5. Maybe try that? Unless if you have the full version of Kontakt. Maybe time to upgrade that?
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
MIDI Life Crisis

I'm still playing with it. It's behaved so far but I read elsewhere that some could not get Kontakt to work at all. Off to play around with MachFive 3...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MichaelL
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by MichaelL »

I had problems immediately with DP8. You can read the background here. http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=51190

I've since updated my MOTU audio drivers, and installed OS 10.8. That didn't fix the problem.
I spent half an hour on the phone with MOTU tech support, during which time we tried to isolate the problem. The only conclusion that we reached was that there is some issue between
DP8 and Kontakt (I'm using Kontakt 5)

@MLC I had similar problem where DP crashed while loading Kontakt instruments. I turned Kontakt's memory server off, and THAT problem stopped.

Another very strange thing: MOTU tech support had me reconfigure to audio system to my MAC's built-in audio, to see if my Ultralite is the problem. When I did that all of the Kontakt
outs that were connected to DP aux ins changed to Melodyne outs!!!??? Then I reassigned one of the outs to a Kontakt out to test the system. When I switched the configuration back to
MOTU, all of the Melodyne outs changed back to the original Kontakt outs, except for the one output that I reassigned to a Kontakt out. That changed to a Melodyne out!!!!???
MIDI Life Crisis

I'll kill the memory sever. Thanks!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

MichaelL wrote:I had problems immediately with DP8. You can read the background here. http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=51190

I've since updated my MOTU audio drivers, and installed OS 10.8. That didn't fix the problem.
I spent half an hour on the phone with MOTU tech support, during which time we tried to isolate the problem. The only conclusion that we reached was that there is some issue between
DP8 and Kontakt (I'm using Kontakt 5)

@MLC I had similar problem where DP crashed while loading Kontakt instruments. I turned Kontakt's memory server off, and THAT problem stopped.

Another very strange thing: MOTU tech support had me reconfigure to audio system to my MAC's built-in audio, to see if my Ultralite is the problem. When I did that all of the Kontakt
outs that were connected to DP aux ins changed to Melodyne outs!!!??? Then I reassigned one of the outs to a Kontakt out to test the system. When I switched the configuration back to
MOTU, all of the Melodyne outs changed back to the original Kontakt outs, except for the one output that I reassigned to a Kontakt out. That changed to a Melodyne out!!!!???
Hi Michael, thanks for the great info regarding the Kontakt memory server.

I spoke to a tech at NI last week and he also suggested a tweak in Kontakts settings I never heard about with designating an odd # of cores to Kontakt.
Example : Quad - designate 3
Octo - designate 7
etc.....
Are you familiar with this tweak?
I never heard about this and I'm a bit lost with some of the settings with Kontakt & as you seem like a knowledgable Kontakt user , I was wondering what kind of other tweaks to the default Kontakt settings do you find useful for improving Kontakts setup and performance.
Thanks,
KG
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
MichaelL

Post by MichaelL »

Hi KG,

I'm far from a Kontakt expert (or any expert for that matter). I think that you can change the number of cores used in Kontakt's Preferences under "engine."

Someone suggested today that I try to use the VST version of Kontakt in DP8.

I'm working on that now.

Cheers,
Michael
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

MichaelL wrote:Hi KG,

I'm far from a Kontakt expert (or any expert for that matter). I think that you can change the number of cores used in Kontakt's Preferences under "engine."

I'm working on that now.

Cheers,
Michael
Please let us know if using Kontakt as a VST improves the DP8 experience.
Regards,
KG
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
charlesparente

Post by charlesparente »

MichaelL wrote:

I'm working on that now.

Cheers,
Michael
Yes, Yes---please let us know how K5 vst version works with DP8.
Very interesting!!

Will it be vst3 with tons of MIDI ports or plain vst with a single MIDI port per instance?
Charles
http://www.dptips.net [...my very humble tribute to DP]

DP 8-latest version, Mac OS 10.9.4, MacMini 2012, 16GB RAM, Metric Halo ULN-2d, MOTU Micro-Lite usb MIDI interface, Vienna SE, VE Pro, Kontakt latest version, many Kontakt VIs and libraries.
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

I really hope there are no problems with Kontakt and DP8. It seems like this would have been a huge part of the testing in DP8 given how popular Kontakt is in DAWs. Hope you guys get this figured out. Please update your progress and what works.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
frankf

Post by frankf »

They AU version of K5 works with DP8, I haven't used VST
Frank
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
MichaelL

Post by MichaelL »

Sorry...bad news for the moment.

I enabled the VST version of Kontakt in DP's preferences, and rescanned the VST plug-ins.
The VST version of K5 failed several times, and DP rejected it.

I uninstalled all of Komplete 8, including Kontakt 5, and I reinstalled, making sure that I reinstalled VST versions of all the components.

The same thing happened. The VST version of Kontakt failed the scan.

I'd like to know if anyone has successfully scanned the VST version of Kontakt, and whether it was part of the Komplete bundle or a single copy of Kontakt.

Oh..BTW uninstalling and reinstalling did seem to help the initial level spike problem.
Go figure.

Cheers,
Michael
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

MLC Have you gotten any response yet with Kontakt 4 fix. That's all I have for VI's right now. OWD Drums runs of that engine as well. I guess I will have to get K5 is thats the only fix
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

Anyone having problems with Kontakt 4. I will find out tonight when I finally get the hours of peace to install
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
MIDI Life Crisis

K4 will reliably crash DP8, at least running it at 64. At 32 it's probably OK, but I'm not sure about that.

My workaround has been to load the K4 stuff into MachFive 3. It won't load every preset, but enough of the ones I use to make it a decent bridge.

The bridges I've tried (Plogue Bidule and jbridge) also don't work with DP8 in 64 bit (I'm also booted in 64).

If your projects are fairly modest, you probably want to keep DP in 32 bit and definitely DO NOT boot in 64 and DP8 that way. You will loose Kontakt. An upgrade to K5 is about $200 and it is supposedly compatible (probably a 64 bit update).

So it seems the "growing pains" are involving 32 and 64 bit VI and plug compatibility. There does not seem to be a reliable way to remedy that. I'm just going to move to different instrument sets from compatible VI and M5-3 loading what it can. In those terms, I pretty much have what I need and can just run DP7 (even booted in 64 bit) and have access to my entire arsenal.

I can live with two versions of DP for the transition and hopping back and forth with them both running simultaneously is reasonably painless. My plan at the moment is to run my primary projects in DP8 at the 64b speed limit and have DP7 in the bgr if/when needed.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS