Weird Memory Performance while running DP8 in 32 bits

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
delcosmos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Weird Memory Performance while running DP8 in 32 bits

Post by delcosmos »

Hello, I noticed that when running DP8 in 32 bits, the performance monitor window is different, there is a new "Memory" meter that its all the time in red! I checked my activity monitor and the ram is not maxed, but this DP meter is all the time in red with constant spikes!

Is this normal?

I noticed that in 64bits, this window is replaced by the common "Playback" meter.
Best regards.

delcosmos.
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Weird Memory Performance while running DP8 in 32 bits

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Also noted deep in another thread recently. Thanks. Maybe in an update that will change.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
frankf

Post by frankf »

This extra metering 32 bit is noted in the install read me
Frank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

delcosmos wrote:Hello, I noticed that when running DP8 in 32 bits, the performance monitor window is different, there is a new "Memory" meter that its all the time in red! I checked my activity monitor and the ram is not maxed, but this DP meter is all the time in red with constant spikes!
Yes, very disturbing to have that thing red all the time. The worst part is, I had memory issues in DP8 (32 bit) that crashed a project I had been working on in 7.24 with no problems, and not close to the 4GB limit. So the damn little red light might be indicating a real problem!

Working with DP8 in 32bit mode yesterday, I got the impression that it isn't handling the memory quite right on my machine. Never had anything like this happen on 7.24
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
delcosmos

Post by delcosmos »

Killahurts wrote:
delcosmos wrote:Hello, I noticed that when running DP8 in 32 bits, the performance monitor window is different, there is a new "Memory" meter that its all the time in red! I checked my activity monitor and the ram is not maxed, but this DP meter is all the time in red with constant spikes!
Yes, very disturbing to have that thing red all the time. The worst part is, I had memory issues in DP8 (32 bit) that crashed a project I had been working on in 7.24 with no problems, and not close to the 4GB limit. So the damn little red light might be indicating a real problem!

Working with DP8 in 32bit mode yesterday, I got the impression that it isn't handling the memory quite right on my machine. Never had anything like this happen on 7.24
Same here! I can't play a project made with 7.23, I'm getting constant memory alerts and crashes. So sad.

Ironically, when I go back to DP 7.23 everything runs great and I can also use the new plug ins!
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

That's scary enough to make me want to wait for a DP8 update before
even installing. File under "deal-killer".
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

delcosmos wrote:
Killahurts wrote:

Same here! I can't play a project made with 7.23, I'm getting constant memory alerts and crashes. So sad.

Ironically, when I go back to DP 7.23 everything runs great and I can also use the new plug ins!
I just went back to 7.24 and discovered the same thing- except, now I can't change the themes anymore!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
delcosmos

Post by delcosmos »

Same here, fortunately, mine got stucked in the theme I use "Motools".

I'm loving the new plug ins BTW.

a.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Is this normal?

I noticed that in 64bits, this window is replaced by the common "Playback" meter.
Best regards.

delcosmos.
Are you still running OS 10.6.2?
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

OK, here's the scoop. I ran into this and emailed Magic Dave directly. He got back to me after consulting some MOTU techs and said the meter represents the amount of RAM DP has allocated for its own use, it does not show how much RAM the current project is taking. I know, confusing. I have done some tests recently loading a heavy VI pop project in 7.24 and 32 bit V8 with a low buffer (128). They both worked just fine. I think DP 8 in 32 bit mode is more efficient (though you are still limited to 4 GB RAM usage of course).

So the meter is showing "free memory that DP is holding on to". If I create an empty project with no tracks or plugs, the meter is around 40% to 50%. If I add a bunch of VI's like LA Scoring Strings and Omnisphere, it will be in the red. Not affecting performance. Keep in mind I have a blazing machine and am running 10.8.2.

Oh, check actual RAM and CPU usage with Activity Monitor. That tells the truth!
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Well, I guess I just need to figure out how to turn that damn meter right off then, so I can't see it. :lol:

Seriously, my crash had a message that essentially said DP was out of memory, and Activity Monitor said it was using 980MB, total.

BUT........if Magic Dave said what you said, I'm willing to chalk it up as an anomaly and try it (32 bit mode) again.. c'mon UAD, get those plugs to 64 bit!
dix

Post by dix »

Put me on this list. 32bit mode seems to have memory issues. I got a "DP Running Low on Available Memory" warning when starting a new sequence with just some empty VIs instantiated, while in 32bit mode. Actually, my entire system runs really slow when DP8 is running in 32bit mode. All seems fine in 64bit mode. …also noticed that the Help access to the PDF manual isn't implemented in 32bit mode.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
delcosmos

Post by delcosmos »

dix wrote:Put me on this list. 32bit mode seems to have memory issues. I got a "DP Running Low on Available Memory" warning when starting a new sequence with just some empty VIs instantiated, while in 32bit mode. Actually, my entire system runs really slow when DP8 is running in 32bit mode. All seems fine in 64bit mode. …also noticed that the Help access to the PDF manual isn't implemented in 32bit mode.
Same here, I got that same warning at the beginning of today session (DP Running Low on Available Memory), I mean the templete was empty, I was starting with some Addictive Drums and a Battery :( :smash:
rmills007

Post by rmills007 »

Experiencing all these same issues, the off the chart memory, the themes no longer working in v7.24 (funny, I'm also stuck in MoTools), among other things.

When I launch DP8 in 64bit, it slows my entire MAC to a snails pace. I was trying to type an email with DP8 running in the background, and it took several seconds for each character to appear after hitting a key.

Crazy stuff. I can wait for updates, but wow, what a disappointing release.

MAC Pro (2,1)2 x 3GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon. 16GB RAM.
OSX 11.6.1, DP 11.02, Metric Halo ULN-2, Plug-Ins and stuff.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

rmills007 wrote:Experiencing all these same issues, the off the chart memory, the themes no longer working in v7.24 (funny, I'm also stuck in MoTools), among other things.

When I launch DP8 in 64bit, it slows my entire MAC to a snails pace. I was trying to type an email with DP8 running in the background, and it took several seconds for each character to appear after hitting a key.

Crazy stuff. I can wait for updates, but wow, what a disappointing release.

MAC Pro (2,1)2 x 3GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon. 16GB RAM.
Search on Themes on this board. The DP8 installer overwrites DP7 format themes with newer ones that don't work with DP7. I uploaded an archive with the older format themes you can download and copy back into the Themes folder.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!